What's new

Three-strip Technicolor on Blu-ray: any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Billy Batson said:
A few I'd love to get really good HD versions of:Dodge City '39The Four Feathers '39Northwest Passage '40Unconquered '47Sarabande For Dead Lovers '48The Flame & The Arrow '50Bend Of The River '52The Greatest Show On Earth '52Scaramouche '52The Robe (4x3 version) '53Hopefully I'll get a couple of these.
Criterion issued a Blu-ray of The Four Feathers three years ago. You can read my review here.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Speaking of Criterion and 3-strip Technicolor productions, let's not forget the David Lean Directs Noel Coward box set. This Happy Breed and Blithe Spirit are very nice-looking transfers.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Vic Pardo said:
I could probably come up with a list of feature film titles I'm interested in, although I'm quite sure most of those haven't even come out on DVD (e.g. WHITE SAVAGE, 1943; FRENCHMAN'S CREEK, 1944; I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU, 1946; DESERT FURY, 1947, etc.). So just off the top of my head, here are some titles from that period that I would like to see on Blu-ray:
"Desert Fury" came out on DVD a few years ago in Australia. Good disc.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
All this Technicolor talk gave me a hankering to pop THE RED SHOES in again over the weekend. Truly ravishing.

If you aren't sure which Powell & Pressburger blu to start with, I would recommend this one. It's going to give you that three-strip dopamine high that I think you're craving.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Cinescott said:
If I'm not mistaken (and I might be), How the West Was Won is in Technicolor and looks fantastic.
Eastman Color Negative 5250

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Cinescott said:
If I'm not mistaken (and I might be), How the West Was Won is in Technicolor and looks fantastic.
Hahaha. Three-strip Technicolor times Three-panel Cinerama. Imagine a camera with nine strips of film in it. Oh wait, that was Circle-Vision 360, except it was nine separate cameras all tied together.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Other good examples of Technicolor on Blu-ray include,
"The Mikado" (Gorgeous soft pastel colors - Criterion)
"Zulu"
"Quo Vadis"
"Pandora and the Flying Dutchman"
and one of the very best examples of later Technicolor and a superb quality Blu-ray "Circus World"

Doug.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Doug Bull said:
Other good examples of Technicolor on Blu-ray include,
"The Mikado" (Gorgeous soft pastel colors - Criterion)
"Zulu"
"Quo Vadis"
"Pandora and the Flying Dutchman"
and one of the very best examples of later Technicolor and a superb quality Blu-ray "Circus World"

Doug.
Zulu is a poor example, both versions are nowhere near what they could be, the UK edition has boosted contrast and colours while the Twilight Time suffers from edge enhancement and some fading. I also don't think Zulu used three strip Technicolor.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
EddieLarkin said:
Remember, after 1952 three strip Technicolor almost completely died off, and by 1956 was gone forever. Films like Zulu and Circus World were merely processed by Technicolor, not shot in.
Sorry, I missed the '3 strip' reference in the thread title.

Yet another senior moment.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Ah, another senior moment , from someone other than me for a change.
Now people know why you and I rushed in to order the R & H collection -- another couple of months might be too late for us!
And to be pertinent to this thread: the R & H Collection does include a really beautiful example of three-strip Technicolor ... 'State Fair' from 1945. The DVD looked pretty good so the forthcoming Blu ray should be wonderful.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Sadly, Universal's "FOXFIRE" which is listed as being the last 3 STRIP TECHNICOLOR production, is yet to make an appearance on DVD or Blu-ray.
A Blu-ray might be too much to ask for, but surely it deserves a DVD release at the very least.
I'd certainly buy either.

Here are some 35mm frame grabs.
fox1.jpg
fox3.jpg
fox5.jpg
fox6.jpg
fox8.jpg
fox7.jpg

fox2.jpg

Aspect ratio Bob?

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's sad that 'By the Light of the Silvery Moon' (1953) seems just a few months too late to have benefited from true Technicolor. Its immediate predecessor 'On Moonlight Bay' is in Robert Harris's list -- I must check my DVD to see if the colour is noticeably inferior -- though of course much would depend on the quality of the transfer. Would Robert be able to tell me what process was used for that later film?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have no idea, offhand, if Silvery Moon was shot three-strip or only printed via dye transfer. Entirely possible.

RAH

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
AnthonyClarke said:
It's sad that 'By the Light of the Silvery Moon' (1953) seems just a few months too late to have benefited from true Technicolor. Its immediate predecessor 'On Moonlight Bay' is in Robert Harris's list -- I must check my DVD to see if the colour is noticeably inferior -- though of course much would depend on the quality of the transfer. Would Robert be able to tell me what process was used for that later film?
I can't imagine it WASN'T shot three-strip.

I ran to check my copy of David Kaufman's biography of Doris Day and the book says it was shot between August 11 and October 14, 1952. a Technicolor production shot during that time frame would certainly only have been shot using the old camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks