What's new

Titles in dire need of a new transfer....... (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Peter S. mentioned that a Predator: SE would be here in time for Alien vs. Predator (August). However, I wonder if this next release of Predator will feature a new tranfer, or just the existing transfer with extras.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Most of the numero uno candidates have been listed, so I'll try and list some gems that either have an all-out shit transfer or are simply lacking anamorphic encoding.

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers - Both the legendary original and the hugely underappreciated 1978 version by Phil Kaufman, which has a decent transfer, but is not anamorphic.

Chushingura - Brilliant samurai film from 1966. Dodgy non-anamorphic transfer with subtitles on the lower letterboxing bar, so that when you zoom in on a 16x9 TV, the subtitles get chopped off. Gah!

High Noon - An over-processed 'restoration' that is THX-certified, whatever that means these days.

The Seven Percent Solution is indeed a great little film, Dennis, and Universal should revisit it.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
A couple of people have listed Top Gun. Fortunately for them (and me, 'cause I want that bad boy too) a Special Edition is in the works, with a new anamorphic transfer, commentaries, and more. Hooray!

My own list of I'd-love-to-see-this-remastered includes:

Heat (which I know is getting the SE treatment shortly; yay!)
The NeverEnding Story (at least it's anamorphic, but it could benefit from some digital cleanup)
Never Cry Wolf (non-anamorphic)
Grosse Pointe Blank (non-anamorphic)
Blade Runner (definitely needs digital cleanup and a decent SE)

There are more but I can't think of them at the moment because I'm not at home and can't look at my collection.

cheers,
Phil

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe I forgot this in my original list:

Rounders

You'd think they'd jump all over it right now with the TV poker craze.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Andrei Rublev - It would be so great if Criterion created a new hi-def anamorphic transfer.

And Universal really ought to remaster The Thing. I tried to watch it last night and couldn't. It's a low bitrate (4.5 mbps) non-anamorphic transfer. It could use a little debris clean-up, high bitrate (7-9 mbps) anamorphic encoding and to entice fans even more, a DTS track. Oh, and ALL the deleted scenes should be included in anamorphic 2.35:1. Keep all the extras from the current edition, but put them on a second disc. If the documentary was divided into seperate featurettes, then royalties wouldn't have to be paid (am I right in assuming this?). But basically, I NEED a new anamorphic transfer of this film, so losing any extras wouldn't bother me. I could always house the old and new discs in a double keep case.

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
The Relic

I started a thread last week regarding the picture quality on the current disc and it was pretty unanimous that this movie could use a new transfer as the disc is very soft looking.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'd want: (this is quite a list I compiled from other people's posts.)

BATMAN (1989)
BATMAN RETURNS
big
Backdraft
The Abyss (Special Edition)
Vertigo
Bram Stoker's DRACULA
Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN
DRACULA (1931)
TREMORS
The Game
OUTLAND
Grosse Point Blank
All of Me (WS)
BLADE RUNNER (trapped in legal bullmongo...:angry:)
Arachnophobia
Event Horizon
The Karate Kid
Excalibur
First Knight
Forbidden Planet
John Carpenter's THE THING
Office Space
The Shadow (WS)
GOODFELLAS
Mission: Impossible
BEN HUR
The Jerk (WS)
The Rocketeer
PSYCHO (Alfred Hitchcock)

That's a big list for me. Rock on, G freshes!
:emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would LOVE to see Batman, The Thing, Dracula, Blade Runner, Goodfellas and Heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks