What's new

Timbre match problem (1 Viewer)

Ray Kammer

Agent
I just hooked up a pair of 1980s ADS L1590/2 towers as the main speakers in my HT. They sound awsome in stereo mode and also really good in HT but when I use the test tone (pink noise?) from my Onkyo TS DX595 to try and calibrate the system the left speaker sounds different from the right one. The volume is about the same but the tone on one is higher than the other. I've deternined that all four speakers (two 10" woofers, a mid and a tweeter) in each speaker are working and that the extended high switch is in the same position on each speaker. Is this a common phenomanon? Is speaker placement a possiable cause of the different tone? Each speaker is the same distance from the TV and each is also level with the front of the TV and the center channel. However, one is in a corner while the other is on a side wall with an open room behind it, I.E. it's not in a corner. Can this be a cause? I know this post is long but I wanted to give as much info as possible so that some of you knowledgable folks could offer up some possible answers. Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did you swap them from side to side to see if the sound follows a particular speaker? If so, then something is wrong, likely a blown driver or damaged x-over. If not, then it is highly likely due to surrounding environment, as you said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks