What's new

THRILLER DVD box set -- Hmmm... (1 Viewer)

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
[SIZE= 14px]There are multiple well-written reviews up on Amazon right now that complain about the audio quality of this set -- words like "terrible" and "horrible" and "distorted" are used.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Just how bad is it? The poor audio on THE OUTER LIMITS DVDs ruined those sets for me. Is is really that lousy on the THRILLER release too?[/SIZE]

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I don't think the audio is as bad as "The Outer Limits." The audio on the "Thriller" episodes I watched so far was crisp and clear, unlike "The Outer Limits," which I thought was a tad muffled.

Don't get me wrong - the audio tone fluctuates on some of the "Thriller" episodes, but it does not affect the clear, crisp sound of the dialogue or anything. My biggest problem with the audio was on the episode "Guillotine." In the early part of that show, there were synchronization issues, but they cleared up by the last half.

Overall, the audio issues have not been too much of a detriment on my "Thriller" enjoyment factor.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I agree that I have not heard any real issues with the audio on the "Thriller" set. It certainly is on par with many other similar releases and very clean.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I have now watched 11 of the 14 discs and other than "Guillotine" with its synchronization issue in the first half of the episode and "The Hungry Glass" which, as has been reported already, has awful audio in terms of the wind and effects, the audio for the most part has been okay.

I am happy to report that I have not encountered any further video "quirks" other than the ones I reported earlier; still curious if anyone else has witnessed those as well.

All in all, I am very happy with the series!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm picking through the episodes pretty much at random. Just watched "Guillotine". I wasn't sure there was anything wrong during the opening minutes, but the synchronization goes way off at about 9:30 -- the audio abruptly jumps way ahead of the video, and it remains noticeable for another 10 or 12 minutes.

For another anomaly, check out the prologue of "The Weird Tailor" on the same disc. The ambience of Karloff's voice changes abruptly at the point where he goes into introducing the cast.

I'm loving the set, no question. Funny, I always remembered seeing THRILLER as a kid, but I had no memory of any of the episodes. Years later I got the six episodes on laserdisc, so those were the only ones in my mind up till opening this box set the other day. This was worth the long, long wait.

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Just watched "The Merriweather File," and it shot straight up to one of my top favorite "Thriller" episodes. Absolutely superb. Another great one is "The Last of the Sommervilles." Karloff is superb in this one as a creepy doctor, but Phyllis Thaxter steals the show in a role you would not expect to see her in.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

For another anomaly, check out the prologue of "The Weird Tailor" on the same disc. The ambience of Karloff's voice changes abruptly at the point where he goes into introducing the cast.

The first episode we watched, "The Cheaters," had a related anomaly: in each case, he announces the character name, then the "played by [actor name]" is in an entirely different acoustic, obviously recorded at a different time and then spliced in. A production quirk, not a DVD defect.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
"The Fatal Impulse" written by John D. MacDonald and starring Robert Lansing was a nifty little noir episode with a classic hook (the authorities have to catch someone with either a bomb or the plague in time before disaster). And it was a hoot to see Mary Tyler Moore show up in a cameo (wearing librarian glasses to 'plain' her down).

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The transfers look fine, the episodes are complete, the mono audio is consistent with the time period, the packaging is perfectly acceptable, and the program is outstanding. I'm impressed by the literate writing, the acute and dedicated performances, and the technical know-how in front of and behind the camera. The Universal backlot, home of so many classic monster movies, looks great. These aren't just TV episodes, they are half-length feature films. I don't see how anyone can complain. Thriller was an impeccable program and this box-set does it justice.

Of course, not a lot of people have a $100-odd to spend ....

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
To point out how things have deteriorated over the past half century: when THRILLER premiered in 1960, the critics tore it apart. The New York Times went so far as to proclaim it a new low for television.

But fifty years later, compared to what's on television now, these shows seem like cinematic masterpieces, due to the level of the writing, directing, acting, sets, camerawork and music.

As for the price: I managed to get it for $78 online at Barnes and Noble. That's very close to half price.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Programs with a horror / supernatural content were derided, as a rule. If the critics didn't ridicule it they would call it a moral low for civilization. That is probably what The New York Times was referring to rather than its technical quality. But I see your point, and I agree the level professionalism and expertise evidenced in programs like Thriller, The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and even The Fugitive makes contemporary television look identical, idiotic, infantile, and inept.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Originally Posted by Richard--W

Programs with a horror / supernatural content were derided, as a rule. If the critics didn't ridicule it they would call it a moral low for civilization. That is probably what The New York Times was referring to rather than its technical quality. But I see your point, and I agree the level professionalism and expertise evidenced in programs like Thriller, The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and even The Fugitive makes contemporary television look identical, idiotic, infantile, and inept.
Old shows like Thriller, The Outer Limits and Night Gallery actually had Academy Award winners doing the photography. That doesn't happen on shows shot today.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
My set arrived from Barnes & Noble today, and I sat down and watched a couple shows I hadn't seen previously. One of them was "The Fingers of Fear" with 60's/70's tv staple Nehemiah Persoff, and while it wasn't a supernatural/horror episode, it was nonetheless extremely chilling even by today's standards, in that it focused on a psycho killer (in the guise of a well-dressed average-looking businessman) who was luring children into the park with a doll. Although the ending was rather abrupt and lacking, it was a nice example of a 'crime' episode from the series that was very taut and well-acted!

Looking forward to digging into more of the set this weekend--well worth the $79 I spent on it (thanks B&N coupon!)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by chas speed

Old shows like Thriller, The Outer Limits and Night Gallery actually had Academy Award winners doing the photography. That doesn't happen on shows shot today.

I recommend the guillotine eposide, because it is classic. There is also a good episode with Dick York with special guest start Boris Karloff as the uncle. I have watched several episodes and love the set. I also love shows like night gallery/outerlimits/etc. TV today cant beat some of the classices.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So why does Boris completely give away the twist in the third act in his introduction to "Knock Three-One-Two?" Talk about spoilers. But I was thrilled to realize the episode was another nifty noir (dark crime) story adapted from one of my favorite noir writers, Fredric Brown. Beverly Garland is also terrific in the episode, but the guy who plays the killer (hey, that's NOT a spoiler, Boris points him out up front), is the worst actor Marlon Brando lookalike the 60s ever produced.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I finished watching all 14 discs and ordered a replacement copy from Amazon to check on those issues that I identified back on post #57. They are still present in the replacement set, so I assume that the issues must either be in the source material or the DVD authoring/mastering process, but they definitely do not appear to be DVD playback issues.

This is an absolutely terrific anthology series and well worth the purchase price!

Darby

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
After watching a good chunk of episodes (I probably watched a little over a third), I realized how dark this series is. As to not spoil anything for those who might not have watched a lot of these episodes - or for those who have not seen any yet - I'll use the spoiler feature below for the balance of my analysis.

In just about every show there is somebody trying to screw somebody else over in a horrible way. Most of the main characters are the sordid types, and it's really hard to root for them. For instance, there are two episodes - "Cousin Tundifer" and "A Good Imagination - that star Edward Andrews, and in both of them he plays a completely unredeeming, murderous villain. But at the same time, both of Andrews characters seem to be the protagonists as opposed to the antagonists.
The antagonists, meanwhile, are usually sordid types themselves who are up to no good, but in some cases are not as sinister as the protagonists. Phyllis Thaxter in "The Last of the Sommervilles" is another example of this. She is no doubt the star of this morbid vehicle, but she's also the most evil of any of the other characters. Nothing works out good for any of the people within her orbit by the end, and she ends up getting away with her crimes. When the protagonists do happen to be good people in an episode, bad things usually happen that ruin their lives. For instance, in "The Incredible Dr. Markesan," everything turns out horribly for young newlyweds Carolyn Kearney and Dick York when York's evil antagonist uncle played by Boris Karloff kills Kearney and transforms her into a zombie. And it goes on and on and on ... William Shatner is the evil protagonist in "The Grim Reaper," Harry Townes and just about all of the stars in "The Cheaters" are lousy people who meet horrible ends, MacDonald Carey and his deal with Satan in "The Devil's Ticket," etc. And then there are the three main characters in "Guillotine." All of them are killers, and nothing works out for any of them by the conclusion. The same could be said for "Flowers of Evil," where the three main characters are bad, and all are dead by the end.
I'm not saying that any of this is bad. I'm saying it is unique. None of the anthology series' of the "Thriller" era were quite like "Thriller." Even shows like "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and "The Twilight Zone" could not match the dark, grim, macabre atmosphere of "Thriller." Watching this show makes you feel dirty. Just about everybody is bad, the endings are usually all grim, bad things happen most of the time for the characters that are good, and there is always that impending sense of dread. Ya got to love it.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by jquirk

After watching a good chunk of episodes (I probably watched a little over a third), I realized how dark this series is. As to not spoil anything for those who might not have watched a lot of these episodes - or for those who have not seen any yet - I'll use the spoiler feature below for the balance of my analysis.

In just about every show there is somebody trying to screw somebody else over in a horrible way. Most of the main characters are the sordid types, and it's really hard to root for them. For instance, there are two episodes - "Cousin Tundifer" and "A Good Imagination - that star Edward Andrews, and in both of them he plays a completely unredeeming, murderous villain. But at the same time, both of Andrews characters seem to be the protagonists as opposed to the antagonists.
The antagonists, meanwhile, are usually sordid types themselves who are up to no good, but in some cases are not as sinister as the protagonists. Phyllis Thaxter in "The Last of the Sommervilles" is another example of this. She is no doubt the star of this morbid vehicle, but she's also the most evil of any of the other characters. Nothing works out good for any of the people within her orbit by the end, and she ends up getting away with her crimes. When the protagonists do happen to be good people in an episode, bad things usually happen that ruin their lives. For instance, in "The Incredible Dr. Markesan," everything turns out horribly for young newlyweds Carolyn Kearney and Dick York when York's evil antagonist uncle played by Boris Karloff kills Kearney and transforms her into a zombie. And it goes on and on and on ... William Shatner is the evil protagonist in "The Grim Reaper," Harry Townes and just about all of the stars in "The Cheaters" are lousy people who meet horrible ends, MacDonald Carey and his deal with Satan in "The Devil's Ticket," etc. And then there are the three main characters in "Guillotine." All of them are killers, and nothing works out for any of them by the conclusion. The same could be said for "Flowers of Evil," where the three main characters are bad, and all are dead by the end.
I'm not saying that any of this is bad. I'm saying it is unique. None of the anthology series' of the "Thriller" era were quite like "Thriller." Even shows like "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and "The Twilight Zone" could not match the dark, grim, macabre atmosphere of "Thriller." Watching this show makes you feel dirty. Just about everybody is bad, the endings are usually all grim, bad things happen most of the time for the characters that are good, and there is always that impending sense of dread. Ya got to love it.

I have watched several episodes and some of the plot lines are very interesting, like blackout/guillotine, etc. You really need to pay attention at time to the story because certain items set up the story. I like these shows because they get you thinking. I would think this show is very similar to Night Gallery. I like that show as well. Today's show do not have the thinking or plots like some of the past show. I pencil that to the writers were much better in the old days. Today is all about reality crap and i hate seeing people's dirty laundry airing in front of me. Then again this is just my opinion and i am sure other people will differ. Life is about choices and it my choice not to watch tv today.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by younger1968

Today's show do not have the thinking or plots like some of the past show. I pencil that to the writers were much better in the old days. Today is all about reality crap and i hate seeing people's dirty laundry airing in front of me. Then again this is just my opinion and i am sure other people will differ. Life is about choices and it my choice not to watch tv today.

If you don't watch TV today, how do you know if it's good or bad? I don't like reality game show junk either but those shows don't make great shows like Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men, The Shield, The Sopranos or The Wire guilty by association.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young

Originally Posted by TravisR

If you don't watch TV today, how do you know if it's good or bad? I don't like reality game show junk either but those shows don't make great shows like Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men, The Shield, The Sopranos or The Wire guilty by association.
I flip on a show for five minutes and if it does not have my attention then i shut it down. If look at what i said about shows and it was just my opinion. I realize some people may like shows that are released, but, i am very old school with my viewing pleasure and that is ok with me. I am not asking anyone to judge me, but, just stating facts around my taste in shows. I was born in late 1960s and there is just certain genre i liked and they tend to be sci-fi, mystery, crime drama, family sitcoms, comedies, etc. I just prefer classic tv and that is my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks