What's new

"THX", "Dolby Digital" and "HTF" plaques (1 Viewer)

Max Baker

Agent
Tim,

I'm toying with that right now. It's hard to find pictures on the net that are not protected from printing. Also, if you find some that are not protected, by the time you blow them up they are distorted. Have you found some things that I haven't? I'll let you know if what I have turns out or not.

Max

Tim K

Second Unit
I was just going to "make my own" using Adobe Illustrator. Its basically just trial and error to find a font that matches the Dolby and DTS fonts. Once you match the font, it shouldn't be too hard. Plus, by making it myself I won't have to worry about distortion from enlarging images.

Tim K

Second Unit
I just created "my own" Dolby image. I am going to try to print it on a color laser printer this weekend and see how it turns out. I plan to make a DTS version as well, and maybe a THX version. I'm not too sure about the colors so I may try a few different varieties.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
As soon as I can afford it , I plan on buying some plaques from DesignbyBond! Very nice plaques!
They would make nice additions to my HT walls for sure.
They look very attractive and really well made. :emoji_thumbsup:
Later!

Tim K

Second Unit
Here is a sample of my THX image. I am thinking about trying to print these, cut out the images and attach the stencils to clear sheets (like for overhead projectors) and turn them into a backlight. I'm still working on matching the DTS font...

If anyone wants a copy of these full-size images (8.5" x 11" paper size), see my next post!

Tim K

Second Unit
actually, the Dolmen font is not quite right. The angles on the T are off, and the curve on the D is wrong. I thought it was Dolmen myself until I looked closer. I made a logo using the Dolmen font the other day, and if I can't find the real font then I will just wing it and do it by hand.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Yes, as I said, they are very close. If someone noticed that the top of the "t" in my dts sign was 1.2° off, I'd just have to shoot them before shooting myself. (yes, I checked it... 1.2° :D) And true, the "d" is much more offensive.
I just pulled the dts graphic from the dvdcovers site into my PhotoShop and printed it. It doesn't have the official fonts of the "DIGITAL SURROUND," but it looks pretty darn good to me, when raterized to a 7.5" x 7.5" file.
Here are some more links for those interested:
http://www.actuacine.net/Logos.htm
Very nice, BIG dts logo:
http://www.synphonic.com/Bilder/dts-color.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/manuz2/downl..._magnifike.jpg

Tim K

Second Unit
I agree, if anyone were to look at my logo and say that the angle of the T is slightly off I would have to shoot them....but I don't want to take the chance that someone could possibly catch me making a mistake!!!
:)

MikeWh

Second Unit
You probably don't want to hear this then, Tim, but the font weights on your Dolby logo look a little light and kerning is a little tight. (eeek... sorry.) :frowning: I actually did notice this, before physically comparing it to the official mark.
Sometimes it's an issue of two fonts not matching exactly, because the designer almost invariably uses a Mac or other non-PC platform or graphics workstation, and the PC True-type fonts aren't exactly the same (which is probably the case in the Dolmen font, as well). I've worked with logo conversions for years, and these font issues creap up all the time. I usually end up recreating it using a vector graphic.
Here's a comparison with the official logo from the .pdf that you cited (assuming this is a "perfect sample"). I proportionally scaled the two images. Their aspect ratios are a little off, too.
[link removed]
Sorry, man... I honestly wouldn't have mentioned it, but since you're going for perfection.... :)
BTW, I printed out the Dolby bmp on transparency film, using a high quality laserjet-- it looks very nice. I'll have to see what it looks like with some backlighting.

Tim K

Second Unit
Oh, I won't shoot you for pointing that out....I am aware of the differences in the word DOLBY. The specs claim it is "Eurostile Bold" which is what I used and it is clearly thinner in mine. I haven't yet decided how ot deal with this imperfection....but good eye!

MikeWh

Second Unit
Tim-- I decided to check the Eurostile font family, and the Linotype Eurostile Bold really does look right. Eurostile EF Black and Eurostile T Black look good, too. If you obtained a free version on the web somewhere, sometimes they are knock-offs of a commercially licensed one, and their metrics aren't exact. Hmmm...
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotyp...l?s=DOLBY&p=96
Or.... is it possible that you used the regular "Eurostile", then formatted it in BOLD style??? That's another common problem.
Also, depending on what graphics package you use, sometimes they have troubles converting ttfs to raster images (e.g., Visio is notoriously problematic in its raster conversions).

Tim K

Second Unit
I think I may have a ghetto version of the Eurostile font. Maybe I'll try to find a better one....or if you have it and want to send it to me that would be great too.

I am re-doing the Dolby image today based on the numbers in the trademark document. By tonight I will have this sucker as close to perfect as possible. Perfection isn't really possible since I can't have .825 pixels...but it should look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks