What's new

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Off-topic, but I know there are some general Alice fans here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22554

Leah Moore (daughter of Watchmen's Alan Moore) and John Reppion are doing good work with Dracula and Sherlock Holmes. Unfortunately, this'll probably be really good. I don't need anything else to spend money on.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Matthew_Def

I get the sentiment, but it's such a short term criticism. Sooner or later you're going to be in the mood for that spaghetti again. And then you'll find it's even better than you remember. If Depp is right for the part and does a good job then somewhere down the line people will get past the constant collaboration angle.
Yes, exactly. IMO, their collabs have worked really well in the past - more often than not, anyway - so I don't really blame either of them for sticking for what works. Must feed off of each other's creativity or something. I know it's just a teaser, but so far, Johnny Depp looks pretty darn good as a Mad Hatter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One thing that I think was a mistake was the decision to make this a sequel (threequel?) to Through the Looking Glass. Since you're rehashing all of the plot points from the original story, why not just make a straight adaptation of Alice's Adventures Through Wonderland?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
New trailer up that shows quite a bit, looks amazingly fantastic. Can wait for the ride...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810078365/video/17167847

...which does offer up this, will Disneyland do anything to their AiW ride because of this film...hmmmmm.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
For those of us who are not current fans of the 'Alice' mythos...

Is this a remake or a sequel?

If its a sequel, what movie should I watch first?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
From the current trailer, it looks to be a sequel. Alice seems to be returning to Wonderland after her first adventures there. I've read the books but haven't really had any exposure to the film versions, so I can't help you. I'm sure it'll be pretty self-contained.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Yeah - definitely more of a sequel than a remake. I read an interview with Burton sometime ago saying that he drew from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass, as well as some of the "vibe" from the poem Jabberwocky for the story of this movie. Don't think there is a need to watch any of the other Alices, as I also think this one will be pretty self-contained.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Bumping thread - the movie opens in two weeks! Actually, it's premiering in London next Thursday. I'm definitely checking this out in 3D - saw the trailer ahead of Avatar and it looked amazing. Really can't wait to check this out - been waiting forever for it!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Controversy hits as AMC says they may protest:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/02/amc-dvd-disney-alice-wonderland.html

Two British theater companies and a majority of cinema operators in the Netherlands have already vowed to boycott "Alice" when it debuts March 5. Now, a major U.S. theater chain may follow the lead of Vue Entertainment and Odeon Cinemas in not carrying the movie.

AMC Entertainment, the nation's second-largest theater operator, is digging in its heels over the issue. Less than two weeks remain before "Alice's" release, but the Kansas City, Mo.-based company, which has more than 4,500 screens worldwide, has not yet agreed to screen it, according to three people familiar with the matter.
At issue is that Disney plans to have DVDs on store shelves exactly 12 weeks after March 5, for a DVD launch in the first part of June. This has upset theaters, who believe that the pressure of having a DVD/BD release so quickly after a theatrical run cuts into interest, and have pledged to take a stand. Word is Disney will have to negotiate a work around with AMC.
Humorously for Box Office fans, this "work around" may free up some 3D Screens to allow continued runs of "Avatar" alongside the Disney Spectacle.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What's up with Disney doing this? Why the big hurry to release this film on DVD and Blu-ray? They don't even know if it is going to have a successful theatre run? If it bombs theatrically, what makes them think that anyone will be waiting with anticipation of a home video release. The fact that they want to release to home video so quickly isn't reassurring me about the quality of Burton's latest effort. It makes it appear as if Disney's management thinks this film is a stinker that barely makes the grade for a theatrical release.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

What's up with Disney doing this? Why the big hurry to release this film on DVD and Blu-ray? They don't even know if it is going to have a successful theatre run? If it bombs theatrically, what makes them think that anyone will be waiting with anticipation of a home video release. The fact that they want to release to home video so quickly isn't reassurring me about the quality of Burton's latest effort. It makes it appear as if Disney's management thinks this film is a stinker that barely makes the grade for a theatrical release.
I think it has to do with not wanting to share money with the theaters. With home video, Disney gets all the money but during its theatrical run, they have to give some of 'their' money to theaters. Plus, it can't hurt to try and ride the coat tails of the multi-million dollar ad campaign that they have for the theatrical release (and in the unlikely event that the movie tanks, it would be even more important to them to get the movie out while people still remember it at all).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm all for it, go Disney. Now, lets get it to where it hits theaters and DVD on the same day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks