What's new

Time/Life Press Release: The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
JohnMor said:
I remember seeing that on "The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion" special back in 1993 when it first happened. As to why it never made on the LBUTL dvd, I can't help you there, as I never saw that special or the dvd.  He really did end up more handsome than I would have suspected from his original appearance.  LOL.  The other cool thing about the "Reunion" audience that night, was that it contained a lot of the original dancers, which was great to see.
Ahhh, so that clip was in THAT reunion show, which is NOT on DVD and I hope ends up on the next TL set. Yeah I was gonna say the kid grew up um, well. And I remember now Don Crichton in the audience. Anyone remember him as Apollo?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
JohnMor said:
As far as favorites go, many of mine made the cut: "Backstage" (with Sammy David, Jr.),
Oh yeah, Sammy Davis Jr. "Why, no one could clean our house like your mother!"
"The Kidnapping," Bring my husband back, sob sob... "Let me try that again..."
"The Family: "Visit to Phililip," "Philip never did have any sense of family."
"Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary," "Oh my god, my father is the Fernwood Peek-a-Booer!" Tim opening up his bathrobe to reveal a panda bear on his nightshirt: "Ooohwaaaa!" Carol: "Oh, he's flashed his panda all over town!"
Remember Jeckyll and Heidi Hyde? "Arg. Arg. Arg. Argargarg."

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
"Crybaby Crenshaw!!"

"You... you waddled up to me with all your fat tucked in your daddy's bathing suit! And you said, 'You better give me that pail, or I'm gonna go shame-shame in your sandbox!'"

"How long am I supposed to sit out in that car like a bag of dirty laundry?!"

"Dear Mrs. Higgins, we enjoyed your audition and would like to have you appear on 'The Gong Show!'"

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
JohnMor said:
"Crybaby Crenshaw!!"
"You... you waddled up to me with all your fat tucked in your daddy's bathing suit! And you said, 'You better give me that pail, or I'm gonna go shame-shame in your sandbox!'"
"How long am I supposed to sit out in that car like a bag of dirty laundry?!"
"Dear Mrs. Higgins, we enjoyed your audition and would like to have you appear on 'The Gong Show!'"
LOL!!!
In a women behind bars sketch, Carol walks over to Vicki who has just played what appears to be a soulful harmonica solo. "that sounded nice" Carol says. "yeah" Vicki says, opening her empty hand, "it should sound even better when I get a harmonica!"
The writer sketch where the cast in a lifeboat scurry to act out whatever the author's voiceover says, even as he changes his mind. "The stranger picked this moment to play his hand,"
Weirdest ensemble number ever: Elizabethan Rhythm. "Do the hot new Derry Down Ding. Do the New Elizabethan Rhythm. Thou Shalt Do Thine Own Elizabethan thing!"
Carol recycles songs from the Julie and Carol specials, replacing Julie with Maggie Smith ("You're So London" ) and someone else for the 70s pop medley.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
ROTF!

"You Made Me Love You in the key of G!"

Oh man, so much to revisit and so much will probably be like the first time, as I've avoided the truncated "Carol Burnett and Friends" eps since the 1980's.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
JohnMor said:
ROTF!  
"You Made Me Love You in the key of G!"
Oh man, so much to revisit and so much will probably be like the first time, as I've avoided the truncated "Carol Burnett and Friends" eps since the 1980's.
oh man that broad dressed like Maude - you know was singing to another broad... that smokestack hairdo and long vest was practically a UNIFORM for our sappho sisters in the 70s.
Remember the Nora Desmond Roast, even Max gets into it. "She is committed. Or at least she should be." "MAX!" "Shutup madam, I'm on a roll!"
I can probably freeze Netflix for a month when this comes out.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/321236/time-life-press-release-the-carol-burnett-show-the-ultimate-collection/90#post_3956638
oh man that broad dressed like Maude - you know was singing to another broad... that smokestack hairdo and long vest was practically a UNIFORM for the sappho sisters in the 70s.

I've always suspected that she and the other woman in the audience who first pointed her out were friends and set the whole thing up. "Is that lady 'Maude'?" "I'd love to sing a song for that little lady!" Subtle they weren't! But it made for great television!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
JohnMor said:
I've always suspected that she and the other woman in the audience who first pointed her out were friends and set the whole thing up.  "Is that lady 'Maude'?" "I'd love to sing a song for that little lady!" Subtle they weren't!  But it made for great television! 
are you saying the other lady asked "is that Maude?" I haven't seen it in a while. Yeah I think you're right about the setup.
Also in this set: Madeline Kahn as the haughty community theatre director: "in our circles - in our circles - in our circles."

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
"Fair Morning..."
Tim Conway Flashes his Panda...

[VIDEO]www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIInfYn96K4[/VIDEO]
"Ooohwhaaaaaa!"

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
So are any of the episodes on the Columbia house sets NOT yet released on DVD?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
DeWilson said:
So are any of the episodes on the Columbia house sets NOT yet released on DVD?
If you mean are there any previously released episodes that are not in the Time Life Ultimate set, yes. Columbia House released 62 episodes in 31 volumes. Someone here has helpfully compared the lists and revealed there are 9 new to DVD episodes in this set. Out of 50 that means 41 previously released, which leaves 21 previously released that TL has not put out yet.

Sadie1ge

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Schiaffino
I compared my 31 Columbia House and the list from the ultimate Time Life box set and I found that 11 episodes are NEW to DVD. So, I'm saying the number is indeed 11, not 9.
Makes me thrilled!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sadie1ge said:
I compared my 31 Columbia House and the list from the ultimate Time Life box set and I found that 11 episodes are NEW to DVD. So, I'm saying the number is indeed 11, not 9.
Makes me thrilled!
Hey Rob,
That number was debated here earlier due to some potentially inaccurate airdates on the previous disc packaging.
If you track back in this or the other Carol Burnett thread, you'll find who it was who disagreed on the number.
I posted a complete SERIES episode list (compiled by another person) here not long ago, and that seems to be fairly correct. It is not tied to either previous disc release. I was able to use that to correct at least one question or discrepancy (I think it was the actual airdate of a Madeline Kahn episode) on one of the disc lists.
I hope that list helps clear up any discrepancies so we can be sure of the actual content.
I haven't dug deep enough myself to be sure either way.
Do you have any favorite episodes that aren't in the current Time Life sets?

Sadie1ge

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Schiaffino
HI T,
Thanks for that list.....great!
One of my favorite skits is when Eunice, Ed and Mama go to a fine dining restaurant. Classic! I wish it was released. In fact, I wish ALL of the family skits would have been made available. But, I'm thrilled to have anything. I do have some episodes which were not released in any format. So, I'm a hardcore fan indeed.
Oh, How about that skit where Sammy Davis Jr plays a flamboyant prisoner while Conway's OLD MAN has that classic line. "STROKE! STROKE! "I'm having a stroke!"
The other classic line is an ad-lib by Conway when Lyle says "A key!".... Tim responds "speak spanish!"

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sadie1ge said:
HI T,
Thanks for that list.....great!
One of my favorite skits is when Eunice, Ed and Mama go to a fine dining restaurant. Classic! I wish it was released. In fact, I wish ALL of the family skits would have been made available. But, I'm thrilled to have anything. I do have some episodes which were not released in any format. So, I'm a hardcore fan indeed.
Oh, How about that skit where Sammy Davis Jr plays a flamboyant prisoner while Conway's OLD MAN has that classic line. "STROKE! STROKE! "I'm having a stroke!"
The other classic line is an ad-lib by Conway when Lyle says "A key!".... Tim responds "speak spanish!"
Yes I remember the Stroke line. How about the Jeckll & Hyde sketch where they keep changing sexes. "I need to go outside for a breath of air... and some Nair."
I'm quite confident we will get all the family sketches eventually. I look forward to the Charo episode, the London episode, Little Miss Showbiz... I wonder which episode the Author sketch is in. Looking for the episode when Carol sings The Pretty Little Dolly.
I still kinda hope some channel like Hallmark or Lifetime will run this in syndication. At least The Hub, TV Land or Antenna.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I haven't seen the Family sketch set in the fine restaurant since its original airing, but I'm still laughing at Mama's run-in with the washroom attendant. "They don't treat you like this at Fat Jack's!"

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
One of my favorite lines from the "Family: Sorry!" sketch:
Mama: "EUNICE, I THINK YOUR PLAYING HOCKEY WITH WARPED PUCK!!"
That one gets me everytime! Luv it!!!:rock:

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
mrz7 said:
One of my favorite lines from the "Family: Sorry!" sketch:
Mama: "EUNICE, I THINK YOUR PLAYING HOCKEY WITH WARPED PUCK!!"
That one gets me everytime! Luv it!!!:rock:
How cool is it that Vicki developed from a giggly high school girl to the kind of a seasoned pro who could crack up Carol and co with some great ad-libs!
Check out her book, which is available very affordably online. She's been through the ringer in the biz and has a lot to say about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.