What's new

THX universal DVD player (1 Viewer)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
I really wish that they would make a THX ultra certified universal DVD player. Is a THX ultra certified DVD player necessary to get THX sound right? I will have a THX processor and amps. my speakers are High end def techs. I was planning on getting the DVD-2200. But wasn't sure if thx dvd was dire or not. Are the DVD players so good today, that THX cert. is not necessary to get good sound out of your THX process/amplifiers? George Lucas's speakers are not THX certified?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

To the extent that there's such a thing as "THX sound", it's a function of the processor, the speakers and (to a far lesser extent) the amps. Any DVD player will do.

M.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
The stream remains the same, Michael is right, its the processors job in the amp or receiver to take the raw bitstream from the DVD player and process it accordingly.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
hey thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate it. This stuff can be so intimidating for a novice. Does the speaker wire matter? I would take the previous comments as a 'no' that it would not, but i was just wondering. Thanks again!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Not so simple a question. There are those who believe with great passion and sincerity that the wires in a system have a major impact on the sound. I don't happen to be one of them. One should be sure to get a decent quality well-shielded speaker wire, but I wouldn't pay big bucks for a fancy label.

(Having said that, I should note that I haven't bought speaker wire in 8 years. So maybe there's something new I don't know about.)

M.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
well i have the standard monster cable. I thought that was just all that and some more. But some of this stuff that monster sells(bi-wire) front and center M series speaker cables is about 325 dollars for 8 feet of it. I mean, is there really THAT much more that you can do with copper for pete's sake!? I just got a really nice(in my opinion) def. tech system. The fronts and center have built in subs, which could be bi-wired, but it's just annoying to be a novice such as myself, and worry about whether or not you are driving yourself crazy about something for no reason really. and then it is not THX certified, and neither are the speakers, so in some people's opinion i am wasting my time buying a THX processor then. but i mean, George lucas himself uses B&W 802 which are NOT THX, so i mean, i ask myself, what's the point? I think that i'm saying that i don't see their being a night and day difference in the speaker wire either. But i'm a novice, so i'm not sure..

~Eric

Thanks again for your previous posts, i really appreciate the input/help.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
THX certification is overrated for players, in my opinion. :)

THX certification does not guarentee:

1) that a player has a good de-interlacer
2) does bass management correctly at least for DVD-A and SACD
3) a player won't have the chroma bug

In fact, if you look at the ratings at Secrets, www.hometheaterhifi.com , the Onkyo is near the bottom in terms of how they rate the video quality of players.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
hi, would an NAD T-773 or an ROTEL-1067 be good? If so, which one is better? I was really leaning towards the rotel, but wasn't sure. Does the Rotel has a 7 speaker or 5 speaker stereo mode? it doesn't say, and that is important to me. I know that the NAD has EARS.

Thanks again..

~Eric

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
oh, and thank you so much for the hometheaterhifi link. i am reading it right now, and i am actually learning an HONEST opinion on something.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Yes the Rotel has both 5,6 and 7 channel modes depending on how many speakers you have. The 1067 will be getting PLIIx as well soon and all recent Rotels have an XS mode that is similar to PLIIx already. Don't worry about THX certification and forget expensive speaker wire...at least for now. If you're going to spend any extra money on wire spend it on your video cables esp. if you have a larger TV as you're FAR more likely to see a difference then hear a difference.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
okay, so that is a standard stereo mode that you are talking about on the Rotel?(like a stereo X 6)on a yamaha so to speak? It is not an enhanced mode like Neo:6 or anything, right? . It just takes the 2 channel stereo and spreads it to other speakers. I'm probably confusing everyone by this. When will the Rotel hardware be updated, do you know. Thanks again

Eric

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The Rotel will do DTS NEO, PLII as well as the typical 5 and 7 channel stereo. The PLIIx code is being finalized as we speak and should be on the rotel website withing a couple of weeks (or less)..at least that's what I've been told by my contacts at Rotel.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
For Rotel? Typically prices seem to range from 10 to 15 percent off list...with most people getting 10 percent.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
he gave me a price of 1879, so i guess that is good. So is this upgrade just a software upgrade? It will not be an actual new unit coming out in a few weeks. You know what's funny, that thing is HUGE. It is SOO heavy, i could BARELY pick it up. It's quite beautiful. I listened to 'TOMMY' on SACD while i was there on the Bowers and Wilkins 804 fronts, something surrounds, with Lexicon LX-7 bla...bla.. And to me, it sounded a little harsh sounding? maybe i am just crazy and stupid, because that should be just as beautiful sounding as it would get

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!! That is one SERIOUS home theater you have got there!

I got 22% of my def. tech speaker package. still spent 4 grand exactly(including taxes). Is this good?

2 BP7002TL
1 c/l/r 2500
4 BPX surrounds

All cherry finish and factory sealed. I thought i got as good of a deal as i could have. They have not even shipped the system yet(they JUST came out with the 7002TL i guess). Will this Rotel 1067 have enough power for them? (was thinking about rotel separates and anthem20 proc.) but just sooo much money for right now. I've just spent a lot

Thanks again Andrew

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

Yes and there should be an upgrade cable in the box when it arrives.

As for going seperates just add a power amp later as the 1055 and 1067 will make exceptional pre amps...in fact there was virtually no difference between the 1055 and 1066 when used as pre amps so you're not missing much getting the receiver...in fact you gain a tuner that the pre amps lack.

Kevin T

Screenwriter

b&w's are nice speakers and all but from my listening and purchasing experience they are far from the most beautiful sound one can get. i don't care for b&w speakers too much but they do have a lot of fans.

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks