What's new

"THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut" to Street 09/14/04 (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

I don't give a **** about Star Wars, I have no interest in the films, the DVDs and especially its fans. In fact I wouldn't touch a Star Wars thread with a ten foot pole. I do care about THX-1138 though, and that is why I'm upset about seeing this film re-formed.

Where else should I post my disappointment?

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm going to wait until I find out just what the hell went on before I start wringing my hands and pulling my hair out, yunno? The Bits report isn't exactly detailed in any way. And we have till September to find out exactly WHAT got altered.

I'll wait to see what got changed before I start the wincing and gnashing of teeth.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Isn't there barely 100 shots in the movie to begin with? ::wink:

Seriously, I don't want to go on another rant, but if this is true, it is very disappointing.

Since it is the Rumor Mill, maybe it is just that. Although, the Bits are usually pretty reliable with their information. Sigh; I guess we'll see soon.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron

I find this question amusing in light of the Janet Jackson "exposure" at the Superbowl freak-out which still appears to be continuing and is regarded with much amusement on this side of the world.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
By "effects shots," they could also be referring to digitally cleaning up scratches on the print, or to color-correcting some scenes (yes, even the all-white ones!).

If it's something like adding more people to background scenes, I have no problem. I seriously doubt he's going to change those funky midgets near the end of the film into Jawas or Ewoks...

Take one red pill. In 10 minutes, take two more. Help is on the way!

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Well all that is confirmed so far is a restored version of the film with studio cut scenes put back in. Other rumors are just rumors, nothing to complain about . .. . yet ;)

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
Just watch, it'll look all normal until the very last shot, where instead of a single giant blazing sun, THX sees TWO blazing suns, meaning he's been underneath Tatooine the whole time!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I don't give a **** what he does to it. I watched it on video once (it may have been an extended version as well) and while interesting it was in no way shape a form a masterpiece.

Hell, we're getting the original student film. The feature film is the "big budget" version of that student film so if Lucas can make it closer to what he wanted more power to him. There were plenty obvious budget constraints in the original. If there's nothing terribly over-the-top, I don't see much reason to complain.

(No chance in Hell I'd buy it if the nudity is CG's out though:) )

Since he resubmitted it to get an R rating I doubt he'll do that. Afterall, he worked in a lot of boobs into a second or 2 of Radioland Murders which I believe was PG.

Can't wait to see what he puts in Episode III that will still pass for PG.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

hopefully nothing.
remember these aren't films made specifically for adults or even teens, they are made for the enjoyment of very small children, while at the same time being accessible for (the inner child of) adults to appreciate also.
it would be extremely irresponsible of him to put in anything that could be distressing for an average 7 or 8 yr old.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Lucas is pretty good at catching those type of continuity things wihen it comes to skies.

I was a bit disappointed he didn't have the sky continuity errors corrected in ROTLA. (Clear sky, overcast, clear sky, overcast)

Maybe he was afraid someone would shoot him.

Not all CG has to be blatant. I'l cheer "Yay, Lucas" if we get a little CG cloud in SW in the first binary sunset shot to match the cloud that's already there in the second.

I don't remember if there are any really cheesey FX in THX. Keep in mind, he didn't even want the little lightning FX on R2 at the beginning of SW, but he promised an FX guy he could do it once in the film.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yeah yeah, "The sky is falling...The sky is.." etc. etc. I don't buy that Lucas did anything even remotely close to the "Special Editions" on his first film...what would he be able to do in all reality considering what the plot line and mood of the film is? It is what it is, an Orwellian nightmare, and I don't buy for a second the ranting and paranoid muck raking from the usual suspects.

I'll wait and see for myself but I'm personally not very worried.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Saw this at theforce.net:

THX-1138 Gets More Crowded

Azer writes in to TFN with some news on Lucas' first film heading to DVD in a Special Edition:

I can 100% confirm that work on THX-1138 has been underway and additional filming was completed some time ago (before animatics for Episode 3 began production) for added (comped in) elements including many extras in scenes (most of which are staff of the Ranch who volunteered to be in it).

As far as these additions being made for a DVD release I don't for sure, but I imagine they are for that reason. Also the entire film has been digitally restored. I don't know if NEW scenes have been filmed, but many have been improved again mostly by making things more crowded.

More people walking around? A change I can deal with.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
News Item:....and to add a sense of impending chaos and realism to go along with all of the extra new bodies in the film, the rather 1960's-ish meditative Lalo Shifrin score has been dropped in favor of a more contemporary score by Depeche Mode...:b (bad attempt at humor)
----

I dunno, save for needing digital cleanup, I thought the film itself was PERFECT as it was. Why mess with perfect?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'll pick this up. The reactions to possible changes, I find interesting but not surprising. Many assume the worst when it comes to Lucas and the word change, and that's not a surprise. I've never seen the film so I'm not entering in to what changes could be made should be made or might be made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks