What's new

Time to buy X-MEN 1.5 (box and pubs) (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I really don't think the "1.5" is any more misleading than a "special edition" banner. Movies such as the original "Star Wars" trilogy and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" were re-released theatrically as newly cut "Special Editions" and that doesn't necessarily mean that people are expecting a new cut of every movie that carries the "Special Edition" banner. The way I see it, the only way people are going to assume that the "1.5" means an all-new cut of the movie is if they're familiar with the past rumors of a new cut.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
This is one DVD I will not be repurchasing. If they would have given us a new cut with extra footage, I would have picked it up for sure. The 1.5 added to the title also seems a bit confusing, and makes no sense since we don't have a new cut. Looks like Fox is trying to dupe consumers into thinking this is the new cut that was rumored without actually delivering.
J

GaryEA

Second Unit
The way I see it, the only way people are going to assume that the "1.5" means an all-new cut of the movie is if they're familiar with the past rumors of a new cut.
Which is a lot of people. These rumors were reported in such magazines as Entertainment Weekly, which has a broad base of readers.

The studios, while jockeying to trumpet each product as better and more appealing, has really eroded the phrases they depend upon. Now, these phrases, which meant something at one time, are vague and meaningless a vast portion of the time.

Another sign that DVD is beginning to eat itself on its way up the mountain.

-g

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Why do they release an almost same package? Why wouldn't they wait til X2 DVD comes out, and put together a new boxset containing a real X-MEN 1.5 and X2?

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Aaryn Because that would make to much sense. And like someone else pointed out they are trying to build up hype for X-Men 2. I still think that 1.5 implies its a new cut and it should be dropped from the title. I will have to wait on reviews to see if it warrents a repurchase of this movie for the DTS sounds track. I could care less about extras, but they are fun to watch sometimes. They just don't hold buying value to me. I am all about picture and sound quality.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Does it feature the alternate score?
No, there was actually never going to be one. If you ask John Ottman, he's as bemused as anyone regarding stories that he was ever going to re-score X-Men. It was more bogus rubbish to have spawned from AICN.

Dan

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
1.5 in programming speak implies significant changes to the product. If it's just minor changes, they should call it 1.0.1 or something to that effect... ;)
Now that Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition is out, the bar has been duly raised for all revisiting of current high-profile Hollywood titles and this X-Men disc will fall woefully short, I fear.

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Just saw this cover art on the Bits. Figured I'd add my voice of agreement that the "1.5" and the cover art are both terrible. I think the 1.5 has to be the lamest marketing ploy I've seen in a while. MAYBE if the movie were about computers. Or math. Or it starred Mini-Me. But this is just dopey. Figured this would be a re-purchase, but now... not so sure.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
The cover is ugly. I didn't buy the 1st one because I heard that they would do a DC. I'm still waiting and I might just keep on waiting after seeing the "1.5" that they're putting out. What a load of POOOOOh

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
From dvdfile.com October 22

X-Men update - 12:03am

Last but not least, an update on Fox Home Entertainment's upcoming new two-disc special edition reissue of the Bryan Singer blockbuster X-Men. Due on February 11th, this set was originally planned to feature a new extended cut of the film, code-named 'X-Men 1.5,' but alas this new version has been dropped along with the numerical tag. Only the 96-minute theatrical cut will be included, and a Fox spokesperson has also indicated that the number of deleted scenes and participants on the audio commentary previously announced have not yet been fully determined and may change as the release draws near. Unfortunately, these specs have already been released to retailers and via the official Fox press website, so beware any preorder information to the contrary. Stay tuned for further details...
Looks like they changed their mind about dropping the 1.5 after all... shame that.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I hope this release completely bombs, if only to teach Fox never to retitle a movie with "version numbers" like 1.5 ever again. What a completely ridiculous idea!!!

GaryEA

Second Unit
From the DVDFile article;

Due on February 11th, this set was originally planned to feature a new extended cut of the film, code-named 'X-Men 1.5,' but alas this new version has been dropped along with the numerical tag.
Excellent.

It's still a shame that a new cut didn't come to fruition (hey, what can you do?), but at least the marketing has been adjusted accordingly.

Was the "1.5" tag Singer's idea, or Fox's?

-g

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Was planning on buying this one since I can't find my original :eek: , but if there's a price difference no sale, will stick with the first version.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I also got rid of my dvd when I heard there was another version in the works. This was a year ago now (and R1 dvds aren't that easy to dispose of in the UK), so I'll be picking this one up if only for the dts soundtrack.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
This is very WRONG! Can you imagine if the new Pulp Fiction UE was released as Pulp Fiction 1.5? I feel sorry for the retailers that have to TRY to explain to people that it's the same, first, Xmen movie and that they have no idea why it's called "Xmen 1.5".

As far as I'm concerned Fox is doing this to get more sales, making people think it's a different cut. And if this is truly the case, then Fox is lying!

Jeff

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I find it disturbing that we have a whole thread of anger over the 1.5 thing when this was posted at DVD File last month (while this thread was started since that time)
new version has been dropped along with the numerical tag said:
Anyway, X-Men in DTS, just what we were asking Peter for way back when. I always thought that Fox and Singer seemed interested in doing some more with the film (like DTS or another cut) but that time/other was keeping it from happening. Glad to see that at least the DTS aspect finally appears to have happened.
To be honest though, the original release was pretty darn sharp too. X-Men never felt like a release that desperately needed much better treatment.

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry. Gotta disagree - this is a shameless, worthless release to plug the sequel. So dissapointing when you think of what they could have done with this....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks