What's new

Time to Thrown Down! 2007 Top Ten Lists (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
It's that time of year again...

This is the place to post your top ten films of 2007.

I will compile a periodic master list of HTF's top ten of 2007 and post the results to this thread through the first three or four months of the year.

It is strongly suggested you have seen at least 30 films from 2007 before posting a list. films seen from this year are typically documented in the Track the films you watch thread or the 2007 films list thread

please order your list and include ten films. I will not include a list with less than ten films.

if your list is not ordered, all ten films will be awarded an equal point value while tabulating the master list.

Please limit yourself to just one tie if you absolutely must include one.

Most of HTF, american and international members, use academy qualification (one week theatrical run in LA or NYC) to determine if a film is 2007 or not, though you are free to use another qualification (first global release, which IMDB uses, is most common second choice)

If you update your list please make a post stating your list has changed, otherwise I won't change it in my excel sheet.

when compiling the master list, I'll award points based on ranking: for example, a number one film will receive 10 points, and a number 10 film will receive one point

see this post if you also want to Thrown Down your other Bests of the year:

thanks! and have fun. :)

----
Previous years:

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I've only got about five major films left to see this year, so I'm doing a bit better than last year. Here's my current top ten, bound to be changed and updated.

1. Atonement
2. Juno
3. Bridge to Terabithia
4. The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford
5. Ocean's Eleven
6. Stardust
7. Eastern Promises
8. Waitress
9. Knocked Up
10. Across the Universe

bumped
11. Martian Child
12. Bourne Ultimatum, the

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
1: Sunshine

2: No Country for Old Men

3: Bug

4: There Will Be Blood

5: Southland Tales

6: The Mist

7: Lake of Fire

8: The Last Winter

9: The Lookout

10: Death Proof

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
Finally caught up a bit of the late year releases.

1- ZODIAC
Whoah, I didn't expect that movie to be that good. I was totally compelled by the investigation and the detail in the movie. Very well made. Fincher does it again. In 1995, Se7en was my movie of the year.

2- The Bourne Ultimatum
Although I didn't find the first two particularily impressive, the last chapter made me fall on my ass. Stunning suspense with incredible editing. Matt Damon is in my opinion the best action hero of the decade.

3- Juno
Probably the movie that stayed with me the most after seeing it. An absolute joy! Ellen Page is presently the most adorable actress in the business.

4- Ratatouille
This is my second best Pixar movie after The Incredibles. This movie is so good, it almost got me into cooking.

5- Hot Fuzz
Not sure if it's a 2007 movie, but it's hilarious.

6- There Will be Blood
PT Anderson does it again with this peculiar and hypnotic movie. It's not too high in my top ten, but I suspect it to move up as I watch it again and again.

7- 3:10 To Yuma
I'm not into westerns usually, but the strong leads really pulled me into the story.

8- The Bridge To Terabithia
This movie perfectly capture what it is to be a kid seeking refuge from the eveyday life. Sad that this must have been overseen as a kiddie movie.

9- Transformers
yes, it's dumb, but all I wanted to see when I went to the theater is big robots blasting everything. I got served.

10- 300
The coolest (and most simplistic) movie of the year. I'm surprised, given the success it had at the beginning of 2007, that it isn't seen more in the member's top tens.

Biggest Disappointment: Spiderman 3
Guiltiest pleasure: Transformers
Biggest Surprise: Juno
Coolest character: David Webb

Still got Atonement and No Country For Old Men to see.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Placeholder. But for now, here is my temporary top ten

1. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
2. Once
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Michael Clayton
5. Ratatouille
6. Juno
7. The Bourne Ultimatum
8. Zodiac
9. There Will Be Blood
10. I'm Not There

Edit (12/26/07): Sweeney Todd replaced with I'm Not There.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Also a placeholder. I need to see two more films for certain, but I'll work a prelim list in a few days.

This I know (in no particular order):

Zodiac
No Country for Old Men
Ratatouille
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
American Gangster

Those will probably be on there.

EDIT: Here we go, still missing a few films I have yet to see.

1) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - not an easy choice to make, but this is the film I still linger over, the one I most want to see again. It's not even methodical...it's encompassing and lyrical to look at. Javier Bardem is going to win the Oscar (and that's OK), but Casey Affleck gives a monster performance here, across an exceptionally strong Jesse James. I also think it's the best score of the year.

2) Zodiac - Completely shunned at the end of the year, often for films that don't have an ounce of the staying power this film will show in times to come. Just a flawless deconstruction of criminal investigations and obsession. Fincher is one of the most gifted visualists in the history of film; here he takes a more direct, more traditional style (with a few trademark, brilliant flourishes that completely serve the storytelling) and matures into more than he has been.

3) Ratatouille - This was tough, as I still haven't listed No Country, but I think it'll get enough attention :) I think Ratatouille was the most surprisingly great movie I have ever seen. It's Pixar, and I expect exceptional filmmaking from them. But this kicked it into another gear, and elevated their usual brilliance into something sublime. The animation was to die for, and at this point, we are discussing performances more than technology.

4) No Country for Old Men - This future best picture winner deserves it. I picked three films ahead of it, but I would argue none of them are better films. This is the Coen brothers at the height of their powers, with some of the tightest, tautest filmmaking I've ever seen. Combine that with exceptional performances across the board, and an ending that requires some rumination and pays it off, and you have a very strong 2007.

5) American Gangster - Ridley Scott doing something he's never done before while doing what he always does. A period piece crime drama is common material for Hollywood, and has yielded some great films. Scott adds something exceptional to it, and audiences noted that, but critics seemed only mildly interested. Some directors simply have higher expectations and pay the price. This is not a great film, but it's a very, very good one. With some great scenes :)

6) There Will Be Blood - One of my most anticipated films, and the one I probably struggled the most with, including where to put it on this list. The filmmaking is exceptional, Daniel Day Lewis is a singular talent, and the themes are resonantly meaningful. It didn't click with me as much as I would have liked, but I'd wager some of that was me. The entire film rests on DDL's shoulders, and he carries it to the bitter end with swagger and raw intensity.

7) The Bourne Ultimatum - Basically a tighter version of the previous two films. It pays off the earlier films with a deft examination of the events leading up to Bourne's rebirth. The direction and editing are exceedingly polished, and Damon is a great center of gravity for the series. A very enjoyable summer film. I wish they could all be this good.

And this is where I'll stop ranking them and just list things I liked from other films. I tried to parse out the rest of my list, but they are interchangeable after this.

To caveat: I have not seen The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Knocked Up, Gone Baby Gone, or Once.

Sunshine - was brilliant for two acts followed by a merely decent third act. But I loved the sense of science fiction, isolation and camaraderie this film established and ran with. If it ended strionger, this would have been an easy inclusion.

Juno - was excellent, carried by a great performance from Ellen Page. The screenplay is very good, though I found some parts of it a little too twee. Page nailed her part, however.

Enchanted - another film absolutely carried by it's lead. I now worship at the altar of Amy Adams, and the sky is the limit for her. This was a VERY difficult role to pull off, and she positively makes it work. Because, you know, it really shouldn't.

300 - for all of the snickering this thing gets now, it was gangbusters when it came out. It was gory, looked great, and reveled in being the anti-(anti-war) movie. I'm biased in that the events covered are among those I consider among the most important in human history - though I readily acknowledge, it went down almost nothing like this. Except at the most primal level. So while most now smirk at the tawdry nonsense, it echoed something magnificent with great action scenes...so I admit I liked it. I'd prefer Michael Mann to make Gates of Fire, but hey, you get what you get. Great action sequences, and a budget epic.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
1. Ratatouille (10+/10)
2. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (10/10)
3. No Country for Old Men (10/10)
4. There Will Be Blood (9.5/10)
5. Sunshine (9.5/10)
6. American Gangster (9.5/10)
7. Juno (9.5/10)
8. Bridge to Terabithia (9.5/10)
9. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (9.5/10)
10. Zodiac (9/10)

Honorable Mention (8.5 or higher): 300, The Kingdom, Breach, Transformers, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Stardust, The Bourne Ultimatum, The Bucket List, August Rush, 3:10 to Yuma, The Great Debaters

Still want to see: Atonement, Michael Clayton, Sweeney Todd, Into the Wild, Eastern Promises, Grace is Gone, Rescue Dawn, A Mighty Heart

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Contrary to popular belief, this was a very good year for movies and it would be next to impossible for me to try to list ten when I could easily run off about 20-25. I will say that "No Country for Old Men" still ranks as the best thing I've seen all year with a whole host of movies vying for the #2 slot.

The worst thing I saw was easily "Alien vs. Predator: Requiem". Garbage, pure garbage.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

For me, 2007 is very similar to 2006: the big movies mostly stink but there are lots of good/great movies in the low-mid budget range.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. '06 was also a great movie year (my #1 flick was "Children of Men"). '07 had a lot of great flicks to choose from ('No Country', "Michael Clayton", "Once, "Juno", "Zodiac", "Into the Wild", "The Great Debaters", "Zodiac", 'Jesse James', "Gone Baby Gone", "3:10 to Yuma", etc.). These movies may not have been the monster box office successes that the more hyped '07 releases were, but they showed that the industry still knows how to produce great movies.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I saw two extraordinary films this year and really don't see the point in putting one in second place.

1) No Country for Old Men
1) Juno
3) Zodiac
4) There Will Be Blood
5) The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
6) Gone Baby Gone
7) Sicko
8) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
9) Michael Clayton
10) Eastern Promises

Edit to add The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'm almost all caught up, so I'll post my preliminary list now and revise as I mull it over:

1) No Country For Old Men
2) There Will Be Blood
3) Exiled (Johnny To)
4) Superbad
5) Zodiac
6) Ratatouille
7) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
8) Knocked Up
9) Atonement
10) Eastern Promises

Honorable Mentions: American Gangster, Black Snake Moan, 3:10 to Yuma, Once, Gone Baby Gone, Across the Universe

Haven't seen: Juno, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
Top 10 of 2007
(As of January 26th)
1. There Will Be Blood

2. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

3. Ratatouille

4. Juno

5. No Country For Old Men

6. The Mist

7. Knocked Up

8. The Bourne Ultimatum

9. Across The Universe

10. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Bottom 5 of 2007
(As of January 3rd)
1. Ghost Rider
2. Wild Hogs
3. Evan Almighty
4. 30 Days of Night
5. The Golden Compass

(The list is subject to change as movies in limited release and expand to my area)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
for me, 2007 is a very good year. above 2006/ 2004 but not quite to the level of 2005 (which I felt was a peak year comparable to 1999), this year is very like 2001 for me, which was another exceptional year for film.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Does anyone else want to Throw Down their other Bests of the year?

I'll also compile an HTF awards in this thread, post your winner and up to two alternates in each of the following categories (winner gets two points, Alternate gets one)

Best Director
Best Editing
Best Cinematography
Best Effects
Best Sound
Best Production Design & Costumes
Best Makeup
Best Actor
Best Actress
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Screenplay

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
01.No Country For Old Men
02.Ratatouille
03.Eastern Promises
04.Zodiac
05.American Gangster
06.Hot Fuzz
07.Superbad
08.Stardust
09.Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
10.Bourne Ultimatum, The

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Sorry for the interruption as I'm interrupting the thread and the placeholder brigade.

But this placeholder stuff is nonsense. Are people so desperate for attention that they need placeholders? I doubt that people go back to the first page to read this stuff, so it only gets attention for people that might google the thread at some point. And then the people that put placeholders then post worthless posts later on when they realize that no one is going to go back to check their placeholder posts. So they announce that they've now added/changed stuff to their placeholder post, rather than just posting when they've actually have something to say.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but it is what it is. Don't be that guy.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And in that spirit, here's my placeholder, which will probably never be filled with an actual list.

There are so many of those each year. It's my turn to join in.

Brian.L

Supporting Actor
Top Ten of 2007

1. Superbad

2. Zodiac

3. Persepolis

4. Knocked Up

5. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

6. Michael Clayton

7. No Country For Old Men

8. The Bourne Ultimatum

9. The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen)

10. Gone Baby Gone

Honorable Mentions (in order of ranking):
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, The Savages, Ratatouille, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Wind That Shakes the Barley, Offside, Sunshine, 3:10 To Yuma, Atonement, Paprika, A Mighty Heart, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Le Scaphandre et le Papillon), Into the Wild, There Will Be Blood, I'm Not There, Grindhouse

EDIT 1/23/08: Gone Baby Gone moved up to #10, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix moved off list, honorable mentions added to and shuffled around.
EDIT 2/03/08: Honorable mentions added to and shuffled around (redux). I would say the list is probably pretty close to finalized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks