What's new

To Those Calling Retailers for LORD OF THE RINGS: Please Stop! (1 Viewer)

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Sean B.

About that redlight thing. You must not live where cameras on the signal light will protect you from yourself.

Man oh man. The tone this thread has taken. I'm looking forward to probably getting this disc on Tuesday. But then, that is Safe Streets Night and our Neighborhood Watch will probably have a block party in the cul-de-sac. Whether I see this August 6 or August 10, will my life be in any measurable way different or improved? I don't think so.

I understand the thrill of anticipation that LOTR fans feel as the movie release approaches, and if I saw it a shelf early, I'd grab the disc also. But I don't get the fervor that so many exhibit over having it NOW or SOONER.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
If the studio shipped a few days before the street date there wouldn't be this problem. Please...if i'm missing something here - let me know.
Do you realize how many retailers there are throughout the world they are shipping to. It does take weeks to fill all the orders so everyone has them on time for the release date.

Wes

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
The only question I have is, Has calling an e-tailer trying to get a DVD early ever worked in the history of the industry?

"Hello, I know you have thousands of preorders for this DVD that's coming out in a couple of weeks, but I'd like mine now and I'm special. Send it to me now please."

I would fully expect the customer service guy on the other end of the line to hang up on me a split second before he fell out of his chair laughing.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Street date could be enforced for all retailers regardless of volume and other factors.
I don't understand how in the hell this answers my question which you quoted and then gave this response.

I was asking about how "fair play" factors in when big chains leverage unfair advantages by utilizing their size as power. It seems clear that you didn't have that answer, so you just returned to the mantra of "enforce the street date".

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I was asking about how "fair play" factors in when big chains leverage unfair advantages by utilizing their size as power.
It seems clear that you didn't have that answer, so you just returned to the mantra of "enforce the street date".
I did answer the question, but must have made the mistake of assuming that "volume and other factors" was self explanatory. I apologize for that oversight and illucidate below.
BTW, How did you know I've studied Eastern religions? :D
Sure the big guys get a break on cost per unit because they can sell more volume, but it is also an added burden because they have to sell huge quantities to make a profit as their margin is only pennies per unit (or even a loss in "loss leader" cases where profit must be made up on other items). And yes this is because the big buys have "leverage" to negotiate.
Mom and Pops on the other hand do not have that "leverage," but they do offer (from my experience) better customer service. This does usually mean a higher price to the consumer, but their margins become much higher per unit in exchange for that service meaning they can sell fewer and still make a respectable profit.
This means that The big guys and Mom & Pops each have a separate market segment that they can target and still make money for a given title appropriate to to the volume thay sell. This is inherently fair because each caters to a different group of consumers through a balance of supply and demand of product and service of those two separate market segments.
Now we factor in street date, which when broken by a big chain, can take away business from the Mom & Pop with the temptation to their usual customer of having a title early. This "drawing away" of their customer base is when it becomes unfair, and supports the idea that "if there were no "before street date market there would be no need to break street date." Also, the temptation be a Mom & Pop to follow the lead of a big chain and break street date to compete for that early market can result in the story told previously.
Like I said, all other things taken into account, street date is a factor that can be enforced on all retailers regardless of other factors. I'm not asking the big guys to share their profits and voulme ability with the little guys, only to let the Mom & Pops deliver to their usual market to stay afloat without the big chains canibalizing their support base through the tempation of early sales. That's where it becomes unfair.
As I've said before, I guess it really comes down to the individual choice of what people can justify and rationalize. If nothing else, the writing on this thread illustrates that.
That's just my two cents. Spend them as you see fit.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
You must not live where cameras on the signal light will protect you from yourself.
No, I'm just a criminal mastermind. ;)
I also have driven over the speed limit on occasion, and I am the one responsible for the snake-head fish.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
So long as you keep both hands on the wheel, I don't care what sort of head your fish has.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I went to my local Best Buy today and they are in fact selling LOTR at 12:01 8/6. Apparently, the "festivities" start at 10:30 the night before. Anyone know anything about what these "festivities" are, or should I just show up at 11:55?

Mike

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
You can read in my other thread in this Forum that I picked up a copy on Thursday but I won't be giving up the retailers name since I don't want to get them in trouble. I don't think that the girl at the counter knew what she was doing but I wasn't about to tell her. :D

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Seriously, haven't you heard of that fish?
The snake-head fish. It's this really freaky fish from Asia that has turned up in some lakes here in America. I guess
people are worried about it causing serious problems with our lake-ecosytstems over time. If you think I'm joking, click here
They say the fish consumes all other fish in a lake or pond, even its own young.
It can also slither across land and stay out of water for up to 3 days!
This is all bad stuff. And as if that weren't bad enough, they just learned about some more frightening characteristics of the snake-head fish that haven't been revealed to the public yet. These are true.
Apparently the snake-head fish can fly over people's heads and memorize their credit card numbers.
It brings domestic beer to parties, but then drinks imports from your fridge.
Plus, it constantly reminds you of it's close friendship with Leonardo DiCaprio.
And finally, this is the worst! It refers to itself in the third person, saying things like, "snake-head don't play that".
That's not good! I hope "Fish and Game" can take this thing out! Freaky!
This thing is definitely more of a problem than something silly like worrying about breaking DVD street dates!

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I had heard reports of the Asian predator fish, but forgotten both the reports and the name of the fish. Now that I know that my Link Removed are in danger, I will not be likely to forget again. "We cannot chose the times in which we live, we can only choose the ales we drink..."

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
I was in Ireland Last week and it was out on Thursday but it had a 38$ street price
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
. They were ahead on that one but easily 2 weeks to a month behind in all other releases, dvd or theater.
Matt:)

David Oliver

Second Unit
You realize that some of you folks sound INSANE!:D
Now what is this $10 rebate for after 8/6 deal? I was planning on just waiting for the 4-disc version, but if there is some sort of rebate I might pick up the 2-disc version.
Anyway, why aren't we talking about the real important release on Tuesday, The Simspons: The Complete Second Season!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks