What's new

Tis the Season for a new Projector! (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

Well...I started my home theater experience two years ago and bought the Sanyo PLV-Z4. Great buy and great picture. Now that I am playing blu-ray on my PS3 I'm starting to think 1080p. I was at a buddies house and saw a couple of movies on his 50" Samsung LCD 1080p monitor. Holy Crap!!! So what I would like help with is this. Given how great that was, is it possible to reproduce that image with a projector? I have a 104" screen and the current set up is where the projector is 15' away. I have full control of the lighting. No ambient light if I don't want any. I'm sure some will want to give me the "sure...buy that $10k projector and you are good to go" so I'll stop you there and say I still have a budget. If you can, I'll like to start researching about 3 projectors in the $2500-$3000 range.

Thoughts??

Thanks
Rick

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The 1080p "projector du Jour" is currently considered to be the Panasonic PT-AE3000.

The main selling point of the machine is its ability to optionally create a constant height setup without requiring *any* external lens. This means that your 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies will look wider than your 1.85:1 movies - and both will be rendered at the same height without "black bars". (Of course, the 1.85:1 AR movies will have "side bars" -just as 4:3 transfers have on a traditional 16:9 set. But this is more like what you would experience in an actual theater.)

It accomplishes this feat via a feature that Panasonic calls "Lens Memory". Lens Memory simply takes advantage of the fact that the projector has powered zoom and focus along with image shift. Once the 2.35:1 transfer has been adjusted to properly fill a 2.35:1 screen, pressing a "Lens Memory save button" preserves all those settings. Do the same thing for a 1.85:1 transfer (saving the settings to a separate "Lens Memory") and the end user can then switch between 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 by simply pressing two buttons. It's very simple and the end-user response to this unique feature has been terrific. Of course, you can also set the projector up as a traditional 16:9 system - or anything in between. (Some people prefer to setup a 2.0:1 aspect ratio setting. They then shift the 2.35:1 transfers to the top of the screen leaving just one (small) black bar below the image. The 1.85:1 transfers are then rendered without "side bars" and seem wider to boot!)

Irrespective of "Lens Memory", the PT-AE3000 has some spectacular specs, and is available for less than $3000.

It should definitely be on your short list of 1080p projectors to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks