What's new

To All Studios: Stop Window-Boxing Credits! (1 Viewer)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
god-dammit... wtf is wrong with you? why do you keep window-boxing opening and/or end credits? i thought we are done with this overscan bs on blu-ray?! the latest offender on blu-ray is marathon man by paramount pictures. i hated it on thunderball, i hated it on le mans and sure hate on this one.

stop doing it!!!

*rant over*

ps: include the original theatrical mix and studios logos on your movies.

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator
Amen, brother!

I hate that too.

Paramount's Grease is an offender too. It irritates me every time I watch it.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
It's not just Blu-rays. I've seen 2K DCPs of It Happened One Night and Roman Holiday with windowboxed credits.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This is a holdover from the days of standard definition TV. I don't know why studios still insist on doing it; don't most HDTVs have overscan functions anyway, which would make this unnecessary?

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i just found another offender.

friday the 13th part 3 - uk br (2d only) and the u.s. br (2d + 3d) make heavy use of window boxing the opening credits.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
MatthewA said:
This is a holdover from the days of standard definition TV.
You would think, but a number of recent offenders didn't windowbox credits on older DVD masters - the Bond films and Star Trek III, for example.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The problem lies in the lack of any update for the title safe guidelines. They are calibrated for much older TV standards that had far more overscan.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Worth said:
You would think, but a number of recent offenders didn't windowbox credits on older DVD masters - the Bond films and Star Trek III, for example.
Well, the windowboxing on Thunderball goes back a looooong time, but you're right about later Bond films like TWINE. Temple of Doom's end credits have been affected as well, and that one was Paramount, as was Trek III, Grease, Marathon Man etc. The folks on the mountain sure do love their outdated home video methods.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
In all fairness, a lot of consumers aren't familiar with the settings of their displays. Only last week, I had to help my neighbour switch off the Trumotion "feature" on his plasma as it was causing all kinds of weird motion artifacts. I've seen loads of flat screens displaying a stretched 4:3 picture, and I know from my own LCD that it has to be set to "Just Scan" to display output without overscan.The industry is simply catering for the lowest common denominator, sadly.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
In almost every case I've seen of windowboxed credits, the credits themselves are nowhere near the edges of the frame and in no possible way would be cut off on even the most maladjusted sets. Theatrical framing can be even more variable than tv screens and any filmmaker with experience composes carefully to account for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks