What's new

Timeless Media: Yancy Derringer (Complete Series) (1958-59) (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
My copy arrived from Deep Discount today. I watched the first episode, "Return to New Orleans," and it is in excellent shape. If the other episodes look this good I will be very happy.

The 34 episodes are shown in chronological order.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Episode Two is not quite as nice as Episode One, but is very watchable. There are a couple of instances of mild film flutter, but it still is heads and shoulders above the bootlegs I have seen.

A good lineup of guest stars so far. Julie Adams is in the first episode and Claude Akins in the villain in #2.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
Are the episodes in chronological order and how many episodes there is on each disc. Thanks

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
maskedmala said:
Are the episodes in chronological order and how many episodes there is on each disc. Thanks
Richard reports in the post above, the episodes are in chronological order. Being a four-disc set, figure 8-9 episodes per disc. That's okay if they are dual-layer DVDs.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I watched the first two discs and think they look great. The 'lost episode' I was concerned about, in an earlier post, is here. I did notice one episode had the wrong end credits. (So I'll be keeping my bootlegs for that, and the bumpers and alternate vocal version of the theme song which I have not run into yet on the new release.)
Yancy Derringer was a good show and only lasted one season, not because of low ratings but because the network and production company could not come to terms for the second season.
The show has a lot of continuity via recurring characters: Keven Hagen,Frances Bergan, Patricia Blair, Richard Devon, Larry Blake, Margaret Fields and many others.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Bob Gu said:
I watched the first two discs and think they look great. The 'lost episode' I was concerned about, in an earlier post, is here. I did notice one episode had the wrong end credits. (So I'll be keeping my bootlegs for that, and the bumpers and alternate vocal version of the theme song which I have not run into yet on the new release.) Yancy Derringer was a good show and only lasted one season, not because of low ratings but because the network and production company could not come to terms for the second season. The show has a lot of continuity via recurring characters: Keven Hagen,Frances Bergan, Patricia Blair, Richard Devon, Larry Blake, Margaret Fields and many others.
I just finished watching the entire series of Yancy Derringer. The only weak episode is "The Gun That Murdered Lincoln" which is a dupe of a TV print, but that episode comes with a disclaimer that Timeless could not locate better elements. Several of the episodes are missing the closing credits, so for those Timeless inserted the closing credits from a different episode. That is a bit annoying, but at least you can go to IMDB and get the cast credits for those episodes. The show took on more of a western look toward the end of its run, with several episodes which do not take place in New Orleans.

Margaret Field, by the way, was Sally Field's mother, and she appears in couple of episodes billed as Maggie Mahoney (she was married to Jock Mahoney from 1952 to 1968). It would have been interesting to see how the series would have developed if it had been renewed for a second season.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I just read something saying that the episode were missing the theme music. Is that true? Because I have a lot of episodes I transferred from 16mm prints and I'll keep those versions if that's the case.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I watched the initial episode on Amazon. Was any of this filmed at Disneyland? Kinda looked like it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't watched my set in years since it's more convenient to simply stream them from Prime. I'm just glad to have them available because it's an enjoyable series to simply kick back and watch.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
The instrumental theme for the syndicated reruns was composed by Herschel Burke Gilbert, it was heard in the underscore in episodes of the Rifleman.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks