What's new

Timbre matched center for 1970's EPI? (1 Viewer)

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,
My current setup is EPI 90s as mains, A Klipsch kt-LCR (http://www.klipsch.com/kt-lcr), an rears are little Klipsch satellites from a defunct Promedia 2.1 set.
They are run through a Denon 1612 with my PS3 as my main source.
Now i don't feel that the LCR matches the EPIs at all. what can you recommend as a brand that would timbre match those speakers? I would also prefer a smaller center channel than the LCR which is just huge.
Thanks in advance
Nick

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Have I truly stumped the community???
Ok here is what I have come up with. There is a company called HUMAN speakers (started by a guy who worked for Genesis I believe which shared many parts with EPI/Epicure) He makes a center channel but its $450 and the net cost of all my current speakers is ~$70 I'll have to bow out of that.
Now here is some fuzzy logic for you. Boston Acoustics also used to share parts with Genesis and EPI if I am not mistaken. This was back in the 70s but could it be possible that the more modern Boston Acoustics could be a timbre match?
My next step is to approach a speaker store with this problem and ask if i can bring my speakers in and test them with the center channels they have in stock. Seems like that would be too great a burden for any store.
HELP!!!!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Sorry I can't offer much help, other than to state the obvious - consider getting a new front three. Keep the older speakers if you love them for music listening.

Trying to timbre match speakers is a crap shoot - only you will know if something is an improvement and whether or not the improvement is enough.

No big-box retailer will let you bring your own speakers in, but some boutique audio shops might - or they may let you borrow a center to take home - that's what a local shop did for me when I was shopping for new speakers - I loaded some towers and took them home for a few hours to listen in my environment.

Of course, it's a bit of a touchy issue if the guy lets you do all that, and then you DON'T buy from him...

Good luck - I hope you find what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks