What's new

Time for new system (1 Viewer)

QuantumSlice

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Parsons
Fun opportunity for me... I am building a new system for the great room. I need this to be a 2+1 system. It has been many years since I have done this (>15). Money is not much of an issue... budget ~ $2K for receiver & speakers. The "Theater room" is downstairs and might be my next effort with larger budget. For now, I am looking for a great 2+1 system that runs a variety of devices. Here is the list: Computer HD signal, blue ray(3D), xbox, ipod, 50" HD TV, other? The receiver + speakers is the first quest in that i need to run wires when the contractor is here in a few weeks. I quickly found the Bose 235 system, which I understand from another thread I shouldn't pursue. Would like the front speakers to be mounted in deep pockets - can be 7" high by 18" wide. I recognize I can make my own covers. Any advice on where to start digging? thanks in advance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The H/K 3490 is one of the best stereo receivers out there but since you're going to hook up a BR player I'd go with a regular multi-ch avr so you can get Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA along with adjustable crossover and room correction. A stereo pre-amp will sound better but might not integrate well with your other equipment and requires a seperate two channel amp http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm Usually not a good idea to put speakers in a cubby hole so make sure they are not rear ported. Maybe think about in-walls? (I can't believe I just said that :confused: ).

QuantumSlice

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Parsons
So have worked this for 5 hours now... Yes, Bose=NO... My list has this on it: Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Audio LSi9, LSiC, PWS111. looks to be $2100. I see notes about using an Apple interface...iPad control... It appears that I can use the RX-A1010 to feed optical/HDMI to my poorer system downstairs - watch the same thing upstairs and downstairs ! Wow i did not realize any of this was possible until today ! I'll check out the other recommendations on speakers next... kind of settled on the receiver...

QuantumSlice

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Parsons
So, about the in-wall thing... I have a blank canvas right now. The contractor we just signed will do what I ask. I have two areas to "build in" something. Not sure of the gotchas on this. My current thought is he makes a rectangular hole in the wall - into which I stuff a speaker. There is plenty of depth to the wall (long story).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
My current thought is he makes a rectangular hole in the wall - into which I stuff a speaker. There is plenty of depth to the wall (long story).
Most standard speakers are rear-ported. So if you place them in a confined, or semi-confined, space you won't get optimal performance. They are meant to be somewhere around 4"-12" from the way and in open space. In-walls are designed to be enclosed. They are a compromise, but at least a calculated compromise. (They also tend to cost a bit more for equal performance.) If you can bring yourself to wall mount bookshelfs you'll get slighty better sound. If you go with in-walls, consider moving up one level in subwoofer to compensate.

QuantumSlice

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Parsons
I think by "porting" we are talking about venting the back side of the speaker cones... yeah, if i put these speakers in an enclosed opening they won't be able to freely move will they. what if i keep the back side open to the volume of the wall ? In this case I think there will be a lot of volume if I left the cavity open on the back side.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The LSi9's are on Polks ebay store as refurbished for $499 a pair. LSi7's are $400. The also have the LS-65 in-walls for $240 a piece. In any event, re-think the sub. Consider moving up about 4 levels. The PSW111 only goes down to 38 hz. Not low enough for a subwoofer. SVS, HSU, Lava, Elemental designs, BIC, almost anything else :) . You could also plug the port if it's on the rear. It will act as a sealed enclosure which won't play as deep but might be more accurate, or so they say. In any event, what you're trying to do will need some trial and error with interior volume and sound deadening material, whether you use bookshelves or in-walls. The good thing about the LSi series is they're designed to be mounted near or on the wall with their "Power Port" design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks