What's new

THX Classification (1 Viewer)

JamesCB

Second Unit
Could someone please explain the different classes of THX certification? I remember at first there was just "THX Certified", now there is THX Ultra, THX Ultra2, THX Select, I don't know if there are more. What is the difference in these? Are there differing levels of quality, different processing? What? Is this explained on the THX website?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
"Ultra" is essentially the original THX home theater spec.

"Select" is a watered-down version of the original spec. THX says it's geared to "smaller rooms". Detractors say it's a ploy designed to sell THX certification to manufacturers and products that wouldn't otherwise qualify. When "Select" was created, the original spec was renamed to "Ultra".

"Ultra 2" is a new version of the original spec. This article is a good introduction.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's a useful link, but can you find an explanation of Ultra vs. Select there? I couldn't. I also couldn't find the Ultra 2 specs, which is why I referred to the Home Theater Mag. article.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks