1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to buy X-MEN 1.5 (box and pubs)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aaryn Chan, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Well-Known Member

1.5? What is up with that? it makes no sense at all. I hope it's dropped.

Dean

2. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Well-Known Member

I really don't think the "1.5" is any more misleading than a "special edition" banner. Movies such as the original "Star Wars" trilogy and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" were re-released theatrically as newly cut "Special Editions" and that doesn't necessarily mean that people are expecting a new cut of every movie that carries the "Special Edition" banner. The way I see it, the only way people are going to assume that the "1.5" means an all-new cut of the movie is if they're familiar with the past rumors of a new cut.

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Well-Known Member

This is one DVD I will not be repurchasing. If they would have given us a new cut with extra footage, I would have picked it up for sure. The 1.5 added to the title also seems a bit confusing, and makes no sense since we don't have a new cut. Looks like Fox is trying to dupe consumers into thinking this is the new cut that was rumored without actually delivering.
    J

4. GaryEA

GaryEA Well-Known Member

5. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Well-Known Member

Why do they release an almost same package? Why wouldn't they wait til X2 DVD comes out, and put together a new boxset containing a real X-MEN 1.5 and X2?

6. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Well-Known Member

Aaryn Because that would make to much sense. And like someone else pointed out they are trying to build up hype for X-Men 2. I still think that 1.5 implies its a new cut and it should be dropped from the title. I will have to wait on reviews to see if it warrents a repurchase of this movie for the DTS sounds track. I could care less about extras, but they are fun to watch sometimes. They just don't hold buying value to me. I am all about picture and sound quality.

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Well-Known Member

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

1.5 in programming speak implies significant changes to the product. If it's just minor changes, they should call it 1.0.1 or something to that effect... [​IMG]
    Now that Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition is out, the bar has been duly raised for all revisiting of current high-profile Hollywood titles and this X-Men disc will fall woefully short, I fear.

9. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Well-Known Member

Greg R
    Just saw this cover art on the Bits. Figured I'd add my voice of agreement that the "1.5" and the cover art are both terrible. I think the 1.5 has to be the lamest marketing ploy I've seen in a while. MAYBE if the movie were about computers. Or math. Or it starred Mini-Me. But this is just dopey. Figured this would be a re-purchase, but now... not so sure.

10. Brenton

Brenton Well-Known Member

The cover! It's so ugly!

And 1.5??? Gimme a break!

11. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Well-Known Member

The cover is ugly. I didn't buy the 1st one because I heard that they would do a DC. I'm still waiting and I might just keep on waiting after seeing the "1.5" that they're putting out. What a load of POOOOOh

12. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Well-Known Member

From dvdfile.com October 22

13. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Well-Known Member

I hope this release completely bombs, if only to teach Fox never to retitle a movie with "version numbers" like 1.5 ever again. What a completely ridiculous idea!!!

14. GaryEA

GaryEA Well-Known Member

From the DVDFile article;

15. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Well-Known Member

Was planning on buying this one since I can't find my original [​IMG] , but if there's a price difference no sale, will stick with the first version.

16. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Well-Known Member

I also got rid of my dvd when I heard there was another version in the works. This was a year ago now (and R1 dvds aren't that easy to dispose of in the UK), so I'll be picking this one up if only for the dts soundtrack.

17. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

This is very WRONG! Can you imagine if the new Pulp Fiction UE was released as Pulp Fiction 1.5? I feel sorry for the retailers that have to TRY to explain to people that it's the same, first, Xmen movie and that they have no idea why it's called "Xmen 1.5".

As far as I'm concerned Fox is doing this to get more sales, making people think it's a different cut. And if this is truly the case, then Fox is lying!

Jeff

18. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Well-Known Member

I find it disturbing that we have a whole thread of anger over the 1.5 thing when this was posted at DVD File last month (while this thread was started since that time)
    Anyway, X-Men in DTS, just what we were asking Peter for way back when. I always thought that Fox and Singer seemed interested in doing some more with the film (like DTS or another cut) but that time/other was keeping it from happening. Glad to see that at least the DTS aspect finally appears to have happened.
    To be honest though, the original release was pretty darn sharp too. X-Men never felt like a release that desperately needed much better treatment.

19. JasonKZ

JasonKZ Well-Known Member

Sorry. Gotta disagree - this is a shameless, worthless release to plug the sequel. So dissapointing when you think of what they could have done with this....

20. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for 1.6

Ric