What's new

To anyone who recently dined at the Panda Garden in Edmonton... (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
What is it about Chinese restaurants and health violations?

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Isn't dog commonly eaten in china? Perhaps it was for the employees.

Can we also please cut the anti-Chinese xenophobia before it starts?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Isn't dog commonly eaten in china? Perhaps it was for the employees.
Is that a chance you're willing to take? I'm not. But then I don't like Asian food in general so I avoid those places. Still, I hope these people will be shut down and owners and management punished severely. There's a chance some of that was fed to customers, and that can't be allowed, regardless of whether it's ok in China or not.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Define Asian food...you have to realize that three quarters of the world's population can be considered "Asian" in the geographic sense. Asia, geographically, is a mind-bogglingly huge region of the planet. The variety of food and its preparation in Asia is quite staggering.

Asia != (not equals) China, which is only a small portion of Asia.

To avoid Asian foods you'd have to avoid rice, milk, chicken, tea, beef, apples, pasta, bread, and the list goes on and on.

I personally don't know anyone who has eaten dog. It's rare in most of China, as far as I know. Although you will see the occasional picture on the news or in a magazine now and then. Heck, I even saw a movie made in Shanghai, by a Chinese director, about a family that go through a lot of trouble to rescue their unlicensed dog from a dog pound. No mention of dog eating anywhere.

As for the incident in question...definitely a bad thing. They broke the law. Pure and simple. If the law forbade chicken, then it'd still be just as bad.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well Max, while I will eat ingredients common to some types of Asian food, such as rice, I will not eat meals prepared in the style of Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Pakastani, or Persian food, and so on. Then again, I did say "Asian food in general", there's nothing I really have to define about that, any reasonable person would understand what I meant. If you ask me to join you for a meal that has it's origins in an Asian country, I will likely say no. The only exception is I love Japanese Steak Houses, but then I focus on the steak, and don't eat much of the other stuff.

By the way, China has about 1.2 billion people, the world has around 6 billion people, so China makes up about 1/6th of the world's population, which is signficant in itself, but it's even more significant when compared to Asia alone, so China makes up more than a small part of Asia.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I assumed when you said "Asian food" you meant Chinese food, so corrected you accordingly. People tend to equate Asian food with Chinese food. Thankfully you're not one of them. :)

Strangely enough, I find some Hungarian and German dishes to be similiar to Thai and Vietnamese dishes. Maybe you should give Thai and Vietnamese food another try? Or avoid Hungarian and German food instead. :D Of course, Thailand and Vietnam have been heavily influenced by the French and the British, for obvious reasons...

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
All I can say is I'm VERY thankful I have never ate there.

Bejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Well, let me see if I remember my geography.

Asia means the continent, and it has 44 countries as of now and most of Russia (east of Ural mountains or 60oE)

Here is a list of countries : Afghanistan, Armenia , Azerbaijan , Bahrain , Bangladesh , Bhutan , ,Brunei , Burma (Myanmar) , Cambodia , China , Cyprus , East Timor , India , Indonesia , Iran , Iraq, Israel , Japan , Jordan , Kazakhstan , Kuwait , Kyrgyzstan , Laos , Lebanon , Malaysia , Maldives ,Mongolia , Nepal , North Korea , Oman , Pakistan , Philippines , Russian Fed. , Qatar , Saudi Arabia ,Singapore , Syria , South Korea , Sri Lanka , Taiwan , Tajikistan , Thailand , Turkey , Turkmenistan ,U.A.E. , Uzbekistan , Vietnam , Yemen

Now population wise
China 1,286,975,468 (July 2003 est.)
India 1,049,700,118 (July 2003 est.)
Estimated total population of Asia 3.7 Billion.

So you see there is no Asian cuisine. What people eat in Israel is not what they eat in Laos. Can you call Chinese cuisine as Asian cuisine?

;)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
The term Asian cuisine could imply all food that originates in Asia, so Chinese cuisine being a food that originates in China, part of Asia, is in fact Asian cuisine. Now considering 33% of Asia is Chinese, and only India comes close to that, it's not a gross error to consider Asian food and Chinese food to be the same. No other single group aside from India would come close to that.

Also, I've had some Israeli food and other Middle Eastern food, as well as Mongolian, and I didn't like it. Russian is about the only thing on that list that I haven't tried, or at least had something close to. So when I say I don't like Asian food, I mean it.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
oh edwin, that's horrible.

I saw this on the news last night, made me think of all the urban-legends regarding chinese food restaurants...sad that at least one of them is true.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting... there's a Mexican restaraunt not too far from my house that got busted for the same thing a few years ago (except they were dogs in the freezer.. not coyotes).

What I don't understand is... the place is STILL OPEN! I drive by it all the time and wonder how anyone can still go there.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Max, people in China most certainly do eat dog. Its actually on the menu of quite a few restaurants. The high end hotel I was staying at in Guangzhou had it on there menu in its own little section. You know how the menues show beef, seafood, chicken, etc. Well, one section was for varied ways to prepare dog.

Needless to say, we didn't order any but did order a heck of a good Peking duck. Mmmm..

BTW, the thought of eating Chinese food in Edmonton freaks me out enough. :)

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks