What's new

To RP91 or not?...that is the question (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter
I finally got spouse approval for a progressive scan DVD player to go with my Mits 55908(I'm using an interlaced Technics DVD-A10 right now).
If I'm going to buy now, then I would get a Panasonic RP91, but I wonder if I should wait until after Christmas and see if they come out with a newer model to replace it.
Does anyone know of anything coming out in the next few months that I should wait for?
Thoughts?
Thanks
DJ

David Judah

Screenwriter
OK, OK...you talked me into it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. :)
Like I need any second opinions to upgrade.
Who am I kidding? If they come out with a new and improved version in February or March with a Guy Kuo/Joe Kane signature edition with a Faroudja/Sage/Silicon Graphics chipset, support for DVD-A & SACD(with bass management), and a 16 bit/72 MHz video DAC, I'm sure I'll buy that one too. :)
DJ

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Has anybody tried a DVD-Ram disc with the new RP-91?
Does it take the disc in the plastic casing or is it necessary to remove it.
Thanks,
------------------
Trevor..
Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
You need to remove the DVD-RAM from the plastic case, but it does work.
My only demo was the Monster's Inc. Trailer on DVD via iDVD. I never got mp3s to work, but I didn't notice the mp3 button on the faceplate until I sent my RP91 off for Service.
The only good thing is that I don't have time to watch movies this week anyways. Back to studying... and note that most store-bought chicken comes fresh with Campylobacter for free. :)

Robert George

Screenwriter
Good choice, David. Not perfect, mind you, but it doesn't miss by much. Extreme tweakability. You will see the occasional comb, usually on supplemetal material which is apparently not authored as carefully as most movies. During movies, almost never, and when it does comb in a movie, it is 1 or 2 frames at the most.
I highly recommend a thorough perusal of the manual during set-up. It will help with this player. Also, if you have any specific questions, there are obviously many members here with months of experience.
A couple of quick pointers. Setting the deinterlacer at "Auto 2" (U4) seems to keep combing to a bare minimum. I set the mosquito NR to +1. Setting the gamma to +1 helps darker transfers, but I don't use it for most. Any disc with objectional over-enhancement (ringing) is helped with a setting of -1 on the "edge" adjustment. Anything lower than -1 will soften the image too much (for me) and lose some detail. That's all I can think of right now....

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The RP-91 came out this spring, so I doubt that Panasonic will be replacing it with a newer model this year. I think the RP-91 is an excellent player, especially if you own a 16x9 TV. I use the Auto2 setting Robert mentioned, and rarely see any combing. The built-in scaler is a great feature for non-anamorphic widescreen material, as well as viewing supplemental material (since these features tend to switch between anamorphic, full frame and non-anamorphic letterbox quite a bit).
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

David Judah

Screenwriter
Thanks for the pointers, guys. I'm looking foward to having progressive capability and the scaling feature will be a nice bonus too.
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks