What's new

Time/Life Press Release: The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection (1 Viewer)

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
The Walmart stores in the city I live in here in Wpg. MB,Canada all have the "Christmas With Carol" dvds priced at $10. Wish I had known that before ordering mine off amazon.ca - oh well i only paid a dollar more for it!

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Has anyone else purchased the new 6 disc set, Carol's Crack Ups? I purchased it off Amazon this week and when it arrived it was missing disc 3. If you get this set make sure you have all the discs.

I decided to contact time-life/star vista first about this as I thought it might be a widespread issue, and was rudely told there was nothing they could do for me. I don't think I've ever been spoken to so curtly as that representative did. She said I purchased it through Amazon and it was their problem, not ours. She said she would be more than glad to place a new order for me at a nice discount, $2 off the retail price. I said thanks for the help and just hung up on her. Amazon said they would just ship me out a new set and I asked them to please look into if they received a bad batch missing discs.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I did receive my copy of the 6 DVD set of "Carols Crackups", but my DVDs were all there. However, I notice the case they were in could fit 8 DVDs......so two of the holders had no DVDs in them. I thought it was odd that Star Vista would spend extra money on an eight disc holder for a 6 DVD set. Then I found out that Costco has an exclusive of this set (8 DVDs) with 3 additional shows and bonus features. Makes me very mad that Star Vista keeps doing this.....for one, because I already ordered the 6 DVD set AND two, I don't have a membership to Costco (nor do I want one).

In any case, I only finished watching the 1st DVD.....so far all the shows are intact (they are uncut). They are all new shows (nothing is repeated from the 2012 Ultimate Collection). However, if you have the Columbia House version, only 7 of the 17 shows are repeated from the Columbia House (31 DVD set). Lots of bonus sketches featuring Tim Conway (including the old man sketch featuring the old man as a fireman......been waiting for that sketch to come on DVD for a long time!!!). Also, the full uncut show featuring Charo......which I have also been waiting for long time......luv the skit in which Carol plays Charo's mother......frickin hysterical!!!! Only other disappointment, I thought the full sketch of the "Family" skit featuring the Tim Conway's "Siamese Elephants" was on the first DVD.....but it's not the show that I thought it was. There is a small segment though of this skit featured in one of the featurettes on the first DVD (not the greatest quality....very similar to the one found on YouTube). Also, just to let you all know, you won't find too many "Family Skits" (only one that I have notice with Rodney McDowall from the 11th season) and there are no "Tuddball and Wiggins" skits. So if you are looking for more these skits....you might be a little disappointed in this set.

But if you want more new shows from the Carol Burnett Show (with the exception of 7 shows repeated from the Columbia House set).....this 6 DVD set is what you want. Or if you are a Costco member the 8 DVD set (btw.....the 7th DVD of Costco's version features 3 uncut new shows (one has been repeated from the Columbia House version...and that would then make it 8 repeated shows if you bought this version)). And 8th DVD of the Costco set just features some featurettes and interviews (no additional shows).

I hope that helps you all!!!

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Why do they do this bonus disc crap w/more episodes? If you are going to have a bonus disc make it just that, bonus stuff like more interviews or something. This type of stuff frustrates me to no end!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
mrz7 said:
I did receive my copy of the 6 DVD set of "Carols Crackups", but my DVDs were all there. However, I notice the case they were in could fit 8 DVDs......so two of the holders had no DVDs in them. I thought it was odd that Star Vista would spend extra money on an eight disc holder for a 6 DVD set. Then I found out that Costco has an exclusive of this set (8 DVDs) with 3 additional shows and bonus features. Makes me very mad that Star Vista keeps doing this.....for one, because I already ordered the 6 DVD set AND two, I don't have a membership to Costco (nor do I want one).
I don't mind so much that they have exclusives, but put that in the press release so people can plan their purchases accordingly.

So here is the updated schedule of episodes released, for anyone that is interested. With this release, counting the new Costco exclusive, we now have 85 episodes on dvd. 8 episodes are exclusive to the Columbia House/Guthy-Renker sets, while 23 are exclusive to Time-Life/StarVista. However, of those 23 StarVista exclusives, 4 are edited and missing their musical finales.

If I hear of any more exclusives (Walmart, etc.), I'll update the schedule.

View attachment CAROL BURNETT SHOW ON DVD.pdf

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
JohnMor said:
I don't mind so much that they have exclusives, but put that in the press release so people can plan their purchases accordingly.

So here is the updated schedule of episodes released, for anyone that is interested. With this release, counting the new Costco exclusive, we now have 85 episodes on dvd. 8 episodes are exclusive to the Columbia House/Guthy-Renker sets, while 23 are exclusive to Time-Life/StarVista. However, of those 23 StarVista exclusives, 4 are edited and missing their musical finales.

If I hear of any more exclusives (Walmart, etc.), I'll update the schedule.

attachicon.gif
CAROL BURNETT SHOW ON DVD.pdf
Thanks for the updated list, John. I just picked this up at Costco this morning.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I received my replacement set today from Amazon, and disc 3 was missing again. I opted for just a refund and i'll try my luck locally or something.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
chadHobbick said:
I received my replacement set today from Amazon, and disc 3 was missing again. I opted for just a refund and i'll try my luck locally or something.
Oh, that is just too crazy! :(

If you go with the Costco set, it was only $29 at my local Costco. Quite a bit cheaper, plus extra episodes. Pretty good deal for those with a Costco membership.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I'm in OKC, so we don't have a Costco anywhere close by nor am I a member. Thanks for the suggestions though

texboil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Robbins
Was the "One More Time" set ever released individually, i.e., outside of the Time-Life Ultimate Collection?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
A few questions for the Carol Burnett experts here...

I have up to now held off on these various Time-Life box sets because before they were released, I already had sprung for the Guthy-Renker collection (which is essentially the Columbia House set minus the last ten discs). But I have started to pick up the "Lost Episodes" sets and I have managed to track down a couple of the earlier Time-Life sets pretty cheap, so I took the plunge. So for now I would like to find out:

(1) "Carol's Crack Ups" with the two Costco bonus discs -- that's not still available, is It? I have seen a couple listings for it and sometimes it's gone over $100 (the regular 6 disc version can be found for a lot less).

(2) "Carol's Favorites" -- I tracked one down on eBaY for an unbelievable low price, then I discovered this set (like "This Time Together") has a version with a bonus disc (so 7 DVDs instead of 6). But looking into this further, it seems the additional shows are:

#718 with Vincent Price and Joel Grey (2/9/1974)

#806 with Telly Savalas and the Smothers Brothers (10/12/1974)

I have both of these on the Guthy-Renker DVDs, so it looks like I'm in good shape. But can anyone who has the 7-DVD version tell me, does that extra disc have any bonus features on it, like additional skits from the first five years or otherwise unreleased episodes? If that's the case I might feel compelled to pick it up while it still can be found at a reasonable price.

I originally wasn't going to bother with "Carol's Favorites" at all, since it only had two episodes I don't already have. But I got it for five bucks!

(3) The final ten Columbia House volumes were going to be a problem for me. But it looks like of those 20 shows, only two have not been released by Time-Life:

#1011 with Alan King (12/4/1976) (Vol. 26)

#816 with the Jackson 5 (1/25/1975) (Vol. 31)

Is that correct?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Hi, gang. Please bear with me on this, I have a few more questions regarding the various Carol Burnett releases...

When the first Time-Life sets came out, I passed on them as I already had the 21 Guthy-Renker DVDs and there was a lot of duplication. I couldn't justify the cost.

But recently I have picked some of them up very economically. Meanwhile, a few years back I bought a couple of the single discs, mostly for the extras since each of them had a skit from the early years of the show. This was before the Lost Episodes were released.

Okay, so now I have the 6-DVD "Carol's Favorites" and the 7-DVD "This Time Together." Some things make more sense and some things confuse me.

I initially got two of the single discs, I believe at Target. The first one is called "Carol's Favorites" with a red background. It is the exact same disc as DVD 1 of the "Carol's Favorites" box set. It has the number one in a circle on the disc next to the company logos. Okay, that's a duplicate, I can give that to somebody or whatever.

I also picked up a "This Time Together" single disc (blue background) around the same time. This one corresponds to DVD 2 in the "This Time Together" box set. It's the same three shows. But...

...the one in the box has no extras, while this one has a "bonus sketch." It's "Sunnyset Boulevard" and it says it's from the 12/29/1971 show. There are two other features called "Bring Up The Lights" and "Focus On 'The Family.'"

Now, I figured this was stuff from the big set, but as far as I can tell, "Sunnyset Boulevard" doesn't seem to show up anywhere else. Unless it's on the third volume, "One More Time." I don't have that one yet.

I also managed to snag the Wal-Mart exclusive "This Time Together" single disc with three shows from the later Columbia House DVDs which didn't make the Time-Life sets. Two more bonus skits from the early years on here:

"Society Marriage" with Jerry Lewis (1/11/1971)

"Lovely Story" (2/1/1971)

So have these "bonus sketches" been released elsewhere, or are they exclusive to this DVD?

I also picked up a "Carol's Favorites" with a blue background from Cracker Barrel. That one is definitely pulled from the "One More Time" set -- the front of the DVD says "One More Time" (even though the case says "Carol's Favorites") and even has a disc number. So that one will eventually become superfluous.

Do these three skits show up anywhere else?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.