What's new

Tom and Jerry Collections (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
DavisDVD reports the following today:

Wasn't WB supposed to release T&J complete and unedited, restored and in widescreen where applicable sometime this year in R1 - as announced in their previous chat? This doesn't seem to be it however.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Why doesn't this seem to be it? It says "Look for Tom and Jerry: Classic Collection vol. 2 on May 3rd, with more collections set for release throughout 2004." Couldn't we assume its unedited, restored and in OAR like they said? And buying all the collections will make it complete?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Does this mean I can sell off my LD collections while they're still worth something?

I don't know which I hate more, holding on to something and seeing the value plummet to near zero or selling off something that is never duplicated on the new format.

Decisions, Decisions??????

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The reason I said it doesn't seem to be it is the low price and lack of extras.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Even moreso than the Looney Tunes, T&J was subject to brutal editing, especially in recent years, and it's much more likely some edit will still slip through the cracks. So I'd definitely hold onto those LDs until we get a clearer read on how thorough the restoration has been.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

These DVD's will definitely be presented uncut and unedited in their original theatrical context, there is no doubt about that.

MGM cartoon titles were replaced for theatrical re-issue and that is how those negatives remain to this day, so that is the only aspect - similar to the Looney Tunes Blue Ribbon credits - that will unfortunately remain in an altered state.

Here are direct quotes from animation historian Jerry Beck, in regards to the upcoming sets, who is currently working in collaboration with Warner Bros to remaster and compile these classic cartoon shorts for DVD release:

"Because I work freelance for Warner Bros. Home Video, I've been asked to NOT reveal their future plans regarding classic cartoons on DVD until they give me the greenlight. Because I value my involvement with these projects (and have gotten in enough trouble with my big mouth) I am restricted from commenting on some queries from members of this forum.

Thus occasionally I may post something that, if you read between the lines, will tell you what you need to know for now.

That said... Save your DVD pennies on those Tom & Jerry collections. I can't tell you why... yet."

"I can only confirm a TOM & JERRY collection in September - and LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION in November. I'm working on others - but my lips are contractually sealed."

"I cannot discuss the upcoming TOM & JERRY set - other than to say it is aimed at collectors - it will not have as much bonus material as the LT set... Mammy will be present... All the cartoons will be uncut - However it will not be a clone of THE ART OF TOM & JERRY laser discs. Different programming.

That's all I can say (and i probubly said too much)."

Have faith, it sounds as if some excellent steps are being integrated into developing these sets and there are certainly dedicated people on baord. At the same time though, I'd hang on to those T&J laserdiscs in referance to the last comment posted.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Sounds like they're just breaking up the continuity similar to the LT sets.

I'm gonna have to make a decision on my LDs pretty soon. I paid about $600 for the set and hate to see that money completely disappear.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

In what regard?

I am 95% sure that the shorts compiled will be presented in chronological order of their theatrical release dates. I would bet a great sum of money on that.

They are being released in multiple volumes (likely 2), in order to economize for the value of each.

I believe there were a total of 111 original Hanna Barbera MGM produced theatrical cartoons between 1940 and 1958 (pre-Gene Deitch Chuck Jones years), and accounting for supplemental features and bonus material, that would be one overpacked multi-disc collection if released as one mega-set!

The decision to release these collections in what will likely ammount to two seperate volumes, will not only allow for the inclusion of many more supllementals; commentaries, documentaries, pencil-tests, etc; but also allow for a much more affordable MSRP which will satisfy consumers and result in better sales - which in the end will also work to the advantage of us animation enthusiasts.

You can tell I'm really looking forward to this collection, moreso than almost any other DVD set coming this year and I expect great things!

I'm sure more specs will be revealed in the coming months...

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Chronological would have been a better word for me to use. It's early on a Monday.

I'm simply making an educated guess. The R2 DVDs don't appear to be chronlogical, and Mr. Beck stated that these sets won't be a clone of the LDs. Since they are chronological with no extras, I assumed that to mean that the chronology will be scrambled.

In reality, just a guess.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I think he was talking more in terms of supplemental features. The focus will be directed more on the collection of shorts, as opposed to say 'The Looney Tunes Golden Collection' with it's plethora of obscure documentaries and interviews, etc. This will likely contain a couple of relative documentaries and some commentary tracks but nothing in context to the extras seen on the laserdisc issue which is what I believe he was referencing. I don't own any laserdisc though, so I can't comment on this.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused by Beck's comment.
That sounds to me like a warning not to spend money on them--i.e., save your pennies for something else. But if he's working on them, that doesn't make much sense. Does he mean save your pennies FOR these collections? If so, he phrased it pretty badly. :confused:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I think he meant to say "Save your pennies FOR these releases"

At least, that's what I'm hoping.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I think he means we should save up for them. That's my interpretation.

I too would like them to be presented in chronological theatrical order. Preferably with all original titles, since a lot, if not most, of the shorts had their titles changed. There was a thread at some animation forum I read about this and Jerry Beck stated that the very originals are probably gone forever, but I hope they're able to at least restore them digitally.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Paul, to my knowledge none of the original MGM theatrical title cards exist in any vaults and no ammount of restoration or digital production will change that as they do not have access to any existing negatives to work with. Aside from one frame posted on Jerry Beck's website, which Ive been told was captured shortly before the film deteriorated, I have never in my life seen an original Tom & Jerry title sequence as almost all credits of the forties have been replaced with theatrical reissues. I can guarantee that they will not be presented as such on any upcoming DVD collections or ever again for that matter. It's a shame that these shorts were neglected for so many years but thankfully we now have the means to preserve what remaining elements are left.

As for the 'pennies' statement, Jerry was just illustrating his enthusiasm by urging us all to save our money for the upcoming release - I guess it would have been more effective if I had simply posted a link to the respective threads.. In any event, please do not take his statement out of context.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Marco, I know they don't exist, but I too saw that single frame of the original titles and I was hoping it could be possible to recreate the titles, at least as an extra on the set(s).

This is what I'm referring to, for those who may not know what we're talking about: http://www.cartoonresearch.com/mgm.html

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I'm too old to enjoy animation. Yeah right! Count me in on this set, as well as the future ones. Time to start saving my pennies!

Steve K.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Paul, unfortunately it would be extremely difficult to match any lost titles with their respective films. I dont think anyone at Time Warner right now would have the knowledge and precision to effectively do this, let alone the interest and financial backing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks