1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Time/Life Press Release: The Carol Burnett Show: Carol's Crack Ups

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    NEW RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT

[​IMG]

LAUGH UNTIL YOU CRY WITH THE MOST HILARIOUS
    AND MEMORABLE EPISODES OF CAROL BURNETT'S LEGENDARY TV SERIES, NOW COLLECTED IN A
    BRAND NEW, EXTRAS-LOADED DVD SET --
    ONLY FROM STARVISTA ENTERTAINMENT!

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: CAROL'S CRACK UPS

The 6-Disc Set, Featuring Episodes and Bonus Programming Never
    Before Available is Priced to Add to Every Comedy Lover's
    Home Entertainment Collection for $59.95srp

IN STORES APRIL 15

FAIRFAX, VA -- In the Fall of 2013, StarVista Entertainment served up the gift of laughter with the first retail release of The Carol Burnett Show. Featuring episodes hand-picked by Carol herself and loaded with bonus programming, the 6-disc CAROL'S FAVORITES was an immediate hit with fans and critics alike. This was shortly followed by the uproarious collectionTHIS TIME TOGETHER. Now, this April, get ready for the latest installment in the best-selling TV DVD franchise: THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: CAROL'S CRACK UPS. Featuring 17 uncut episodes and a spectacular selection of specially-produced extras - many never before available in a wide retail release - the 6-DVD collection will be available for classic TV aficionados and comedy lovers on April 15th for $59.95srp.

Carol, the 2013 winner of the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, personally selected the 17 hilarious episodes in THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: CAROL'S CRACK UPS, from her extensive archive. They all feature one of the show's fan-favorite hallmarks: sketches so funny that they tested the strength of even the most seasoned cast members -- Harvey Korman, Vicki Lawrence, Lyle Waggoner, Tim Conway and later Dick Van Dyke. Among other unforgettable moments, enjoy Harvey Korman cracking up with Tim Conway in numerous sketches, and, see Carol try to hold back the laughs as Vicki Lawrence took the stage as her timeless character, Mama.

Across 6 spectacularly-loaded DVDs, consumers will crack-up along with Carol and crew in UNCUT episodes as they originally aired on television. Showcasing some of the most acclaimed and beloved moments from the legendary series from television's Golden Age, the set includes classic sketches such as "The Family," "Carol and Sis," "Alice Portnoy," "The Charwoman" and "The Old Folks," along with sidesplitting parodies and favorite segments including "TV Commercials," "Terminal Hospital,"Rebecky and Raised to Be Rotten. And, adding to the crack ups are guest stars galore, including such luminaries as Carl Reiner, Charo, Roddy McDowall, Ruth Buzzi, Andy Griffith and many others.

Fans of classic TV comedy will also enjoy hours of StarVista's acclaimed and extensive special programming featuring interviews, cast commentary and bonus sketches such as Valerie Harper and Tim Conway's installment of "As the Stomach Turns"; George Carlin's dentist sketch; the therapy
    session with James Garner and Ken Berry; plus the interrogator routine with Tim, Harvey and Lyle; as well as two brand new featurettes never-before-available: "Tim Conway: Chief Cracker Upper" and "Tim on the Street."

Go ahead - try not to crack up. The Carol Burnett Show is still zany after all these years!

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: CAROL'S CRACK UPS
    Price: $59.95

The collection includes:
    17 UNCUT Episodes on 6 DVDs More than 2 hours of bonus programming, including: Five specially-produced featurettes: "Almost Live", "Breaking Up Is Hard...Not To Do", "We Love You, Harvey", "Tim Conway: Chief Cracker-Upper" and "Tim on the Street" Bonus Sketches: "As the Stomach Turns," "Two-Man Sub," "The Interrogator," "The Oldest Man: Fireman," and others Exclusive interview: Tim Conway Guest stars including: Carl Reiner (Sid Caesar's "Your Show of Shows", 2000 Year Old Man) Charo ("Laugh-In"); Dick Van Dyke("The Dick Van Dyke Show", Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, "Diagnosis: Murder"); Gloria Swanson (Sunset Boulevard, "The Gloria Swanson Hour");Helen Reddy (Queen of 70s Pop: "I Am Woman"); John Byner ("Soap"); Petula Clark (International Recording Star: "Downtown", "I Know a Place"); Richard Crenna ("Judging Amy", "JAG", Rambo series); Roddy McDowall (Cleopatra, Planet of the Apes Series, Fright Night); Ruth Buzzi ("Laugh-In", "The Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts"); Steve Lawrence (Singer/Actor, "Police Story", The Blues Brothers)

[​IMG]

2. FanCollector

FanCollector Well-Known Member

Lee
    So assuming one has the 50-episode set from last year, how much of this set will be new? Most of it seems recycled, but a couple of the bonus sketches and special features don't sound familiar. Their use of the term "retail" in these press releases always makes it more complicated.

3. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    Fan Collector, if you happen to have the original megaset, then none of this material is brand new. i talked to a guy on Amazon who si in the know regarding this set and he made it quite clear it's a waste of money if you already bought parts of the megaset or the megaset itself, hence why I'm not plopping almost 50 buck for this thing. Here is what he had to say...http://www.amazon.com/Carol-Burnett-Show-Carols-Crack-Up/dp/B00HXWV2JQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394847623&sr=1-1&keywords=carol+burnett

4. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    And Paul said it best right here...It the case of the new 12-disc set Carol Burnett Show-Carols Crack-Ups Collectors Edition Set (not to be confused with the single disc special DVD), it is basically a re-titling of the 6-disc "This Time Together" DVD set with 2 discs from the "Carol's Favorites" DVD set. The remainder is the 4 discs of bonus material from the 22-disc mega set. A lot to pay for 4 discs of bonus material (some of which was re-purposed on the 7 disc releases).

5. FanCollector

Lee
    That was my initial impression, but the press release mentions sketches with Valerie Harper, James Garner, and a few others that are not on any discs in the megaset, which I do have. Also, some of the documentary titles are not found among the extras in the megaset. So I am wondering if there is just a single new bonus disc or if the new material is woven in among the already released stuff.

6. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    This definitely has some previously unreleased material. Those bonus sketches are NOT in the mega-box, which I own. And at least 3 of the episodes (the Andy Griffith-Helen Reddy episode containing "Rebecky," the Richard Crenna-Ruth Buzzi episode containing "Raised to be Rotten" and the Charo one) were not in the mega box. And two of them weren't even on Columbia House dvds. I'll wait to see a complete list, but this might be worth a double dip, depending on how much of it is unreleased.

I think the confusion may lie with the fact that there was a Time-Life exclusive set also called "Carol's Crack-Ups," which contained material from the mega-box, but this retail set is clearly NOT that set, as it has different contents.

7. FanCollector

Lee
    Thanks for confirming my impression, John. It is definitely frustrating not to be able to see clearly what is new and what isn't, or how to obtain the new stuff. Since StarVista/Time Life just generally repackages discs in various combinations, I wonder if the new material in this set is isolated on one bonus disc, or if the set has been entirely remade.

8. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    TL is releasing so many different versions of her sets, it's getting quite confusing to know what best to invest in and which ones to avoid. That guy on Amazon seems to know what he's talking about and like i said guys, to me, it's just not worth that kind of coin for the mere purpose of getting a few new skits and some bonus material out of it but whatever floats one's boat will become the eventual decision they make regarding buying this newest set.

If this new stuff was on the one-disc version of this latest release, then I'm totally in but not for a pretty big set like this forthcoming release.

9. FanCollector

Lee
    I agree about not being willing to buy the whole collection for one disc of new material. But the Amazon guy said there was NO new material, so I feel like we need to wait until the release to get a complete picture.

10. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    The guy on Amazon confused this release with the existing Time-Life website exclusive also called "Carol's Crack-Ups." They are not the same. But why T-L persists in using the same titles for various releases is beyond me. Once the full list of episodes is announced then we'll know how much of this set is new to disc. BUT I think it was very irresponsible for him to post a review claiming the episodes included based solely on his assumption before any press release from Time-Life.Also, as they did with various sets called "This Time Together," there may be additional, previously unreleased (i.e. not in the mega-box OR on Columbia House dvds) episodes that are exclusive to certain retailers, like Costco and Walmart.

11. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    In case anyone wants to see what all has been released and on what set, here is a list of the 73 episodes officially released on dvd (including the Costco and Walmart exclusive episodes). I will update this with the new release as we get specific documentation as to the episodes included.

View attachment CAROL BURNETT SHOW ON DVD.pdf

12. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    That is IF another release comes, but not sure when that will happen.Heard initially One More Time was supposed to be the last of the series of releases but it never materialized, but this just gets even more confusing with all these one and three disc sets.

13. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    And John, you brought up an excellent point as I forgot about these special Costco release versions that contains the extra materials on it. I just want some form of clarification as to what TL is releasing, what's on these sets and if there will be any more of these releases down the line that does contain the new stuff on them. I just want some order here so i know what I'm buying isn't going to turn out to be repeats or rehashes of previous released sets.

14. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
  15. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    TL has been offering that $99 Carol's Crack-Ups set for a while. (It is essentially half of the mega-box, more or less.) That's the one that the Amazon reviewer thought was being released to retailers.

And I don't think they're really offering a $199 collector's edition of it. When you click on the link it really is the Ultimate Collection from before. I think it's just poor website design leading to understandable confusion.

Essentially, they have 3 sets: the Ultimate Collection (50 eps on 22 discs); a "Best of..." set (25 eps, 2 bonus discs and the Collectors Book) and "Carol's Crack-Ups" (26 eps with all 4 bonus discs, but no book.) So far there is nothing new in the TL website offerings.

16. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    Thanks for the update John.

17. FanCollector

Lee
    I couldn't help it, so I wrote to John from TimeLife, who was always so gracious and helpful when we had confused questions about the megaset. He did some research and informed me that the 6-disc set entitled "Carol's Crack Ups" and being released next month contains 17 never-released episodes. (At least never released by TimeLife/StarVista. We didn't discuss the CH/GR releases.) All of the episodes and most of the bonus content will be new. This 6-disc set has no connection to the larger set with the same title currently on sale directly from TL/SV. That is a repackaging of about half of the megaset. This new set will not be sold direct, but only from retail outlets, like Amazon and other stores, both online and in person. So, according to the manufacturer, buying this new set should yield no duplicate episodes, even if you have bought the megaset. A few of the documentaries seem to be duplicated but there are also some entirely new ones.

Mark B and JohnMor like this.
  18. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    That is GREAT news! Thanks so much for doing that and sharing the info! I can't wait to get this set!

19. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    If this is the case, i might have to re-entertain the thought of getting this set then, if all of this info is correct and will Costco have their own 7-DVD Limited Edition version of this specific set then?

20. likewow

likewow Member

Mark B and JohnMor like this.