What's new

Titanic (1997) has greatest ending of all time, according to new survey. (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I think Cameron mentioned in an interview that he purposefully borrowed the ending of "Somewhere in Time" for "Titanic." Therefore I could never go as far as to say best as it's an homage.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
My own list, sponsored by Vanilla Coke :p)

-The Sixth Sense
-Planet of the Apes
-Ghost (:b)
-Casablanca
-The Godfather

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Some of my favs:
Life of Brian
Time Bandits
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
Touch of Evil
Army of Darkness (Theatrical Cut)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Definately Boogie Nights! I worked the premiere of that and holy bejesus the crowd went nuts at that final scene.

" I am a star. I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star. I am a big, bright, shining star."
:D

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Can someone please post a "spoiler" version of the ending of Princess Bride? I've seen it before, but don't remember what's so special about the ending...

Thanks.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Princess Bride ending:

Buttercup and Humperdink get rushed through a bogus "mawage" and Buttercup rushes to her room afterwards, resolving to kill herself. Wesley, having recently been revived from being "mostly dead" by Miracle Max, reclines on Buttercup's bed, and stops her as she is about to plunge the dagger into her bosom. She rushes over to him and showers him with kisses, only to discover that he is still almost completely paralyzed from being dead. Humperdink bursts in and is shocked to find Wesley still alive, but soon deduces that Wesley is weak and challenges him to a duel to the death. Wesley demurs and says he will fight a duel "to the pain", and goes on to describe a hideous fate of disfigurement that awaits Humperdink. He then miraculously gets to his feet, levels his rapier at Humperdink, and commands "Drop. Your. Sword." Humperdink complies, and Buttercup ties him up.

Meanwhile, Montoya finds the six-fingered man and chases him through the castle, only to receive a dagger in the gut just as he catches him. Dying, he recites his mantra "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Each time he recites the line, he gains strength, until he seems completely recovered from the gut wound and he kills the six-fingered man. "Promise me anything I want". "Anything!" "I want my father back, you son of a bitch."

Andre the Giant rounds up some horses, everyone jumps from Buttercup's window to the horses below, and they ride off into the sunset, culminating in "the most perfect kiss the world has ever known." Finis.

I've seen that movie way too many times. :)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Dave,
That isn't the end of Princess Bride:
They end the story & the grandfather starts to leave. The kid asks for him to come back & read to him again sometime, the grandfather replies "as you wish".

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Oh, is that what he was referring to? I never paid too much attention to the Fred Savage parts of the movie because he irritates me so much.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"Brazil, where hearts were entertaining June,
We stood beneath an amber moon
And softly murmured "someday soon."
We kissed and clung together,
Then, tomorrow was another day
The morning found me miles away
With still a million things to say;
Now, when twilight dims the sky above
Recalling thrills of our love,
There's one thing I'm certain of
Return I will to old Brazil."

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The Third Man - a very good choice.

The Last American Virgin - Glad you put the smiley on there, Tino. The ending to this one was like an especially painful kick in the balls!! ;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I just love that ending Lew, Sam had finally escaped, from reality, and lived happily ever after with the girl of his dreams. The close-up of his smiling face humming the theme to Brazil, camera pulling back, the credits rising, the music getting louder... brilliant! One of the few films I've watched twice in one evening.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks