What's new

Tom and Jerry (1 Viewer)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I was watching Cartoon Network Wednesday at 6pm central and Tom and Jerry came on. The first cartoon on was an old one where the maid gets a mechanical cat to replace Tom.

The voice of the maid was different. Someone dubbed in a new ladies voice. Has anyone else noticed this? Will the PC police never stop? I hope when the episodes come out on dvd they will put the originals on uncut and unblemished.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Cartoon Network has been doing that for sometime now. Some folks do find the Maid or 'Mammy' character to be offensive. If you also pay closer attention the legs of the maid used to be brown but now are covered with white or off white stockings. And depending on the episode the arms and hands of the maid have been changed to Caucasian. The voice is sometimes Irish as well.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. It is similiar to when my high school changed our mascot from redskins to knights. But I am not going to start that discussion here.

djb

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
MGM had been editing Mable the Maid out of Tom & Jerry years before The Cartoon Network began showing them.
I have a big problem with this type of PC reinvention as do every African American I have ever asked about it over the years...they have told me that they have no problem at all with Mable and many said that those cartoons were a big part of their childhood as they were mine......what can you do?

RafaelB

Second Unit
This makes me thankful that the unaltered cartoons themselves are on the laserdisc set. ;)

Rafael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks