What's new

To Quote Moe: "Oh, Dear God No!" The Next Superman to be... (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Klein's that good an actor to pull off the role. Klein reminds me a lot of Keanu Reeves in his "early" years in terms of looks and mannerisms.

Do y'all think they'll get Josh Harnett to get that gap between his 2 front teeth fixed if he's signed to play Supes?

Who next? Kate Beckinsale plays Lois Lane, and toss in Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne for kicks? Who else can we recycle from Pearl Harbor?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I for one would love to see Bruce Campbell as Superman! I mean come on think about it, you can't get anymore DC Comics-ish than that chin of his! Besides, I still think he was shortchanged for not getting the role of The Phantom. :D

That would be too funny...

Bruce as Ash as Superman (to Lex):
"Hey, baldy, stop being such a jerk and trying to, ya know, destroy the world and everything."

Lex:
"Well Superman, we meet again, and this time you will not.."

Superman:
"Yeah yeah yeah, listen chrome dome, your goin to prison, yeah that's right baby, jail, the slammer, the klink, the bighouse, the joint, so just keep your trap shut and come with me (snapping his fingers rapidy) today, right now, chop chop! I was just about to get some sugar from Lois when I had to fly around the world to stop you and yet another one of your lame-ass plots that never work, and you have no idea how much those times zones play hell on your body clock pal! Plus, my red and blue underoos are startin to ride up and i'm not in a groovy mood."

After dropping Lex off at jail, he flies off muttering to himself...

"Super powers, who needs em? Give me a chainsaw and a double barrell Remington made in Grand Rapids Michigan any day of the week!"

I know, i'm silly. :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Oops. Brendan Fehr is in Roswell; Brendan Fraser is the guy who looks genetically engineered to play Superman (although Jason Behr from Roswell wouldn't be a bad choice, either).

James T

Screenwriter
So with Hartnett and Ashtun Kutcher out, who's left?
Forget hollywood actors, just go with the guy on Smallville.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Sad to say that Mr. Harnett may have unilaterally decided not to proceed merely because he didn't want to make a three-film commitment. Further to point out, if this latter quote is true, it tells you how decisions are being made in Hollywood as to what you get to see on screen (big or small), and the criteria ain't quality of story or acting, it's "movie-factory madness" and the lust for larger theatrical market-share at all costs. That's the real significance of this news, in my book.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Go with the soap opera dude, the precedent has already been set with Christopher Reeve (who was a soap opera actor as well).

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I'd say wait til Smallville finishes up and cast Welling! He is so good! And after that Smallville episode the other night, I truely believe he can pull it off. BTW - was that a cool show or what. When the Superman theme came up I literally jumped out of my seat! :D

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
Laura Flynn do I see a bit of a nip in that pic? She used to be great,but now,,yikes,,shes the poster girl for eating disorders,shes so thin,they could just hang her up instead of the poster,and no one would be the wiser,,Seriously I hope she doesnt have an eating disorder,,but at any rate,,she needs to bulk up,dang,as far as Lois,,hmm thats a toughy,,if she put on weight sure,she might do a good job. God help us if That 70s wheres my car guy gets the role,,Yikes.Unless they were just purposely going to make a joke superman movie,then perhaps,,Id say Jim Caviezel,just bulk up some,,hey everyone thought Tobe was to small for Spiderman,but he bulked up,and it worked. PLUS Jim can actually act,and could really work. :)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Are we quoting me?... because at some point I must have utterred the words "Oh, Dear God NO!" at the various potential casting choices for Superman (Nick Cage, Josh Hartnett, etc.).

I'm going to say it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over........... cast Tom Welling in the films. Why look for someone new when you've already got an establish (and accepted) actor who's LITERALLY growing into the part?!?

Wait for Smallville to wrap in it's last season. Have the final episode feature Clark packing up and moving to Metropolis. The final scene would show him walking into the Daily Planet. At this point we don't meet any of the other charaters (Perry, Lois, Jimmy, etc.), we just see Clark approaching the front desk of the planet and inquiring about the reporter job. As he turns around, we notice that he's wearing his trademark glasses. He walks towards the camera, and the screen fades to black with the words "...the adventure continues...".

Warner, don't screw this up!!!

Moe.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Why look for someone new when you've already got an establish (and accepted) actor who's LITERALLY growing into the part?!?
Because Welling really isn't that good. Every time he's had to show some range on Smallville, he's looked pretty bad.

Besides, Warner is supposedly talking about having a movie ready for Summer '04 - they've already spent $Lord-Knows-How-Much on it and want some return on investment soon.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Moe Maishlish

Are we quoting me?... >>>>

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up :).

Moe from the Simpsons. 'Barts comet' episode to be exact.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Y'know, I'm reminded of some lines that Lauren Graham said when she was guest starring in that three-part Law&Order where they go to Hollywood. (And in an odd coincidence, it co-guest-stars Scott Cohen as the victim's husband; he currently plays Lauren's ex-fiance Max on The Gilmore Girls, also on The WB. [I may watch too much television.])

You come to Hollywood wanting to make great movies. After a while, you're satisfied if you can make a good movie. But eventually, all that matters is to make anything at all.

Superman has a better-than-Daredevil, maybe better-than-Spiderman recognition level. So a new Superman movie will do extremely well opening weekend (and beat the originals, especially with today's ticket prices), unless the word gets out that it is absolutely worthless crap. All it needs to be is middling, hackneyed, focus-grouped crap, or better. But frankly, the studio's standards seem pretty low. The performance will be good enough to green-light the sequel, even if the movie actually sucked, just like with Lara Croft: Tomb Raider.

Jason Behr certainly has the physique to pull off the role, and he's a decent actor. But he's got those ears :) Would Brendan Fehr color his hair? (And what's up with the Behr/Fehr similarity?)

Re: Batman. The thing that really pissed me off is what happened to the BatWing. They make a big deal about it and have it fly around and do fancy stuff, and then Joker pulls out a revolver with a really long barrel and shoots it down in one shot. WTF?
Was that supposed to be funny? It's just stupid, and showed they didn't respect the material.

//Ken

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Agreed on the Batwing. Each time I see it, I say, 'Gads, why show what it can do if it dosn't last long?' What a week invention..

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I'm only aware of two complaints: Jack Nicholson and Prince music. Anybody else care to elaborate?
There was the whole idiotic "I created you!", "No, you created me" bit. Beyond the smug "I'm such a cool (director | writer) to think of this" attitude that it projected, it was just plain wrong.

In the comics, Batman's parents die at the hands of a mugger named Joe Chill. Not at the hands of the guy the Joker used to be before he took his chemical bath. That is a constant in every retelling of the Batman origin story, and changing it here did nothing to enhance the story, or to tell a different-but-worth-telling one.

Then there's the way in which the live action Batman films dispose permanently of one or more of the best villains with every movie. So much for sequels. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How did the thread drift into griping about the Batman films? Let's keep it on casting Superman and the cast for the film (if it ever happens).

Tom Welling doesn't have the gravitas nor the acting chops to play Superman as someone in his late 20's. He's fine as a teenage Clark Kent, but that's as far as I'd want to go with a big budget Superman film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks