1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

TITANIC: Jim Cameron's film in 3-D coming...eventually.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Nicholas Martin, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Screenwriter

From the TIME article linked in the AVATAR thread:

3-D: The Future of Movies - TIME

So...does the prospect of a 3-D version of TITANIC renew interest in this film to you?

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I wonder if this will translate to 3-D 'better' than movies actually made for 3-D. The movies that I've seen shot in 3-D understandably want to show off their 3-D effects a little and while that's fun, it also sticks out like a sore thumb. In other words, I wonder if something like Titanic converted to 3-D will work better than movies shot in 3-D because it was initially shot without any 3-D flourishes.

3. Nicholas Martin

The only made-in-3-D movie I've seen, on television no-less, was one of those gawdawful "Friday The 13th" movies.

Every time some one picked up an object, I half-expected them to wink at the camera. It was so ridiculous on TV, I can't imagine what it would have looked like with the glasses on. [​IMG]

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I'd love to see Titanic again on the big screen. In 3D would be a nice bonus. Very nice.

5. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Screenwriter

I would love to see TITANIC in 3-D. Or any excellent theatrical presentation of the film.

6. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Saw Coraline in 3D twice and loved it, but I did get a little eye strain while doing so.
    194 minutes of Titanic 3D would be too much for me, but I would like to catch Rose's modeling session.

7. Chad R

Chad R Screenwriter

Chad Rouch
    I'd be happy with a 2D IMAX version. But 3D would get me into a theater again.

8. Mr. Film

Mr. Film Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't watch a 3D movie for 3 hours. It would kill my eyes.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ For what it's worth, the new Real-D 3-D process is much easier on the eyes than the old red and blue glasses that you may be thinking of. I saw the My Bloody Valentine remake (using the Real-D) and I didn't have any problem. Around the same time, I watched the new Friday The 13th Part III in 3-D DVD (using the red and blue glasses) and after about twenty minutes, I thought my head was about to explode. That being said, even with the Real-D, 3 hours might be a whole different story.

10. Nicholas Martin

They preserved the 3-D effect on the DVD of that movie?

Interesting. Wouldn't convince me to sit through it again but it's interesting.

11. Mr. Film

Actually the real 3D ones are what I was thinking of. I recentley saw Coraline (great movie) in real 3D and even then it still bothered my eyes. I don't think that 3D has that big of an effect in cinema anyway. It really doesn't help make a good story at all. People will go see a movie in 3D just because it's in 3D, not because they think it's a good movie.

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

+1...and as I mentioned in post #6.

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm surprised that I had a stronger tolerance for the Real-D than others. Like I said in my other posts, the red and blue glasses hurt my head pretty quickly so I figured that I'd be pretty susceptible to headaches with the Real-D as well but that wasn't the case.

Yeah, on the latest re-release (which was released to coincide with the remake), they finally released a 3-D version of it. If you're not a F13 fan, don't bother checking it out. [​IMG]

14. Nicholas Martin

Back in 2001 or so, when I still had 'premium' channels, I saw a marathon of parts 1 through...hell I don't even know how many there are, but I think the last one had a yacht or something.

Those movies are good for a laugh, but no I can't say I'm a fan. [​IMG]

I remember one of the movies had a scene outside, and this girl was on the grass with these huge fully exposed....well. That one wasn't ALL bad. [​IMG]

Do these 3-D presentations look anything like those old Viewmaster toys? Those were pretty cool. That's what comes to mind when describing these things without the red/blue glasses.

15. SD_Brian

SD_Brian Supporting Actor

I wonder if they would actually render all of Titanic in 3-D or just select scenes like they did with the IMAX versions of Superman Returns and the last Harry Potter movie? If they do this, I hope they'll render the entire movie in 3-D. 3-D is a distracting gimmick as it is but, when you actually have to put the glasses on your face in the middle of a dramatic scene, it really pulls you out of the story; the exact opposite of what the 3-D is supposed to do.

Also, FWIW, the new Real-D glasses don't bother me. The red/blue glasses leave me seeing red out of one eye and blue out of the other for about 1/2 hour after the movie is over.

16. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

No, but I despise the movie. That said, even the original Star Wars trilogy in 3D probably won't get me into the theaters. I'm interested to see where 3D is now, but I rarely go to the movies.

17. Mr. Film

What!!!!! Titanic was a great film.

18. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I'm just answering the question. Let's not go there.

19. Mr. Film

Fine! I don't really care anyway.[​IMG]

20. DaveB

DaveB Stunt Coordinator

Nope, still no interest. [​IMG]