What's new

To Quote Moe: "Oh, Dear God No!" The Next Superman to be... (2 Viewers)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
No, those guys all give off the wrong vibe - too many rough edges and not enough sincere, small-town guy. But, that's something Fraser does very well indeed, and he's got the range to be convincing in both halves of what is almost a dual role.
He's very charming and definitely gives off that "everyman" vibe, but, as Holadem put it, he doesn't look right for the part. Go look at any of the interpretations of Superman we've seen over the years: Shuster and Siegel, Curt Swan, John Byrne, Alex Ross... Superman is a charming everyman, but he does not LOOK like one.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And, Welling's not that great an actor. He's good enough for the job at hand and looks the part for Smallville, but I don't think he's got the talent or the charisma to be a feature lead.
You keep saying that. I don't really see where it's coming from... I've been nothing but happy with the effort he has put forth thus far.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
You keep saying that. I don't really see where it's coming from... I've been nothing but happy with the effort he has put forth thus far.
I think I can see where he's coming from. I think Welling does okay for television, but I have to admit that the prospect of watching him do stuff for about 2 hours in a row doesn't inspire me much. That's not really anything harsh against the guy. I just think that acting on the big screen takes a different kind of presence than the small screen, and Welling gives off that "tv actor" vibe IMO.

James T

Screenwriter
Keep the Reeve(s) tradition alive and cast Keanu. I remember he was rumoured a long while ago. j/k.

I like some of Fraser's work, with School Ties being my fav, I just don't see him as a Superman. It's just whenever I see him I keep thinking of Encino Man, instead of Superman.

Maybe it's just because 24 is my favourite show, but I think Sarah Clarke (Nina Myers) will make a decent Lois Lane.

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
i dont know about anyone else,But I would hate to see ANYONE from a 6th rate tv show like Smallville in a major movie about Superman,,I could care less for the show,I know its got its fans,but I think its horrible. I would rather them completly distance themselves from the show. Becides isnt he a pretty young guy,,I want at least a 30something actor,mid 30s or so. If they did it with the wrong guy,it would hurt it quite a bit.Im saying JIM CAVIEZEL,,have em put on some weight,but he could totally work in the part.and hes a good actor. At any rate,NO SMALLVILLE GUYS.

James T

Screenwriter
The problem with someone in their mid 30s is that Warners wants a 3 picture deal over 10 years. Pierce Brosnan seems alright for Bond, but he looks a lot different from when we first saw him in Goldeneye.

And Tom Welling is 25. By the time Smallville ends, he'll reach that near 30 age you're looking for.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
TV Networks sign their stars to contracts so that they can do long-range planning in terms of personnel. I'd bet the "buy-out" clause for the contracts would be a heavy penalty for most TV actors. But if filming schedules can be accomodated, sometimes things work out, otherwise, it's on to finding the next best candidate for the film.
IIRC, David Boreanaz isn't under contract beyond tis season. He has stated a desire to stay with ME as long as possible, though. He may have auditioned thing Angel likely wouldn't last beyond this season, then dropped out because the chances improved.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If they ever make a movie based on the "Kingdom Come" mini-series, Campbell would be the ideal choice, provided the aged him a little with makeup.

Come on, I can't be the only one who dreams of a KC movie :D

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I've got a little website where I posted my casting call for a new Superman film, That is to say, who I would cast. Feel free to take a look and let me know what you think.

http://geocities.com/Pagz57/superman.html

My Spidey casting call page made it into entertainment weekly, and my pic for Spidey (Tobey Maguire) was made before they even had a director for the film, so ym track record isn't too bad ;)

James T

Screenwriter
Geoffrey,

I think you have some nice picks. I always thought of Paul Gross as a Batman, but I can see him as a Superman.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Can't really argue with most of Geoffrey's choices. Paul Gross has been my top choice for some time, although I've been told that he looked somewhat past his prime in Men With Brooms. And, of course, he's ~44 now, so by the time they get to the third movie...

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
Even if Bruce Campbell was 15 years younger,I dont think they would go after him,I dont think he has enough star power to work it,not that star power is all thats needed,but (cough,cough) I think Studios consider him a B movie actor. Even though hes been in mainstreem movies,what hes known for are for his Rami films.hmm he certaintly has the superman look,but I think that wouldnt be enough,and if there planning on a few films over a few years,I think he would be screwed. Now I think an even worse choice would be Nick Cage,I just never seen him as a superman type,,I couldnt belive they were getting him for it,I guess it fell threw,so thats a plus.
MY VOTE STILL STANDS as
JIM CAVIEZEL

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
HEHE Rami got SpiderMan not because he was a b movie director,he actually was able to make a few good films before that,A Simple Plan,ect. Also he was familiar with the SpiderMan comics,so that helped him along. Being behind the camera and being in front are two seperate lives. Rami is known Not just for his B movies,hes put in a pretty solid roster of films over the past few years. But as far as Campbell,hes pretty much only known for his B movies. and those are known by a select group of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks