What's new

To Those Calling Retailers for LORD OF THE RINGS: Please Stop! (1 Viewer)

Gruson

Second Unit
There are always ways to get a movie early. It is worth it for me to even pay extra to have it early.

I say call different stores up and if you find someone who is selling it or will ship it early, it is your win.

Good luck!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The future rebates are only valid for LOTR purchases made on or after 8/6, and the original receipt is required.
Since it was buried in the main thread, could someone post how the rebate works for LOTR? Is this an instore coupon, a mail in program? Is it territory limited (ie only the US). The Canadian version apparently doesn't have a coupon. I haven't seen this film, so don't know whether I'll want the huge box set or not, but if I can get a discount, I want to know.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Chris - no it's a bad thing but it doesn't have any impact when one buys it.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I imagine all those DVDs we got early from months ago. They are all sitting there on the shelf, some unopened, and looking fairly impressive but ultimately quite ordinary. Not much excitement there anymore, huh? Wow, we were busting teeth trying to get high-profile titles before everyone else and now...? Ho-hum.

This "get it early" thing is akin to getting a drug fix. Just one more fix, one more DVD before street date, ooh look I got it, Lord of the Rings oh man, getting that... I gotta get another... where's Spider-Man... oh....

Time to check into DVD rehab.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Again, what follows is just my opinion on the matter, and is not meant to offend anyone, so please do not take it as such.

I agree with Ron strongly on this...there is little to "gain" for HTF users by stopping this practice unless you simply spite those that were lucky enough to receive their copies. That's a pretty poor reason to turn in a vendor, IMHO.
It has nothing to do with spite, and everything to do with fairness, from the studios to the chains to the mom & pops to the consumer. As long as some are treated differently no one is treated fairly.

The real shame is that it appears to me that a majority of the members of this forum feel we have earned this "benefit" because we are DVD fans if for no other reason. It saddens me to feel that as a group we seem to think rules are for others to follow and not us.

One too many times I have seen the Mom & Pop store go the way of the Dodo because of the practices of the big chains. The tempataion to survive against the big chains took down one of my favorite M&P stores in San Antonio when they were found to be routinely breaking street date in order to compete with the nearest chain down the street, who word has it, turned them into the major distributors who embargoed product for 6 months. Unable to rent many of the latest titles, the store went under less than 9 months later. It did not matter that the same chain to this day routinely breaks street dates by as much as 2 weeks and already has LOTR on the shelves as I type this. Where's the fairness in this situation? If the rules were imposed the same on everybody, my favorite store would still be open. Sadder still, that store was taken down by breaking the rules when the chain flourishes for doing exactly the same thing. To me this is madness.

Rules are in place for the reason of fairness. To approve of them being broken, actively or tacitly, shows a lot about that person's sense of right or wrong. The concept of selective enforcement of rules is never fair, but alas, something long-time memebrs of this forum have come to see as S.O.P.

There on the forum about talking about piracy as it is officailly not codoned, and memebrs have been admonished for even rearing it's ugly head. But I have never seen it charactirized as a "Shulze" is as it has in this thread. That in and of itself speaks volumes.

I'm no innocent in this issue, as I have received product early by mail as well, but I do not routinely seek it out nor brag about it when it occurs. Nor do I give my business for establishments that due becuase of the story I told above.

Just because a person benefits materially does not make a thing right. This is the same rationalization that as been used throughout history to justify wrongs both meek and mighty. And no, this issue is not something as profound as war, famine, or genocide; but it is reflective of our attitudes and tells us who we are.

JMO.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

I truly understand your position.

I never said breaking street date was the
right thing to do nor did we deserve it as
DVD Fans.

What I am saying is that it is a benefit that
we enjoy and it will not be this forum's purpose
to ruin that benefit for anyone.

While I understand the problem for Mom & Pop
stores that do play by the rules, it's not our
duty as members here to report violaters on this
forum.

You would think that with the widespread
problem of street date breakage the studios would
be beefing up their efforts to stop it, and quite
frankly, if I were the owner of my own store I
would be doing all I can to go out to other stores,
and report competitor violations to the studios.
I am certain this is exactly what is being
done.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
How about the studios stop shipping the damn product out a month or two in advance if they are so concerned with street date violations?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As the "Weekly Roundup" guy, I will point this out for those who are thinking about buying this title early:
As pointed out, many of the violators are shops who are smaller stores, not the big chains with massive co-op dollars at risk.
Those breakers who ARE the big chains, don't have their sale prices in effect yet.
Next Tuesday, a major national chain will definately be selling this title for $15.99; by Forum rules I cannot say who by any means (I'm not even sure I can say as much as I am!). I am told that one of their competitors will have it for possibly as low as $11.99. I will name names on Sunday, of course, in the usual place.
You guys spending $25-$30 to get it a week early: is it really worth it?
I was already answered that question with a, "Yeah, but we can get the difference back on the sale price, plus maybe 10% more." Well, okay...that's just at the national chains with price-matching policies, who are the LEAST likely to be breaking street dates. Most of the places breaking dates won't accomodate this plan.
And...is it really worth the hassle? $10ish bucks...you can grab an MGM Midnight Movie for that much! :rolleyes

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
Um, David,
where exactly is "the usual place" which you will post this info on sunday.
i need lotr as cheaply as i can get it, since i'll just be getting this again in nov

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Interesting post Dave. However let me assure you in Canada there is little or no price change upon the release date. If anything the price will go up.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
You guys spending $25-$30 to get it a week early: is it really worth it?
I don't have the ability to make that decision, since I don't have access to any means of getting it early, but I can honestly tell you that right now I would fork over $100 for a copy of this disc in my hands. Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that I'm completely insane and don't really know the value of a dollar.:D

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Since John P quoted from my post and have targeted me as a "Shulzer", let me say this: it is one thing to go searching the city or phoning every video store in town trying to find someone willing to break a street date. I did no such thing. I placed my pre-order, totally content and happy to wait with everyone else until 8/6 to receive my copy. To my surprise, my retailer shipped my package early and it arrived unexpectedly.

What I find ridiculous is people who then point at me as an example of the "problem" of rule-breakers and that I am being unfair because I have my copy before them. What a joke! I did not search for or ask to get my copy early, though I certainly have enjoyed receiving it just as everyone else will enjoy receiving theirs. Rules or not, why does it seem that when someone has a little surprise to brighten their otherwise normal day, that someone else finds offense in it and tries to dampen them?

Also, remember who you are defending with their "rules". The studios say that street date rules are meant to level the playing field with all vendors, then they go and give huge quantity discounts to the major retailers over smaller hometown shops. This is fair? If you want a fair set of rules, demand what Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo do with console titles and price them with a profit margin so thin that the best you can do is beat your competition down the street by 25 cents. Until that happens, I won't be crying for the studios when I hear of a broken street date by some unknown store that will be lucky to sell 20 copies of a title before their nearest mass-merchandizer has it as the loss-leader title for the weekend shoppers and beats their price by 25%.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Again, no offense...

Mr. Harvey's quote:

Rules or not, why does it seem that when someone has a little surprise to brighten their otherwise normal day, that someone else finds offense in it and tries to dampen them?
Its very cynical to accept this thesis, as it justifies inequity because someone gets to "brighten their otherwise normal day" at someone elses expense be they known or unknown. This is similar to the rationalizion of victimless crimes, which people today seem more and more willing to take part in. One need only look at our political and cultral icons to see this in effect.

To me its a moral and/or ethical issue. As I said before, I've received product early too, but I do not see it as a right or priviledge.

I simply wish that fair rules were followed and enforced by everyone at all levels of society in all arenas. Human nature makes that hard, and rationalization erases the guilt many a sin major or minor; but just like John Lennon I can imagine can't I?

JMO

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The usual place is my Weekly Roundup. Click on the icon in my signature, and you will be taken to the HTF Coupons & Bargains section, where I post these things on Sundays. :D
Right now the newest one you'll see is the 7/30 Roundup, of course.
Also, as discussed in that thread, it makes more sense for the early purchase if there's no BB or CC or Costco or Sam's or Fry's or CompUSA anywhere near you. So if Joe's Video store in your small town sells it early at the same price they'd sell it for on street date...by all means get it now! ;)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
WOW! I never realized that people were calling to get it early. I'm as impatient as the next guy, but if I walk into a retailer and find something early I look at it as an unexpected plus.
I never expect or demand someone to break street date. But if it's Blockbuster I'd bust 'em in a minute. :D

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
"As I said before, I've received product early too, but I do not see it as a right or priviledge."
Hmm, meethinks we are going in circles here, because that is my belief is well; it is not a right or priviledge, and I don't expect or ask for it. I guess the only question is this: when you received your early product, did you send it back? If you did, I applaud you.
""Shulzer" BTW is a clever variation of my designation though, and I approve heartily in turning it into an objective noun. "
Ah, now HERE is something we can totally agree on! I'll give you full credit for leading me to this derivative. I'll have to see if I can work it into my daily dialogue at work today :)
Rich

Gruson

Second Unit
It is worth it to me to get it early.
I have had the LOTR DVD for 2 weeks now :)
I even payed $120 for the Episode 1 laserdisc...worth the money for me. Best sounding LD/DVD there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks