What's new

THX Optimizer (1 Viewer)

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
I have the old Avia and THX Optimizer that comes with the Star Wars standard version DVDs and have heard about newer versions for HD TVs. Was thinking about picking up a DVD like the Incredibles, Toy Story or whatever to get the newer version if I need it. I'm not sure how much of a difference there might be between the two so thought I'd ask or will what I already have work ok on a LCD? I'm mainly concerned with black and white levels.

Also any tips on where to set the backlight setting before I calibrate? Thanks,

William

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Don't you hate when no one answers you? What you have will work fine for contrast and brightness. If you buy a calibration disc, the Disney WOW disc is highly rated and very popular.The backlight can only be set by eye unless you have special equipment. I would start off with 1/2 brightness, and see how it looks after you calibrate.

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jim and thanks for answering. :) I picked up T2 Bluray yesterday at Target for $5.00 and I think it has the latest THX Optimizer...supposedly and seem to be working pretty well since I've been using it yesterday. Assuming you know about adjusting the brightness with it I have a question...as far as the THX logo in the brightness test is it supposed to be where you do not see any of the shadow at all? That's how I'm understanding it and when I do that I can almost barely see the THX and no drop shadow. I'm ok with that but am wondering if that's how it's supposed to be. Same with the boxes too...barely seeing the 7th box and none of the rest or does it matter as long as you get one of the two correct? I have a couple other questions but I'll ask one at a time and thanks again for answering.

Willia,

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
Well I meant the 8th box and not the 7th in the brightness section. The contrast is my main problem as I can't blend all the white boxes into a solid white and with the contrast maxed at 100 I can still make out each box. After looking around I've noticed many people have their's set generally between 80-100. I set mine on 80 and seems to work good. Had it set much lower and it looked good...kind of deep colors but the blacks washed out a bit sometimes while at other times it looked very nice. So far with it set on 80 I don't get that washed out look but don't get that bold look either....might need to play with it a bit but the 80 setting seems a good starting point anyway.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'm sorry, but I haven't used THX in many years. If there's not a tutorial on there, I would check their website. What I do know though, is the contrast test won't work properly with a lot of displays. Contrast is very hard to set with any calibration disc. The next thing to look at when setting contrast is color shift(usually to a pinkish color) which you don't want. Back the contrast down below 80, then raise it and see if the color shifts. If it does, set contrast just below where the color shift starts.

You should post this in the "Display Calibration" section above

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks