What's new

Tivo command sounds are gone! (1 Viewer)

Chris Kane

Grip
Okay, I know this is nit-picky but I'd sure like to know why my DirecTivo (Philips DSR6000) is no longer making the familiar command sounds it used to (You know, the cartoon-like sounds when you navigate through menus or the "BONG" sound when you try to forward when there is no more green bar ahead?).

My Tivo used to be connected directly to my projector. I lost the sound when I changed two things. I hooked-up my new B&K Ref 50 and switched audio from analog to optical.

I hope someone has an answer so I don't have to go through a process of elimination.

Thanks,

Chris

Never mind. I knew I should have searched the Tivo Community forum before posting this! If anyone cares - series1 units can't encode these sounds on Dolby.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Just do this: Keep your hookup as is via an optical conneciton, but also hook up the composite (red and white) audio jacks to your TV's input that you use for TiVo.

Turn your TV's sound to something fairly soft to like 6 or 7, and then you'll hear the TiVo command sounds via your TV set.

You won't be able to hear the sounds via your receiver when hooked up via an optical connection using DD, but the TiVo does send the command sounds out via composite at the same time.

It'll work, thats what i do with my Sony T60 DTivo.

Chris Kane

Grip
MikeM,

Thx for the good advice! When I have my cables run under the house I'll make sure that composite is included.

Christian,

IT IS because you have a series II. They just can't encode to the dolby bit stream.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks