What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Titanic 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I thought that 3D discs could play back in 2D. Avatar offers a choice of both versions. Then again, maybe they are separate encodes.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/323560/titanic-3d-blu-ray-review#post_3971766
I thought that 3D discs could play back in 2D. Avatar offers a choice of both versions. Then again, maybe they are separate encodes.

Depends on how the content provider chooses to encode the disc. Some, mostly titles used as promotions, have been encoded to allow 2D playback. Many of the more recent releases, from what I can tell, pretty much any title that is given separate 2D/3D releases, are restricted encodes.

Sucks about Titanic, but thanks for checking, Neil.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The non-promotional release of Avatar will indeed have separate discs for 3D and 2D. Maybe they will crank up the bit rate on each.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
If you bought a 3D bluray player then you could play the 3D version in 2D on your 2D TV. Not an inconsequential cost but you don't need a whole 3D setup to do it. You probably need a 3rd or 4th or 5th player anyway so buy the new one with 3D capability.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey /t/323560/titanic-3d-blu-ray-review#post_3971798
If you bought a 3D bluray player then you could play the 3D version in 2D on your 2D TV. Not an inconsequential cost but you don't need a whole 3D setup to do it. You probably need a 3rd or 4th or 5th player anyway so buy the new one with 3D capability.

Eh, you sure about that? I have a Oppo BDP-93, which is 3D capable, running through a 3D compatible receiver, but to a non-3D TV and projector.

A definitive answer would be nice here. I'm going to make a purchase decision on this, and the ability to play the 3D disc in 2D is THE deciding factor.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Robert George said:
Eh, you sure about that?  I have a Oppo BDP-93, which is 3D capable, running through a 3D compatible receiver, but to a non-3D TV and projector.
A definitive answer would be nice here.  I'm going to make a purchase decision on this, and the ability to play the 3D disc in 2D is THE deciding factor.
Apparently I was wrong. 2D from a 3D disc is at a minimum disc dependent because I got two different "You can't do that" messages from two different 3D discs. I must have made it work in 2D using my HTPC at one point, which doesn't have this silly limitation in the player. I thought the standard was that a 3D disc in a 3D player hooked up to a 2D display just ran the left eye to it but I guess not. This release is exactly why the standard should have been set to allow 2D from a 3D disc and player. The only other possibility is that your Oppo can override the disc and output 2D anyway but my cheap Panasonic player cannot.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Robert George said:
I thought this had been explained fairly clearly by others.  The answer is simple.  1.78:1 is more impressive on a 16:9 screen than 2.35:1 is.
Theatrical framing and composition be damned? I agree this is not cropping, but the film loses impact to my eyes without the sweep of the width on its own. It looked more ordinary to me opened up, and this is a film I am intimately familiar with.
The 1.78 version of this film is less impressive on any screen, IMHO

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Steve Tannehill said:
The non-promotional release of Avatar will indeed have separate discs for 3D and 2D. Maybe they will crank up the bit rate on each.
Do we know if Avatar 2D on that disc isn't just one eye of the 3D version? Perhaps that Is possible for the player to extract

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I believe I have read on this forum that the 3D blu-ray spec requires it be compatible with 2D. That is usually accomplished by providing a 2D only disc in the package.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Robert George said:
Eh, you sure about that?  I have a Oppo BDP-93, which is 3D capable, running through a 3D compatible receiver, but to a non-3D TV and projector.
A definitive answer would be nice here.  I'm going to make a purchase decision on this, and the ability to play the 3D disc in 2D is THE deciding factor.
I think if the HDMI flag doesn't show ALL components, including TV as 3D it won't let you play the 3D disc. I found this out while I was trying to get my setup working properly. Even if you turn off 3D mode on a capable tv or player it disables playback.
If you never plan on getting a 3D display, get the 2D/DVD set, but otherwise the 3D set will eventually be of use, but not to watch the 1.78 crop in 2D.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Does any Reviewer ever bother to proofread their reviews before posting them? This one is just filled with typos and incorrect information; mainly just sloppy writing that could have easily been fixed. Flipped release and review dates, 17:8 aspect ratios, etc. Show pride in your work.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Originally Posted by Mike Williams /t/323560/titanic-3d-blu-ray-review/30#post_3972011
Does any Reviewer ever bother to proofread their reviews before posting them? This one is just filled with typos and incorrect information; mainly just sloppy writing that could have easily been fixed. Flipped release and review dates, 17:8 aspect ratios, etc. Show pride in your work.
Between full-time work, a newborn and this voluntary gig - sometimes things slip through the cracks.

At least you weren't rude.

Oh wait.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Originally Posted by Mike Williams /t/323560/titanic-3d-blu-ray-review/30#post_3972011
The release/review date switch has been fixed.

The '17:8' aspect ratio is how it appears in the Yahoo! interview I quoted.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Neil Middlemiss said:
Between full-time work, a newborn and this voluntary gig - sometimes things slip through the cracks.
At least you weren't rude.
Oh wait.
See Neil, that's the problem, your priorities are backwards!!! :P
Seriously, the majority of us appreciate all of the reviewers' hard work. I know this is the first (and most of the time only) site I look to when I need a reviewer's confirmation before a purchase. :tu: :tu:

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
f7889861_images.jpeg

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Amazon Canada is listing this one as being a 3 disc set. Is that an error? As far as I was aware, the only 3D blu release of this film is the four disc version (regular & gift box configurations). Can anybody verify? I'd hate to order the wrong thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks