What's new

Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life - Low Center Channel Dialogue Level? (1 Viewer)

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Watched it last night and everyone remarked how low the dialogue volume was in comparison to the other channels. To clearly hear conversations, I had to increase the volume to the point that the effects were way too loud. I've never experienced this before to this degree.

Anyone else observe this?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I just watched this last night and I definately noticed this too. I was wondering if my hearing was going bad. Oh well, the movie was not that good anyway. I am just glad it was a rental.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I bought it only because I enjoyed the first Tomb Raider. But **nod**, the sound is definitely sub-par. My center channel dialogue was the sameway.

Scott.

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
What's amazing to me is that of the 5 or 6 reviews I've read, not one has mentioned this problem. In fact many mentioned how clear the dialogue was.

Makes you wonder if they even watch the DVDs...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like Dolby Digital Dial Norm rears its ugly head again!

A shame.

Yet one more reason we need high rez., master quality PCM on the next HD formats.

Dan

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I bought it only because I enjoyed the first Tomb Raider. But **nod**, the sound is definitely sub-par. My center channel dialogue was the sameway.
That is why I bought it. I really enjoyed the first one and wanted to complete the set. I am glad that I decided to rent it and take the one I bought back.

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
Am I imagining things or am I just going deaf, but it seems like with a lot of new dvd's lately, that I have to turn the volumn dial up quite a bit, to get an acceptable sound level.

Randy S.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
It's called Dynamic Range. I can see most people here, don't like it. Use the Dynamic Range Compression feature on your receivers, and you won't have to turn the volume so high, that you'll be blown out of the room, when an explosion occurs. I however, love the range of sound that DVDs have. I have TR: COL and I did not have any problems with the dialog being too low.

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Scott:

I wasn't singling your review out (in fact I didn't see it); no one mentioned the apparent low dialogue problem in any of the website reviews.

I'll admit my hearing isn't the best, and some DVDs are mixed better than others regarding dialogue but based on the responses to this thread something's not right (or we're all going deaf).

BTW: Dial Norm on my Denon is at "0" (75db) although I rarely play it that loud...

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The surrounds are very active, and the score was at times overpowering (something I did comment on in my review), but I had no problem hearing the dialog at all, with the exception of understanding the Scottish accent at times. Of course, I'm working on several-weeks-old recollections here.

My hearing is perfect, literally (I wish my eyes were so good). I also have near-perfect pitch. Hearing dialog isn't likely to be a problem for me... so I may complain about other aspects of the mix being too hot, rather than the dialog being too low. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

-Scott

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Interesting thread..

I rented this for my wife. I was doing other things while she was watching, but I distinctly recall being very surprised how loud she had it. There action sequences were rocking the house, and she NEVER enjoys films at the "appropriate" volume as I do.

But, if the film DID have very wide dynamic range as previously suggested, or if the dialog was simply a few clicks lower than normal relative to the loud sequences, that would easily explain why she had it cranked so loud.

Not that I am complaining....its good to see the missus using the system properly:D

BGL

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The only thing this movie was lacking[soundwise] is the bass.I agree the dialog was fine,and yes it was very dynamic.This will no doubt will joint to movies like TPM and Reloaded as the"dialog is too low" for some people.Count me out.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks