1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tivio....?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by sx4dude2013, Jan 8, 2013.

1. sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013 Stunt Coordinator

So Im looking into options of adding a DVR setup to my ever expanding HT setup. Ive heard of Tivio but dont know too much about it. I currently have OLD SCHOOL basic cable. The one that comes directly from the wall and includes around 60 channels. This cable is fine for me and I enjoy it. I live in a college complex (not an apartment, but a neighborhood). Our rent includes cable and internet. I dont want to upgrade our cable and it effect everyone's bill. I know Tivio is $15 a month plus the device. 1) It says I need a cable card from my service provider. What exactly is this and do you think my provider will bill me for this? (Northland Cable) 2) Can I just plug my standard cable from the wall into the box, then HDMI output into my receiver? I got a new shift at work and miss some of the shows i like. Plus I want the ability to get my cable via HDMI :) Thoughts!! Thanks! :)

2. sx4dude2013

NVM! I called my cable company and it would end up costing me an extra $50 a month!

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

How much does your cable co. want for their own dvr?

4. sx4dude2013

They lease the box for $13.99 a month. Then they lease the card for $3.99 a month. I need Tivo service which is $14.99 a month. THEN the cable comapny said I need to upgrade my internet to a higher package for an extra $27.99 a month...HELL no! haha There own cable box DVR doesnt exist :( They only use Tivo :(

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Directv...

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. A cable card is just a cable box on a simple card. They standardized the technology so that 3rd party companies could provide cable boxes (or DVRs) without running into proprietary scrambling issues. 2. I normally don't send people to other forums but TiVo Community is a great resource. I'm still a member there but don't stop by much since my last TiVo died and now I only have DirecTV DVRs.
    If you already get HD via coaxial cable into your TV, it will look exactly the same using a TiVo, cable box or any other decoder and HDMI. But time shifting is great. I've been telling everyone about the benefits of a DVR since 1999. I even record sports. I finished the Arkansas vs. Texas A&M basketball game this morning while I ran on the treadmill. Fast forwarding though all of the commercials and halftime saved me about 40 minutes of time.

7. sx4dude2013

I would but my current rent includes cable.....

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The only thing you should have to get from your cable company is the cable card for $3.99 a month...you don't need a cable box in addition, the cable card handles all the channels you receive. So there's that, plus the $14.99 a month for the TiVo subscription. Internet speed has nothing to do with cable cards, you don't need to change your internet package to get a cable card. I used to have TiVo, and it is the best DVR around, but after my last TiVo box died I just went with the FiOS DVR.

9. sx4dude2013

The cable company wont let me get the card without an upgrade :(