What's new

TITANIC DVD Cover art- request a change here! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Those in the dvd announcement thread know my position on this, but I will happily add to this.

Paramount, please, PLEASE, reconsider that revised artwork! :frowning:

Can't you see how Cameron's picture completely destroys the graceful beauty of it!? That pic should be on the back of the case, not the front, it throws off the composition and is intrusive in the extreme. Further more, there is another thing about that new cover that stands out too much in my opinion, having Cameron on it undermines the film's emotional impact and realism.

With that pic on the cover, it now becomes "the big budget Hollywood film directed by James Cameron that is known the world over and won 11 Oscars" because it introduces the technical side of making it. Without that pic, the film returns to it's original state, "the story of two young people who meet and fall in love on the ill fated TITANIC".

As far as the general public is concerned, they don't care, and most likely don't even KNOW, who made the film so showing a pic of him isn't necessary, the only people who would know and care about such things are people like us here, and we don't want it. Although as others have stated elsewhere, his signature can stay, it looks very elegant there.

I just feel that the cover's emotional context is corrupted with that pic there, and the real life filmmaking world is jarringly introduced to destroy the illusion. In short, it's the dvd cover art equivelant of a boom mike or dolly track showing up in a film, it's an eyesore.

If you will, imagine the dvd covers of pretty much ANY film featuring a picture of the director on it. Curious, isn't it?

Please, Paramount, be smart, remove Mr. Cameron, he may have been the one that brought us this great film, but he doesn't represent it in the minds of countless millions around the world. All they know and care about are Jack, Rose and TITANIC.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
John's comments perfectly and more articulately sum up my own thoughts as well. :)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Paramount marketing folks - if Cameron MUST have his photo on the cover, why not put it on a shrinkwrap sticker or on a cardboard "O-ring" slipcover instead?

You can even tout the Cameron-less cover as "collectible packaging" if you wish, and I promise not to tell anyone. ;)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

Mine too. Well said, John.

Please Paramount, change the cover art back to what it originally was.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I'm starting not to care anymore. Maybe all dvd boxsets should have the director's mug on the cover, expecially the bad movies.

The perfect packaging for this movie would be artwork of the hull with bumpy rivets with the title. Everything else is in the movie.

Gary Rhine

Stunt Coordinator
Is this really something to get worked up over? Mine will not even be seen on the shelf between others. I do not think I have ever said to a house guest - forget the HT demo check out the cover on this DVD box.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
True. As ugly as the new art is, I will still be ordering this set. I buy DVDs for the movies not the cover art.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I suppose that Paramount reasons that this will increase DVD sales among young girls who think that James Cameron is cute.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Me too, however it's a mistake to let us see a beautiful cover like it was, and then screw it up like this, it's sort of cruel, really. I'll be getting this regardless, but I won't let that aweful cover get by without at least trying to stop it.

Besides, this wasn't going to be stored with the rest of my collection, I WAS going to put it on it's own shelf adorned by Ghosts of the Abyss and my TITANIC model, so it will be visible to me on a daily bases and I don't care to look at Cameron, as much as I respect the man.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Brenton, :laugh:

Yes, because Lord knows there are millions of girls all over the world with pictures and posters of James Cameron on their bedroom walls, sort of disturbing if you let the thought linger too long. ;)

As a sidenote, and I mean this in the nicest way possible believe me, the one's who are saying it's no big deal, while correct in the larger picture, aren't helping to try and get it changed. IMHO this thread should only be for those who are interested in getting the cover changed.

Again, just my opinion.

Elias A.

Stunt Coordinator
Memo to Paramount Home Video:

Dear Paramount,

More is not necessarily better. A movie as loved and respected as Titanic deserves a cover that is simple and elegant, not a cover that crowds too many images into too little space. The original version was nearly perfect, with just the principals and the ship. The revised version ruins the symmetry of the design by crowding another picture of the principals near the bottom, with the director appearing incongruously in his T-shirt next to the period dressed actors. As others have said, this image cheapens the cover art and detracts from the illusion of the film. Please, for the love of all that's good and true, reconsider the revisions to the cover art of Titanic and revert to the cleaner version previously announced.

Thank you for your consideration.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
The new cover looks like crap, the person(s) at Paramount who thought this was a good idea should be fired. Why not just put a head shot of Cameron kissing the Oscar and a tiny picture of the Titanic poster. PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK!!

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Oh heck, why not just get rid of the film's title on the cover (while cropping off Kate & Leo, to make Cameron's photo even BIGGER) and replace it with the following:

"THE KING OF THE WORLD IS NOW THE KING OF DVD!"

One does wonder if that would be enough though... ;)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

well and succinctly put.
if it were a making of disc, then by all means a shot of the director would be appropriate.
here it just looks like he is appropriating space for self aggrandizment.
on the back of the box, a large close up of Cameron would also not be out of place, and mybe in lieu of traditional back jacket synopsis, they have a small note from Cameron, which incorporates a synopsis along with his purpose and goals in this release (in addition to the rundown of features, and specs in its own sidebar).

i'm actually not even interested in buying this, but i do have an interest in package design, and i sadly shook my head when i saw how they revised this. it used to look classy as befitting a winner of so many awards and so much acclaim.
now its just an embarassment

in fact, i wonder how many joe 6packs are going to see that disc on the shelf and figure that its just a collection of supplementary, making of material, and not the actual movie itself?

and that tiny 3 disc graphic has to go too.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Damn- that is one ugly cover! I'd personally prefer a cover featuring the original U.S. poster, but the international poster will certainly do. The international version with James Cameron on the cover, however, will certainly not do. A movie of this magnitude deserves a great DVD release (which I'm sure it will be) and a quality package. The new version looks like utter crap.

PatH

Second Unit
I don't mind Cameron on the cover so much except that with the sappy picture of lovers Jack and Rose dominating everything else, there's barely room for the real star: RMS Titanic.

I love this movie, though I haven't bought it, waiting for the Special Edition, but come on, it's not called "Jack and Rose". It's Titanic. No Titanic, no Jack and Rose.

PatH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks