What's new

THX optimode or S&V setup dvd? (1 Viewer)

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a new RPTV last week (Mits WS 483111) and I want to do a first calibration using my Panasonic RP91. Which disk should I use? S&V setup dvd or the THX optimode found on Monsters Inc?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Totally Hyped eXpence Optimode is not trustworthy.
Does this surprise you?
The first release with this feature was a disaster.
Widescreen Review 'proved' that it had been transfered to the DVD improperly. So, if you set you video display to the Oppsimode, you screw up you picture.
Great, isn't it.
Where would HT be without TH$.
Cheaper & better, IMO.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
THX Optimode is not a disaster. It will do the job well if you don't want to spend money on a calibration disc.
I have the S&V disc and I'm glad I bought it. I would buy this atleast.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My experience with THX Optimizer:

Friend buys a new 32" Sony Wega Flatscreen. Puts in that King and I remake with Jodie Foster and Chow Young Fat (I'm drawing a complete blank on the name! It's driving me nuts) so he can run the optimizer. We run it, set it up as per its instructions, with much debate. In the end we are fairly confident that we did a good job. We run the movie and guess what... Everything is so far in the red that the picture is almost blurred. Whites look pink and I laugh my ass off over how "great" his new TV looks.

A couple of months later and I'm home relating the above story to a projectionist friend, who dosn't quite believe me. I throw in Anchor Bays Bad Taste collectors edition to run the optimizer to prove my point. We go through all the steps, run the movie and sure enough.. it looks FANTASTIC!! Not only that, but each subsequent disc looks fantastic as will. My Tv is a 27" Sony Wega Flatscreen.

So bottom line, who knows how reliable any of them are?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Avia if you've got the $ to spend, if not, then at least the S&V Disc... Im too poor to get either of them :p) And im from canada, so shipping's a bitch

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Definitely AVIA and a SPL meter. These will be the best investment you ever make.

Nick try ordering AVIA from either Indigo/Chapters (this is where I bought my version) or Amazon.ca. It is still an expensive disk but the shipping is reasonable.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks