What's new

Tonight Show "Vault" Series-Some Thoughts (2 Viewers)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Three strikes and you're out Mr. Sotzig. What a fool I was to think this dishonorable cheapskate could EVER change his tune.

Sotzing has shut down the YT channel and EVERYTHING is gone now. Not just the full episodes that were posted but so too all the clips. The explanation?

"This account has been terminated due to repeated or severe violations of our Community Guidelines and/or claims of copyright infringement."

WHAT copyright infringement??? This was posted by the COPYRIGHT OWNER of the material! Unless the companies behind the original ads from the full shows objected what could *possibly* be the problem??

No, I think what's obvious is that Sotzing realized that full shows posted could be downloaded and converted to DVD and that doesn't sit well with him. So off goes this material and if we want to see full shows again we have to pay for them in his half-assed DVD fashion.

Shame on you, Jeff Sotzing.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well the channel is all of a sudden back up again. I have no idea what happened here to cause it to disappear but I am glad to have been proved wrong and I will humbly retract my earlier assumptions. Now let's hope that more full episodes will continue.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Jack, you were right the first time. Three strikes. The You Tube episodes now carry a fee to watch. Apparently still edited. I don't mind not wanting to give these away, but at least make them available on a DVD as intact as possible. Also, more than 2 episodes please as that leaves DVD space "on the table".

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Sheesh. This guy just toys with the emotions ike a yo-yo. The only reason why I didn't mind the edits on the YT episodes was because they were free. Now he wants to play this game again. Wht a first rate jerk.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
disappointed. I downloaded a few of the youtubes just because I knew they wouldn't be avail for long. bummer...

I'll hold off buying the DVDs. I agree there needs to be more per disc set. this is 2013 going on 2014, not 2000 going on 2001.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Jack P said:
Sheesh. This guy just toys with the emotions ike a yo-yo. The only reason why I didn't mind the edits on the YT episodes was because they were free. Now he wants to play this game again. Wht a first rate jerk.
Not only has the fee been introduced, but suddenly if you live in Canada you've been shut out (this video is not available in your country). Yet, they have no problem selling the DVD's to Canadian customers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The entire thing stinks.

These people need to figure out a business model that won't alienate whatever customer base they have left. And they better figure it out soon...or else there won't be any sales for them or any product for those of us left who care.
angry-smiley-053.gif

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm just glad I downloaded and converted to DVD all the ones posted before he slapped the fee on them. And unless I see an episode I *really* want I'm not giving his stuff the time of day any longer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
I'm just glad I downloaded and converted to DVD all the ones posted before he slapped the fee on them. And unless I see an episode I *really* want I'm not giving his stuff the time of day any longer.
Were there just 4 available episodes? 11-2-79, 11-13-79, 11-21-79, 11-22-79.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Where is the Bombastic Bushkin when you need him? Whoever's controlling this has a way over inflated valuation on what they're holding. Sure, we'd love to see some memorable Carson shows again, but the sell-by date passed 10 years ago for paying any premium for that privilege.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mike, I don't know how many were available but think it was more than 4. Mark Evanier linked to a 11-17-77 (Klein, Bombeck) episode as well as one from 11-24-77 (Hackett) so that means at least 6. I had seen bits and pieces but had hoped to carve out time post T-giving to watch more. Too slow I guess.

Agree 100% on your comment about Carson Enterprises needing to figure out a business model ASAP. Johnny was and is an enormously popular figure but considering the first 15 or so years post retirement was nothing but the same clips recycled over and over and over didn't do his legacy any favors. Now that we're 20+ years past there's an entire generation who have no "live" memory of Carson and how good late night really was before "Jay-Walking" and "Will it Float" dumbed everything down. The 90 minute Tonights were especially good at allowing good conversation before everything had to be focused on pitching whatever movie/CD needed publicity.

I wonder how much of this falls back on Carson himself. He was insistent on owning the masters after he found out about NBC erasing the first 10 years, but did he really have a vision on how his legacy was to be served? The fact this has fallen on a nephew rather than either of his sons is telling of the strained relationship b/ father and sons.

At this point, would a syndication deal with the likes of ME-TV be feasible? They have fairly wide coverage and it would reach a receptive audience. My guess is that ME wouldn't be able to afford Sotzig's price though. However, it would provide good publicity and advertising for the DVDs.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It was nine episodes all told. Two from 1977, four from 1979, two from 1981 (those were posted more than a month ago) and one from 1986. I did all except the 1981 one which had the talking/singing birds that would not sing which I already had from an original broadcast recording.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
It was nine episodes all told. Two from 1977, four from 1979, two from 1981 (those were posted more than a month ago) and one from 1986. I did all except the 1981 one which had the talking/singing birds that would not sing which I already had from an original broadcast recording.
Thanks, Steve and Jack. Yeah, I forgot about the two '81 episodes.

So, I guess I missed the two from '77 and the one from '86. Darn it!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think I got all but the Klein one. :( I'd like to see Klein's standup show from the 80s too. Been years... (googling...) holy moly! There's a DVD set of 8 of his specials. Had to find that after ripping my wallet to shreads last weekend! ..I'll be getting that early next year. Awesome.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mr. Klein is a very funny and underappreciated talent. I don't know if Leno/Letterman still book him, but hopefully he's still getting exposure.

Speaking of guys from the Tonight Show comic legends, ..my wife and I caught David Brenner during one of our Vegas trips and he was a funny, funny man although it was kind of weird seeing his opening video montage (full of Carson appearances) and out walks a much older man (but still looking good). Great material too.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I used to think the dad's best friend on Courtship of Eddie's Father was David Brenner. :D They looked alike to me at 3 or 4 yrs old.

I used to use a lot of R. Kleins stand up over and over when I was playing oldies for about 14 years. One of my favorite bits he ever did was from his Child of the 50s stuff. The one about air attack drills when he was in grade school. "We bomb at 12 o'clock Ivan, they won't know they'll think it's lunch...!" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks