What's new

Three Stooges Coll. Vol. 6 1949-1951, June 16 (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
OMG, that's even worse!

Now I have a sinking feeling they're going to try to give this a backstory as to why these three guys always lived together and even slept in the same bed, and why they were violent ... and they'll ruin everything.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's why I don't think this movie will happen. At least not in the form, they're currently talking about. Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro are two of the best actors of their generation and they're going to do a movie where they recreate Three Stooges gags for 2 hours? I don't believe that for a second. If a movie happens with them in the roles, it's going to be rewritten as a relatively serious biopic like Man On The Moon.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

A serious biopic would be acceptable to me. The problem with this is that the Farrelly brothers are attached. I doubt they could make a movie like that. They are known for more high-brow art such as poop and pee-pee jokes.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I dunno -- filming is supposed to begin on that in just a few months. We'll see, I guess. (To be honest, I can kinda see Sean Penn as Larry. Go figure!)

There was a made-for-tv biopic about the Stooges around 8 or 10 years ago. IIRC, it was pretty decent and might be available on disc.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
We can see where this is heading. It'll be about three goofy guys named Moe, Larry and Curly -- the violence will be way over the top --- there'll be things the real Stooges couldn't (and probably wouldn't) do, such as a flatulence "joke" every five minutes -- and I'll stick with the originals.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That sounds like something that Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro would do? Given the very serious nature of most of their work, I don't see them doing fart jokes any time soon.

Like I said, there's either going to be a rewrite and turn it into a biopic or they're going to have a different cast.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Joe,

Yes, I'll be sticking with the originals as well. That just about goes without saying. I won't be seeing this film, no matter what format/shape it takes.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the Mel Gibson helmed Stooge-TV-Biopic when it aired. I taped it onto SVHS and put it on DVD so you know I mean it. Perfect, no, but sincere in what it tried to do.
It was great fun seeing Chiklis as Curly. It ended with them coming out on stage in a live show to adoring fans in their rebirth after TV made them so popular once again.
It's heart was in the right place.

The Three Stooges (2000) (TV)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...40114.imgcache

The Three Stooges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"In spring of 2000, longtime Stooge fan Mel Gibson executive produced a TV movie (The Three Stooges) about the lives and careers of the comedians. Playing Moe was Paul Ben-Victor; Evan Handler was Larry; John Kassir was Shemp; and Michael Chiklis was Curly. It was filmed in Sydney, Australia and was produced for and broadcast on ABC. It was based on Michael Fleming's authorized biography of the Stooges, The Three Stooges: From Amalgamated Morons to American Icons. Its unflattering portrayal of Ted Healy led Healy's son to give media interviews calling the film inaccurate. The film regularly runs on the American Movie Classics (AMC) channel."

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
maybe it's more annoying that C3 is controlling this project since it means the heirs of Curly Joe DeRita are having input while the heirs of Moe, Curly and Shemp won't see a dime.

Joe:C

Second Unit
Oh man I really need to catch up. Every time I see a thread with a new announcement it reminds me that I need to start buying these sets!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
You really should. This is exactly why DVD's were invented. I never dreamed I'd be able to watch all the Stooges shorts any time I wanted.

Whoops -- I really shouldn't count my Stooges before they're hatched.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I haven't bought mine yet either. I almost did the other day, but then something else (tickets to a film for my daughters) came up.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
As of June 11, my local Costco store has Volume 6 for sale for $14.99 along with previous volumes in the series. Fans who do not wish to wait until June 16 for Volume 6 may want to check their local Costco store this week.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Did they actually sell it to you? Sometimes DVDs are accidentally put out early but they won't ring up at the register.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, from my experience at Costco, it won't scan at the register and the cashier will say he/she can't sell it to you until Tuesday.

Karl R

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a copy of Vol. 6 at Costco on Tuesday...no problems at checkout.
(When I saw it in the display, I simply thought Sony had moved up the release date to the 9th.)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My copy has shipped, so maybe Sony did release it a little early. I am looking forward to it today or tomorrow and have my weekend planned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks