What's new

TIME TUNNEL! - Where Are You? (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
It all sounds to me as if the Irwin Allen properties will all be out, come hell or high water, so that's a good thing.

The staggering of the other Volume 1's could be an attempt to get the "waiters" to splurge on the other series as well. You and I will surely buy TIME TUNNEL Volume 1, and a few months(?) down the road, while waiting for Volume 2, might be tempted by the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA Volume 1 set. Not a bad strategy, really...

As for whether the young whippersnappers will be investingating these, who knows? I suspect those interested in science fiction/time travel might be tempted, particularly if the hypnotic tunnel itself is prominently displayed on the cover.

Harry

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well thanks fox I guess. I mean I can understand splitting a Multi year series like LIS, but godssake it only lasted one year. I guess Voyage to the Bottom of the seas will be like this as well... but you gotta figure what this is saying. First off Fox is releasing Hill Street Blues in a Full season. They must be confident it will sell as a complete season set. Releasing Irwin Allen's shows split tells me they are not as confident. It also tells me if it does'nt sell then they won't produce a vol 2. If they were then they would'nt hedge their bets like this.

TroyMM

Grip
Hey Jeff,

I'm a youngster (1973) and I will be buying it. I've never seen Time Tunnel before, but I love Sci-fi, so it should be right up my alley.

Troy

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I was born in 1965 so I'm sort of a Youngster I guess and I love all the Irwin Allen Shows and will be getting all of them.

There was discussion and explanation from our Fox Rep here as to why the split seasons when they started doing it with Lost in Space. Remember these shows had 30-32 episodes per season, quite a bit more then the normal 22 episodes of more recent shows like Hill Street Blues. So instead of a more price friendly list of $49.95-$59.95 per season they had to go with $89.95 for LIS Season One and while Fox didn't loose confidence in the release they thought the price hurt sales. They must have been right because they continued with the rest of LIS and now other Irwin Allen Shows. So I wouldn't read anything into the split season decision. It appears they are ready to release them all.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
And I would'nt mind them charging me $89 for S1 of LIS if they remastered the show but they just whole sale dumped it on Disk with absolutely no effort, S3 of LIS looked awful and I can expect the same might be true with the rest of these series using old VHS Masters

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

The "young whippersnappers" who like "Quantum Leap" and "Sliders" would do well to check out "The Time Tunnel."

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I agree that $89.95 was overpriced when you consider that
they did little or no work on any restoration of the episodes nor were there any extras to speak of. Unless there were rights issues, I don't see why Fox 'had to'
price it at $89.95 I also think the poor quality of the episodes probably cost them some sales. Word of mouth can
help and hurt a movie so it is logical that word of mouth can affect dvd sales as well.

There is another reason why Fox broke the seasons into
volumes. Wal-mart was not happy with what Fox did with the first season. They probably realized it was overpriced as well. Fox came up with this scheme to mollify Wal-mart
without dropping prices.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I want VOYAGE!!

btw way-how does the pilot differ from the original ist episode?

ill probably pick it up-at least V1-it got silly after ep 10 imho;

now as for VOYAGE-since it is "only" in BW, like LIS Season 1, FOX may choose to also release it as one box as an incentive for folks who think BW is 'primitive'

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
A pretty good description of the differences between the TIME TUNNEL pilot, aired and un-aired, can be found here:

http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.co...tt_rendezvous/

I also agree that it's the lower half-season price points that makes these sets more attractive to a good portion of the public. Paying $30-$40 for a half-season of something you're not sure of is better than forking out $80 for an unknown.

Hey, as long as they're all remastered (and that's what we're hearing), and they're intact, I'm on board. I've waited so long for this series that paying $400+ for half a season of Japanese LaserDiscs was starting to look good to me. Thankfully I never went that route.

Harry

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm also a 1973-model Youngster, never saw Time Tunnel, but I plan to check it out. James Darren is pretty cool.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I'm very excited about Time Tunnel coming to DVD. My interest in that one pales considerably to my interest in getting Voyage on DVD. That is the Holy Grail of shows that remains for me to see released on DVD.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I was born 1979, and I watched all the Irwin Allen shows when they were airing regularly on the Sci Fi Channel. This is a definite buy.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe Fox released Season 1 of Remington Steele in both half season and full season sets. The full season set
sold for under $30 most places. I believe second season will be full season only. I guess half season didn't sell well.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
The below is from,
http://www.TVShowsOnDVD.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4247

Time Tunnel, The - Irwin Allen's Classic TV Series Comes To DVD!
Posted by David Lambert10/06/2005
Sharp-eyed readers remember the August news about Fox Home Entertainment's upcoming releases, and how The Time Tunnel was listed among those shows headed our way in 2006. How long into the new year will you have to wait? Just a few weeks, in fact!

January 24, 2006 sees the 4-DVD release of The Time Tunnel - Volume 1. In it you'll get half of the show's run: the first 15 episodes, in airdate order. On top of that you'll get the unaired pilot for this classic Irwin Allen series, plus the original syndicated TV promo, supplements about "Stills, Comic Books, & Scrap Books", and even an Irwin Allen Home Movie!

For those of you who may not recall, this show - the shortest-lived of the Irwin Allen science fiction shows on television - was about a seven billion dollar project by the government to build a time travel device. As a visiting senator decides whether the project should continue, James Darren as "Dr. Tony Newman" goes into the Tunnel to prove that it works. It does...too well! Newman finds himself on a sinking Titanic, and it's up to Robert Colbert as "Dr. Douglas Phillips" to go after him and save both their necks. Now, week after week, they go on different adventures through time with the assistance of the team in charge of the tunnel, including the lovely Lee Meriwether as Dr. Ann MacGregor.

The format of the show allowed for some great guest stars, and the first episode "Rendezvous with Yesterday" offers a couple of doozies! Michael Rennie, well known for The Day The Earth Stood Still, is on board the Titanic as Captain Smith. And the Internet Movie DataBase (IMDB.com) says to keep an eye out for a young Dennis Hopper as one of the passengers of the ill-fated vessel. The other episodes on the first DVD set will bring you Carroll O'Connor, Ellen Burstyn, Kevin Hagen, Joe E. Tata, Michael Ansara, Tom Skerritt, and others, including someone perhaps only a Star Trek fan may recognize: John "Commander Kyle" Winston.

The DVDs run 645 minutes, and will sell for $39.98 SRP. But don't pay full price; you can already pre-order this title from DVDPlanet.com for just $27.97! We'll have artwork for you on this long-awaited release just as soon as we can, so stay tuned.
Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4247
All news for this show:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=4288
More info on this show:
Time Tunnel, The

Copyright 2001-2005 TVShowsOnDVD.com - Contact us

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pleased that Time Tunnel is finally coming to DVD. My only regret is the Volume 1 decision. It's not unusual though for Fox to do this (they seem to be the only one doing it). They just release news of Alien Nation Season 1 and I don't recall any other Volume 1 sets to come our way, just DVD TV from Irwin Allen estate, e.g., Lost in Space.
I am assuming that Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea will be in Volume sets, as well as Land of the Giants, if and when it comes to DVD and any other Irwin Allen. Do you think they'll split Towering Inferno or Poseidon Adventure when the Special Editions come out -- in Volume sets -- HaHa!

By the way, has anyone heard on news about The Invaders on DVD -- a Quinn Martin Production. That always got me when the announcer would say - The Invaders .... A Quinn Martin Production. Who owns that for distribution?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I believe Paramount/Viacom is currently in control of the Quinn Martin series: THE FUGITIVE, THE INVADERS, THE FBI, CANNON, TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH, etc.

Many of them would make fine DVD sets, and natural purchases for me.

Go Paramount!

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Well, it's now less than three weeks away from the TIME TUNNEL DVD release - only 20 days.

The advance artwork has been posted in the VOYAGE thread, but we really should have it here, too.

While I would have preferred the original logo-type, I'm warming up to this artwork. As I mentioned in the other thread, at least this isn't another "floating heads" design.

The sales rank on Amazon has had the series at anywhere from the 200s to the 400s - not too bad for a generally forgotten, old sixties series!

Harry
...counting the days, online...

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Harry,

I'm also counting the days for this one! I'd given up on ever seeing this series on DVD. I was surprised when it was announced. The big question now for us is...how long do we wait for Vol 2? "General, transport me to the future time when Vol 2 is released" :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I hope it looks better than Season 3 of LIS, I've begun watching that set and it is by far the worst TV Transfers in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks