What's new

Time for an official Snow Leopard thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First, it is my understanding that the upgrade DVD is the same
as the full retail. Same disc. Mind you, I am getting this info.
from reading other sites.

Secondly, can't say I am overly happy after just installing Snow
Leopard.

Many programs no longer work and I have to sit here until
manufacturers play catch-up.

Among those not working...

* Letterbox for Mail
* Mail Tags for Mail
* MiniMail (which looks like it will never be updated and I love it)
* Windowshade X (my favorite utility ever)
* Tivo Transfer

I will say my system feels somewhat more spunky than
before but nothing major to say here for the moment other
than I like the new Quicktime player for my WMV and AVI
files.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Well three of the programs you list are actually just plugins. It is unsurprising that after the main program changed the plugins will have to be updated as well; Firefox recently had the same problem going from 3.0.x to 3.5.

When you say Tivo Transfer, are you talking about Toast? Because the Tivo Desktop doesn't (officially) support transfers, IIRC. You should have a look at iTivo.

-Christian

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Christian,

Appreciate the recommendation for iTivo. Just downloaded
it. Having problems connecting. I have the media key but
not sure how to get the correct IP address.

I suppose Tivo Transfer (tied to TOAST) will be upgraded
with the next update of the TOAST software package.

Yes, all those plug-ins have not been updated. I went to
the individual websites and all are claiming that updates
are being worked on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ron,
Lots of discussion at Tivo Community Forums on Tivo and 10.6. The recommendations are for iTivo (download from Tivo) and pyTivoX (stream to Tivo). Hopefully you can get iTivo to work.

I share your pain on broken little (but important) things. It's Leopard all over again.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, Dave, I am not overly worried.

Usually it takes up to a month for everyone else to
catch up with updates that make their programs compatible.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, things will break, most will be updated in a couple of weeks. What bugs me is that now I am 100% dependent on my Mac for work, and I can't afford to take the chance. At most I'll do one out of my three machines...

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein ">[/url]

Christian,

Appreciate the recommendation for iTivo. Just downloaded
it. Having problems connecting. I have the media key but
not sure how to get the correct IP address. [/QUOTE]Ron, you should be able to see the IP address your Tivo has on the

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It seems that many should wait to install Snow Leopard:
  • 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 would be out, fixing the inevitable little glitches that become more obvious with a full public release
  • All the apps/plugins you rely on could update themselves and confirm compatibility -- although what have then been doing for months while Snow Leopard was in beta?
  • Some new apps that take advantage of GCD and/or OpenCL would be out, and so you could see a clear definite reason to upgrade.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Reminds me of the IT department I used to work with: never update a Windows OS until SP1 (some said SP2).

With OSX it's slightly different thinking for me personally. If there is some third party program I can't live without, and I'm not sure it will work with the new version, I'll hold off (i.e. Pro Tools). However, I have recently switched to Logic Studio, and I know that will work pretty much with any new Mac OS (it's one of Apple's Pro Apps) so my thinking changes to whether or not the new OS has improvements I'm interested in, and weigh that against potential apps not working.

In the case of 10.6, most of the programs I use were either certified to work, or were tested (or experts thought they would) work. I use mostly Apple apps (iLife, iWork, GarageBand, Logic Pro), Adobe (CS3 Premium, but even though it's not officially supported I knew it would work), and non complex third party apps which have a big chance of working with the new OS. Couple that with the improvements Apple touted and it was a no-brainer for me to upgrade. I don't regret updating on day 1.

That said, I can totally understand those who use a lot of programs that broke with Snow Leopard, and their frustration with the upgrade, or their decision to hold off. I think the decision of when to upgrade varies based on user needs for OSX, unlike Windows 98, 2000, XP and Vista where the darned thing didn't really run smooth until SP1 or later. Hopefully MS will learn with 7 (which I'm beta testing and fairly happy with).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina /forum/thread/292011/time-for-an-official-snow-leopard-thread/60#post_3601413

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
YAY!!!!!

The sleeping Mac dilemma I don't like to leave my Mac Pro turned on 24 hours a day, especially during the summer in my un-air-conditioned house. But I do want to have access to the files on my Mac when I'm elsewhere—at work, on the road, etc. It is possible to wake a sleeping Mac remotely, but doing so requires being on the same local network. My solution has been to leave a smaller, more power-efficient laptop on at all times on the same network as my Mac Pro. To wake my Mac Pro remotely, I ssh into the laptop, then send the magic "wake up" packet to my Mac Pro. (For this to work, the "Wake for Ethernet network administrator access" checkbox must be checked in the "Energy Saver" preference pane in System Preferences.) Snow Leopard provides a way to do this without leaving any of my computers running all day. When a Mac running Snow Leopard is put to sleep, it attempts to hand off ownership of its IP address to its router. (This only works with an AirPort Extreme base station from 2007 or later, or a Time Capsule from 2008 or later with the latest (7.4.2) firmware installed.) The router then listens for any attempt to connect to the IP address. When one occurs, it wakes up the original owner, hands back the IP address, and forwards traffic appropriately. You can even wake some recent-model Macs over WiFi. Combined with MobileMe's "Back to My Mac" dynamic DNS thingamabob, it means I can leave all my Macs asleep and still have access to their contents anytime, anywhere.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm really surprised how many people don't seem to get the fact that if you want the most seamless transition you wait until at least .1 or .2. It's not even unusual to Mac. It's the same for Windows. This is the first time I've upgraded before about .4 and I am actually surprised how smooth it was.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Want to make your head hurt? Read ARS Technica's in-depth study of Snow Leopard. Very techie, but also very insightful (if you've got an interest in the "under-the-hood" stuff).

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by JohnRice

I'm really surprised how many people don't seem to get the fact that if you want the most seamless transition you wait until at least .1 or .2. It's not even unusual to Mac. It's the same for Windows. This is the first time I've upgraded before about .4 and I am actually surprised how smooth it was.
I've already given my practical comment on this.

However, Apple also said and implied that this was no new features, no bugs. There was a reasonable expectation that this would be especially bug- and problem-free, by its nature.

Now, to that end, my experience is that problems all lie with developers not having updates ready on Day 1. But others with 10.6 bugs -- Apple really suggested that this should be the most flawless transition ever. Why wouldn't it be if it's all about scrubbing the guts with no new features?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

Want to make your head hurt? Read ARS Technica's in-depth study of Snow Leopard. Very techie, but also very insightful (if you've got an interest in the "under-the-hood" stuff).

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars
Pssst, look three quotes above!

Originally Posted by JohnRice

The only thing I am seeing broken is stuff like add ons to Apple software and things like WindowBlinds. The stuff that isn't working by and large seems to be 3rd party software that is doing hinky things that don't really comply with the whole apple philosophy to begin with. If you wanna do things your own way and not Apple's you shouldnt be shocked when that stuff breaks.

If people are shocked that Windowblinds is bugged they must not know much about that software at all, it changes core functionality that probably shouldn't even be allowed let along work! =) (I'm only half joking here)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/3201

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/20-best-new-features-in-os-x-10-6-snow-leopard-630191

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Interesting information for HP printer users. At work, I had to remove the queue of a networked HP OfficeJet 7410 and added it back in, now it works without problems. Interesting that scan functionality is also built-in.

-Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks