What's new

Top 10 Movies You'd Never Admit To Liking (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Great topic, but sorry, the movies I'd never admit to liking, I'll NEVER admit to liking! LOL! So in the meantime, I'll just point... and laugh... and mock.... (not really)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
For years I have disliked the term "guilty pleasure" and it finally occurred to me why: it allows critics of a film to frame the debate and forces its defenders to instantly cede the debate over its merits to them.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper

For me, hands down it has to be "Dude, Where's my Car?"

It has to be one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen, but I just love it, and laugh my ass off every time I watch it. Tons of great one liners in it.
Dude, alone you are not.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Independence Day is an insult to science fiction filled with over-the-top performances, a ludicrous plot, and a laughable ending. It is basically a multi-million dollar version of a bad 50s "B" SF movie. Did I see it in the theater? Yes - three times. Do I own it on DVD? Bought it the day it came out. Is it one of the most-watched discs in my collection? Of course it is. Oh... I feel so dirty. Harlan Ellison would never forgive me.

Regards,

Joe

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino ">[/url]

[i]Independence Day[/i] is an insult to science fiction filled with over-the-top performances, a ludicrous plot, and a laughable ending. It is basically a multi-million dollar version of a bad 50s "B" SF movie. Did I see it in the theater? Yes - three times. Do I own it on DVD? Bought it the day it came out. Is it one of the most-watched discs in my collection? Of course it is. Oh... I feel so dirty. Harlan Ellison would never forgive me.

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
I actually liked "john tucker must die" I really only watched it to drool over Arielle Kebbel and sophia bush

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Independence Day is a great movie. Plausible? Most definitely not. But, it is a lot of fun. Several of the movies mentioned here I wouldn't even think of as "guilty pleasures". These films are too good for that. Take, UHF, for example. I boldy announce that I love that film. I saw it three times in the theaters. Each time was with a packed house, especially with the second and third viewings as those were at the cheaper theaters.

Sorry, Ben, I didn't care for Anchorman. I thought it was pretty bad actually. But, I'm glad somebody liked it. Offhand, though, on a strange note: I can't think of one movie that had a visible erection joke, like in Anchorman, that was any good. The longer the scene, the worse the movie seems to be. I'm not sure why that is.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
The Cutting Edge - If my wife or I flip by it on cable we always stop, telling ourselves we'll just watch a little. Then before you know it the end credits are rolling.

"Toe Pick"

And Moira Kelly was at her cutest.

Plus it has Locke in it.

lol

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
My first thought was also the American Pie movies, all of them, but my top absolutely has to be Skin Deep. My wife and I saw it on one of the premium channels a long time ago and laughed so hard we both had tears rolling down our face. A few years later we saw the DVD in the store on sale and picked it up. We forgot exactly how raunchy it was and watched it with some friends...

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
Hmmm, my most guilty pleasures?

* Flash Gordon (1980) - Hilariously funny, ultra cheesy flick with a great soundtrack and a marvellous Max von Sydow.
* Batman (1966) - Move away Christian Bale, here comes Adam West! Shark repellent spray included.
* Galactica 3 : Conquest of the Earth (1980) - Theatrical film cut together from episodes of the Galactica 1980 series. As a 4 year old child, I had this on a VHS tape and watched it up and down. I was such a fan that when I first saw Star Wars a few years later, I thought the X-Wings were a rip-off from Battlestar Galactica.
...there are lots of bad movies, which ironically cease to be "bad" movies once they become so ridiculous that, at least for me, the entertainment value rises above mediocre movies.

(now goes hiding under a rock)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm known to like "arthouse" films, so I wouldn't necessarily bring these up:

Two Moon Junction - I haven't seen this in a decade, but I always inexplicably liked this movie.

Alvin and the Chipmunks - Come on, Theodore is ADORABLE.

Spread - I have a feeling this recent Kutcher film is something I'd watch again. It's kind of a cliched story with a low-budget feel, but Ashton is lovely. (There were walkouts when I saw this.)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Hey Oliver, I enjoy FLASH GORDON (1980) also! I even purchased the UK Special Edition DVD a couple years ago. Sadly it didn't come in the SteelBook.
I quite enjoy UHF also.

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
Originally Posted by Ray_R /forum/thread/291703/top-10-movies-you-d-never-admit-to-liking/30#post_3599804

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Oliver_A /forum/thread/291703/top-10-movies-you-d-never-admit-to-liking/30#post_3599907

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
If Flash Gordon comes out on Blu with a crap transfer but a high bitrate lossless audio track I'll probably buy it, so much of my enjoyment comes from the soundtrack.

Regarding Citizen Kane, I'm with you guys there as well. Now, Touch of Evil, there was a great movie.

Oh, and CB4 and I'm Gonna Get You, Sucka are probably worth of inclusion here, to return the the original topic at hand.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I also agree with you about Citizen Kane. It's really good, but I don't think it even cracks my top 100. It is so overrated.

I didn't know they made a Galactica 3. I dunno, though. I loved the Battlestar Galactica series, but the 1980 version was, uh, less than ideal to put it mildly. That series was almost like the BSG version of Superman. What were they thinking?!

I've always liked the Flash Gordon movie. It's a little silly perhaps, but holds it own.

Here's a couple I can add that I really enjoy:

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. Buck Rogers is the only one I can think off hand that had a theatrical movie turned into a series with the same cast. Of course they had in mind the series to begin with.

The Black Hole. This was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I still enjoy it today despite there being no scientific basis in reality.

Well spotted Reagan, but I was being ironic. Plus, I already preempted that joke in my OP by saying if anyone takes me too literally I'll get a series of blank posts in reply.
Originally Posted by Reagan
If I listed them here, then I would be admitting that I liked them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks