What's new

Tom & Jerry: Spotlight Collection announced (1 Viewer)

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Originaly posted by: Jay Pennington

Actually the coverart pays tribute to the T&J Theatrical classic "The Million Dollar Cat". The one where Tom inherits a million dollars. The fancy Hat and suite Tom and Jerry are wearing on the DVD are very similar to what they wore in this short.

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Being a pretty big fan of the TV show as a kid I'm pretty sure the character art on the DVD is NOT from that show.

Although it has been awhile since I've seen this show, I did double check by going to a website that covers the show and has some pictures:

http://1975tomjerry.50megs.com/

IMHO the designs look different than the ones on the DVD coverart.

Tom's head for example is much rounder and Jerry's eyes are more circular in the TV show.

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Well I wouldn't say they are carbon copies of the original designs but I don't think theres THAT much a difference. Jerry looks ok if you ask me.

At first glance I'd easily recogize them as Tom and Jerry.

Many classic character designs that has been used for VHS sales or merchendise have been "touched up" to a degree over the years (Looney Tunes, Disney characters etc.)
Anoying? Yes. But I don't quibble over a few slight diffences.

Especially since the original designs themselves also changed a little throughout the 40s and 50s.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. The art looks fine to me.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I know this thread is about the forthcoming R1 release of the cartoons, but the R2 releases may still have some bearing on the topic. Set 4 has just been released Kingdomside and it isn't pretty. Although it includes my personal favourite "Mice Follies", it includes the first of the CinemaScope cartoons - and they're pan and scan (ugly pan and scan at that). I could only watch a couple of seconds of "Muscle Beach Tom" before I had to switch off. Shame on you, Warners! Shame on you!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Amazon have got an alternate (worse) cover up - the background's been changed to a plain white one:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

All of the CinemaScope cartoons will be OAR on the R1 sets. It's been said before... the R1 sets will not suffer from the problems the R2 editions have.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The list of cartoons is somewhat disappointing. I was expecting at least the very first Tom & Jerry cartoon on there. The earliest T&J cartoon we're getting is from '43, though the series started in '40.

Suspiciously, it appears that only ONE "Mammy" cartoon is on this set ("The Little Orphan"). I guess Warner is trying too hard to be politically correct. I was definitely hoping for "Fraidy Cat".

Still, could be worse, I guess. There could be NO Mammy cartoons, though I suspect the only reason this toon made it onto the set is because it was an Academy Award winner and, perhaps, Mammy isn't in it much (that's just speculation, I don't remember this short).

MikeGifford

Auditioning
The Little Orphan just has Mammy bringing out the turkey on a big platter. No words, just walking in from the kitchen to the dining room with the platter, puts the platter down on the table, and exits.

So, no. I wouldn't consider this a Mammy short. The Mouse Comes To Dinner would be more a Mammy short, even though her appearance is almost as brief - but in this short, she hums and declares the table as "beautiful," and that she hopes "nothing happens to it before the company gets there."

MattHR

Screenwriter
As I feared, this set is not uncut. All I needed to do was jump right to "The Little Orphan". It's the same edited version from the previous "T&J's Greatest Chases" compilation DVD.

The back cover of this new set claims to contain "restored" and "remastered" cartoons. I couldn't detect any "remastering" when comparing the quality of the shorts from this set that also appear on the previous DVD's.

More "double-dipping" influenced by lies and deceipt. Do "truth in labeling" laws not apply to movie studios?
When will the madness ever end?
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I thought Jerry Beck was behind this set. It would be very unlikely that it would be another messed up release, since WB has handled the Looney Tunes set beautifully.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, not to go off topic but didn't a short Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume One set have a accidental edit. That was supervised by Leonard Maltin so its not like this hasn't happened before.

David Galindo

Screenwriter

Nono, thats totally different. This is a cut because of the racial issues that some kids might not get if they watch it (we're in "Song of the South" territory here) even though its not too bad (not sure about this, since Ive never seen the cartoon).

I honestly dont care anymore if something is cut. If I cant notice it, then its fine with me. Nothings perfect.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Well, that's a very disappointing turn of events, to say the least.

Since the set isn't officially out yet I think Warner should do the right thing, recall the faulty sets, push the release date and fix them. But I guess an exchange program is the best we can hope for. Better than the way Paramount are "handling" the Ren & Stimpy debacle, that's for sure.

Chris

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yes, that did happen. (The short was "The Clock Cleaners". One of Donald Ducks lines was changed because someone thought that he was swearing.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks