1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Time/Life Press Release: Mama's Family: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]
    DO YOU REMEMBER MAMA?
    BEGINNING THIS JULY, STARVISTA ENTERTAINMENT/
    TIME LIFE, IN CONJUCTION WITH WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT, INVITES YOU TO SPEND SOME QUALITY TIME WITH ONE OF TELEVISION'S ORIGINAL DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILIES IN AN EAGERLY-AWAITED TV CLASSIC
    COMING TO DVD
    MAMA'S FAMILY: THE COMPLETE SERIES
    Vicki Lawrence's Beloved Character , Thelma 'Mama' Harper, Stars Alongside​
    Rue McClanahan, Betty White, Ken Berry, Harvey Korman and Carol Burnett in​
    ThisHilarious '80s-era TV Classic spun off from "The Carol Burnett Show"; it makes its COMPLETE SERIES DVD Debut in a Collector's Set Featuring All 130 Episodes from​
    the Original Broadcast Masters, More Than 10 Hours of Bonus Content Programming,​
    Including a Cast Roundtable Reunion, the 1982 CBS Movie "Eunice", an Exclusive,​
    New Interview with Vicki and Carol Burnett​
    AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY ONLINE AT MAMASFAMILYDVDS.COM
    Mama's Family Complete Series Preview
    FAIRFAX, VA -- From the first time the wildly-popular sketch "The Family" aired on "The Carol Burnett Show" in 1974, Vicki Lawrence has been followed by a buxom, blue-haired, purse-lipped, 65-year-old widow. This is, of course, Thelma Mae Crowley Harper, Lawrence's indelible, abrasive and smart alecky alter ego who would eventually be spun-off into her own delightfully offbeat sitcom "Mama's Family," which debuted on NBC on January 22, 1983 and ran for six seasons. This July, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life, in conjunction with Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, invites all classic TV aficionados and sitcom lovers to spend some quality time with one of television's original dysfunctional families with MAMA'S FAMILY: THE COMPLETE SERIES. Marking the first time the entire run of this fan-favorite series will be released to DVD, the set will initially be offered exclusively online, available for pre-order for $199.95 at MamasFamilyDVDs.com
    Set in the fictional city of Raytown, MAMA'S FAMILY revolves around the eye-opening escapades of the Harper clan, headed by formidable matriarch, Mama Harper, a fiery-tempered no-nonsense woman who does not suffer fools gladly. In fact, she makes everybody suffer a little with her patented snappy retorts that truly put the "diss" in dysfunction. Across 130 thirty-minute episodes spanning six seasons, viewers are treated to hilarious - and sometimes heart-warming -- family comedy of the highest degree. Adding to the unforgettable mix are Mama's journalist sister, Fran (Rue McClanahan, The Golden Girls), who lives with her; her youngest son, Vint (Ken Berry, F-Troop), who moves in with his two teenagers after he is evicted; and Naomi (Dorothy Lyman, All My Children), who marries Vint by Episode 4. Mama's extended family includes her two daughters, highfalutin' Ellen (Betty White) and high-strung Eunice (Carol Burnett), as well as Eunice's husband, Ed (Harvey Korman).
    MAMA'S FAMILY: THE COMPLETE SERIES will arrive in a handsome collector's set featuring all 130 episodes on 24 DVDs. The first two seasons feature the rare, original broadcast masters (the "Joe Hamilton" cuts) of the episodes which fans have clamored about for years; they also feature Harvey Korman's hilarious introductions as Alistair Quince (spoofing Alistair Cooke). The set also contains over ten hours of specially-created programming including: a cast reunion roundtable with Vicki Lawrence (Mama), Ken Berry (Vint), Dorothy Lyman (Naomi), Beverly Archer (Iola), and Allan Kayser (Bubba), all-new cast and crew interviews, including the aforementioned cast, Betty White, executive producer Rick Hawkins, costumers Ret Turner and Bob Mackie and others, a very special one-on-one interview with Vicki "interviewing" Mama through the magic of split-screen; an exclusive new Carol Burnett and Vicki Lawrence interview, the 1982 CBS-TV movie "Eunice", which takes the Harper Family on a 23-year journey; an introductory note penned by Lawrence, key "Family" sketches from THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW and much more.
    "I couldn't be more excited that 'Mama's Family' is being released to DVD by StarVista/Time Life," said Vicki Lawrence. "They did such a wonderful job in bringing 'The Carol Burnett Show' to a new generation with their recent collector's editions, and now, consumers will finally be able to bring Mama and her relations into their very own homes!"
    "Well, it's about damn time," said Mama. "I thought I was gonna have to wait'll the Great Beyond to see this day".
    Following StarVista Entertainment/Time Life's triumphant release of THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW (which, to date, has sold over 4 million DVDs), MAMA'S FAMILY is certain to thrill fans who've been eagerly awaiting its complete, unadulterated DVD release for years. And, if you've never visited Raytown, you'll be glad you did in this spinoff sitcom that launched 1000 quips.
    # # #​

MAMA'S FAMILY: THE COMPLETE SERIES
    Online pre-order begins: July 26, 2013
    Price: $199.95

Online Exclusive Collection includes:

[*]130 episodes across 24 DVDs in a collector's set featuring eye-catching artwork and an introductory note from Vicki Lawrence
    [*]Collectible Mama's Family Album featuring character bios, a Mama's Family Tree, and interviews and anecdotes from cast members
    [*]Ten hours of specially-created bonus material including interviews, featurettes and more, including: a cast reunion roundtable with Vicki Lawrence (Mama), Ken Berry (Vint), Dorothy Lyman (Naomi), Beverly Archer (Iola), and Allan Kayser (Bubba); All-new cast interviews, including the aforementioned cast members as well as Betty White; A special interview featuring Vicki "interviewing" Mama through the magic of split-screen technology; An exclusive, new interview featuring TV comedy legends Vicki Lawrence and Carol Burnett; Crew interviews with executive producer Rick Hawkins, costumers Ret Turner and Bob Mackie and show writers Jim Evering and Manny Basanese; The 1982 CBS-TV original movie "Eunice" - the precursor to the MAMA'S FAMILY series -- which takes the Harpers on a 23-year journey; Key "Family" sketches from THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW
    [/list]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ron1973 likes this.
  2. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Well, I bet the neighbors are just lovin' this!

MatthewA, Andrew Radke and darkrock17 like this.
  3. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    This box set is now on sale on Amazon right now at $119.99!

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I am very very tempted right now...I need an hour or so to justify it in my head. :)

5. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Jason, it's a terrific show and it just got better after Season 3 and a damn shame they CXLED it after 6 seasons but thank goodness for this set being out now to the general public and retail outlets too.

6. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    Yes, it's just too bad about the few musical moments that had to be cut.

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Without a doubt, agreed. I love Mama's Family. I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I need right this instant or not.

8. Powell&Pressburger

Jack
    I got my set delivered today. I paid over next day prime shipping. This box set is a LOT bigger than I imagined it to be. Still at work so I won't open it yet. but it measures roughly a little over 7" side to side and a bit over 4" front to back and a bit of 9" tall.

It looks really nice. I am glad I held out for a lower price thru amazon. I've had it on my wish list for a long time. It is the lowest price it has ever been at $119.99/ I think the lowest price point previously was about $139.99

9. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Yeah, I looked up the historical price. It's never been this low. It comes out to $20 a season, which is a price point I can definitely handle.

10. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    Alright for a slacker like me, can someone answer a few questions about this set:

1 - does it include the 'Eunice' special in which they deal with Mama's dying?

2 - does it include any of the 'Family' skits from 'The Carol Burnett Show' ?

11. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    Okay, sorry for the last post. Just re-read the description of the box set and see my questions are answered.

BUT it says "key sketches", so not ALL of the 'Family' sketches are included????

12. Powell&Pressburger

Jack
    Yeah I suppose key sketches equates some of them. I suppose some are better than none. It is cool the Eunice tv movie is included.

13. potnoodle

potnoodle Stunt Coordinator

Will F
    No, only a few sketches are included: one featuring Betty White as Ellen, another featuring Maggie Smith as Bubba's teacher and also the very first Family sketch with Roddy McDowall. I think there were something like 25 Family sketches on the Burnett Show, so it would have been unlikely that Time-Life would have even considered including all of them on the "Mama's Family" release. My guess is that at some point, they will release all of the sketches in one set as part of their Carol Burnett Show DVDs.

14. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Bret, I think you'll find most of the Family sketches, sans one or two of them, on YouTube as there were about 39 total but I could be off give or take a few on that number.

15. Powell&Pressburger

Jack
    The box set has a magnetic closure which is nice. I kind of forgot how the packaging was since the box set was first released. The front cut out of the case that features Mama is actaully the booklet for the box set. I think it would have been better to have the front without the square opening. Inside each season is in its own case like the retailer editions and then the final 2 discs of bonus materials in its own case.

The first thing I watched was EUNICE which was on the Season 2 set. It was interesting how Ken Berry played Phil instead of his character as Vint. This was at times a much more serious story while having humor it contained so much honesty and truth IMO it was some good writing and good performances. Different tone then the more sunny episodes of the series for sure.

Eunice was always my favorite character on the show esp for the classic Rashomama. All the ladies had great lines on that episode and had to have been so much fun running through the diaglogue and chewing up the scenery. I only wish Carol would have come back to do more episodes through out the series run.

Really glad I was able to get this set at such a great price. It is still at $119.59 on amazon.

Kasey likes this.
  16. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Mine should be here today...when I'll be able to dive into it is another question entirely.

17. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    Rashomama is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series, in fact it may well be THE favorite. I too wish Carol has made more appearances. It really would have spiced up the syndicated years and I would have loved to seen her play opposite Beverly Archer. Apparently her nose got out of joint when Vicki decided to re-team with Joe Hamilton in 1986 so there was friction between Carol and Vicki at the time Mama resumed production (this from Vicki's 1995 book The Adventures of Miss Fireball).

Powell&Pressburger likes this.
  18. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    Anyone here go to SitcomsOnline?

There is this one individual who is an idiot (he will remain nameless). According to him, he refuses to accept the fact that there no more than 130 episodes of this. According to him, there were five taped but never shown episodes, and he actually believes what this other idiot said many years back. I argued with him for days, and this idiot refused to get the hint, so he put me on ignore.

I did not want to do this, but I have since taken it upon myself to find the tape dates for all 130 (not 135, like this idiot believes) episodes to prove he was wrong all along.

Mama's Family scripts occasionally turn up on eBay, and they list the draft of the scripts as well as the taping date, so this should be easy.

Oh, and here's the other idiot I was referring to:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showpost.php?p=3419319&postcount=58

19. Powell&Pressburger

Jack
    KASEY- Thanks for that info I always wondered if it wasn't something behind the scenes that caused her not to return. And yes it would have been nice for Beverly Archer to have interactions with Carol for sure.

20. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    My box came in yesterday and holy crap...is that thing heavy. I think it easily outpaces any other existing box set I have in terms of dimensions and weight. It's a beautiful box, too. I'm hoping to crack open Season 1 in the next week or so; I only like to watch one DVD/BD season at a time and I have one about half done now.