What's new

Time for another SVS upgrade. Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
As I speak I have 2 25-31CS+'s running off of a Sampson1000 amp. I also have 2 sonotubes with 4 Tempest drivers (2k watts) which gets insane loud. That upgrade bug has hit me yet again. Being out of the SVS loop for a while I see SVS now has newer "box" subwoofers that people are happy with. A couple of questions:

What would be the comparison to 2 B4's with 2 krell amps to my current systems?

Dollar for dollar is it a better idea to have 4 25-31CS+'s instead of 1 B4? Room not an issue.

I'm torn between 2 B4's or building a 3 Tumult power system with 3K watts burrowing through it. Ahh the decisions.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
It sounds like you like your bass... I just tested a B4+ outside to hit 118 dB at one meter with a Crown K2...

But what I like best about the B4+ is the SQ ...

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Joel - I just noticed you are in Buffalo... I am there a lot on business... usually stay at Salvatore's.

You might drop the SVS guys an e-mail about the 4 25-31 CS+ ... it would be less $$$$ than the B4+.

I also have a Denali here for sale, if you are interested...

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have had the very same question in the past JoelM. Tom V can correct me if I don't recall correctly but the four 25-31CS+'s would have a 3-5db advantage powered and placed accordingly. You can run four off of a amp like this http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHEP2500 and do very well if your on a budget.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you decide to go with the 4+. I need one more to make four.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Craig Chase,

The Garden Palace...yeah I'm very familiar with the place :)

I think I may go with the 4 25-31CS+'s for now then decide if it's not enough to keep me satisfied. I think when I reach or break 125-130 DB in room I'll be happy.

All I know is that it's going to get a little crazy positioning 4 subs correctly...so which me luck when I do pull the trigger.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what your room is like but in my leaky 2880 CF 12 X 24 X 10' ceiling I have hit 124-125 db uncorrected with three. That was under powered a tad also. Just in case your interested?

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Ah always love reassurance. We are about on the same page with my room being 13 x 25 x 10. So I'll definitely go the 4 25-31CS+ route. Probably going to break 130 db hopefully. If not I'll be happy with 128 Db. Oh yeah that BEHEP2500 looks like a very nice amp to integrate into the SVS's. Nothing like 600 watts going to 4 of them. Either 2 ohm x 2 @ 1200 or 4 ohm bridged @ 2400...very nice suggestion.

Dwayne-S

Agent
If you can afford it, you may want to check out the Genelec HTS6 for just under $10K. According to Stereophile Ultimate AV review (June 2004), the HTS6 hit 115db at 20hz, rising (more or less in linear fashion) to 126db at 40hz, and then 131db at 80hz. The $10K price does NOT include hearing aids.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I think when I reach or break 125-130 DB in room I'll be happy.
__________________________________________________ _______

You'll be happy and definitely have a handful. I can't ever imagen you wanting more. You will also have many tune options available with no worry? If you want more than the 4 then go with the dual dual's ;)

ChuckRG

Agent
Be careful about placement of 4 subs. SVS subs are great but it is VERY easy to end up with cancellation if these subs are just put in the room. I used to have 2 B4's and 2 PB2+'s. the 2 B4's by themselves sound MUCH better due to cancellation with all four running at the same time.

My 2 B4's are in a symmetrical position so I don't have any cancellation issues.

Good luck !!

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I would think I'll be OK if I throw them all into one corner of the room then work from there. Somehow I've had less problems in the past with cancellation of a cylinder as opposed to a box style subwoofer. Possibly because of the ports being upfiring.

I did try to integrate my dual Tempest sono's with the 25-31CS+'s and it was very loud...actually the ratshack meter was useless hitting higher then the highest SPL reading. The port tune on the Tempests was 16HZ and even with the port blockers positioned in the 25-31CS+'s I couldn't get a real clean sounding bass and was a little bit loose. This could be from the mixture of 15 inch subs along with the 12 inch. Either way I'll use the 4 CS+'s for the HT room and stick the Tempest sono's in the living room. All my old HT equipment from upgrades are making their way out to that area it seems. :)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The port tune on the Tempests was 16HZ and even with the port blockers positioned in the 25-31CS+'s I couldn't get a real clean sounding bass and was a little bit loose. This could be from the mixture of 15 inch subs along with the 12 inch. Either way I'll use the 4 CS+'s for the HT room and stick the Tempest sono's in the living room.
__________________________________________________ _______

Been there and done that myself. I tried pairing up dual 25-31CS+'s with dual ct 150's. Didn't matter what I did, it sounded like crap. Tried a AV15 and that did fairly well but still fell short. If you colocate all your like tuned SVS cylinders in the same corner like you suggest it will work out fine. From the list of subs you have had I think you know this anyhow. You can always experiment with EQ down the road after you have things beefed up to your preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks