What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Titanic 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
JamesNelson said:
You could have simply pointed out any inaccuracies without resorting to condescending editorials such as "...sloppy writing..." and "...show pride in your work..." I thought your remarks were unnecessarily acerbic.
I agree. BTW, Mike, would you have said the same to Neil, face-to-face?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes he would! :D
Sometimes the anonymity of the internet really does lower the quality of public discourse...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I can't help but point out Mike wasn't just rude to Neil, he was rude to all the reviewers here by suggesting none of us proof our material.

I don't know if I'm interested in explaining what's polite to someone who doesn't have a working knowledge of what that entails.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee /t/323560/titanic-3d-blu-ray-review/60#post_3976435
I can't help but point out Mike wasn't just rude to Neil, he was rude to all the reviewers here by suggesting none of us proof our material.

I don't know if I'm interested in explaining what's polite to someone who doesn't have a working knowledge of what that entails.
Indeed...there's constructive criticism, then there's what was done to Mr. Middlemiss and your other colleagues, Cameron...blatantly insulting outright dismissal of your hard work. I for one, have no use for it...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
lukejosephchung said:
Indeed...there's constructive criticism, then there's what was done to Mr. Middlemiss and your other colleagues, Cameron...blatantly insulting outright dismissal of your hard work. I for one, have no use for it...:rolleyes:
Yes, there are a few posters who do nothing but complain. I would just ignore their posts and maybe they will go away.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
So, there used to be a member on this board that constantly would post
things like "Upconverted 2D is no good" and "Anything upconverted is
not real 3D."
Well, I wonder what that person would be saying after watching this
3D Blu-ray release of TITANIC.
I just finished my viewing, and I am still stunned by what I had seen.
Titanic was never particularly a favorite film of mine, but I couldn't help
but be reawakened to this film through it's 3D beauty.  The level of depth
is outstanding.
This is the finest upconverted 3D film I have ever watched.  In fact, 
it is among the best 3D films I have ever had the pleasure of watching.
'Titanic' has never been a favorite film of mine either. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy it, just the Billy Zane love triangle was a bit much for me. I always felt it would be so much more powerfu if it was just a simple boy meets girl tragic story. It didn't need an enemy, in my opinion the ship was the enemy. But I guess it wouldn't be a James Cameron film without a little action in between.
However after reading Neil's review, and your recommendation I am going to buy a copy of this for future use. Plan on getting a 3-D projector down the line, and this will be the film I test it with.
Thanks guys!

earwin

Auditioning
Real Name
erwin
This is the finest upconverted 3D film I have ever watched, specifically for new aspect ratio.
Here's an overview of the new and prevsiously formats:
new 3D version - 16:9
2.39 version (it seems that we have less picture in 2.39 than 16:9)
classic 4:3 version from TV
and new leaked shot from original panavision camera

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Titanic was shot in Super35 so it does make sense that the 2.39 version will have "less picture" than the others. However Cameron was fully aware of what scope he was shooting for theatrically (there are guide bars on the monitors showing him the 2.39 frame) and he no doubt composited for it, so there should be no feeling of "loss of picture" viewing it at 2.39. I recall reading [back in the day] that most of the effects were finished initially only at 2.39 which is why previous home video pan and scan versions of Titanic actually panned and scanned instead of just revealing the entire original frame because the effects wouldn't be there.
Given the amount of time and money that went into the 3D version, I'm hoping they extended the effects to fill the 1.78 frame so that the entire film is opened up instead of going back to pan and scan during the effects shots.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
Titanic was shot in Super35 so it does make sense that the 2.39 version will have "less picture" than the others. However Cameron was fully aware of what scope he was shooting for theatrically (there are guide bars on the monitors showing him the 2.39 frame) and he no doubt composited for it, so there should be no feeling of "loss of picture" viewing it at 2.39. I recall reading [back in the day] that most of the effects were finished initially only at 2.39 which is why previous home video pan and scan versions of Titanic actually panned and scanned instead of just revealing the entire original frame because the effects wouldn't be there.
Given the amount of time and money that went into the 3D version, I'm hoping they extended the effects to fill the 1.78 frame so that the entire film is opened up instead of going back to pan and scan during the effects shots.
The effects shots were finished at 2:1 and cropped a bit to 1.78:1 for the 3D version. 2-perf footage of the actual wreck would also be cropped.
Vincent

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Vincent_P said:
The effects shots were finished at 2:1 and cropped a bit to 1.78:1 for the 3D version. 2-perf footage of the actual wreck would also be cropped.
Vincent
Caps-a-holic has a 1.78 to 2.35 comparison

earwin

Auditioning
Real Name
erwin
Panavision (Super35) became popular from 90s.
As a matter of fact, photography directors set the camera originally for 2.39 theatrical picture with consistent coordinates on camera.
This images from T2, explaining how the Super35 process works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks