What's new

Three Faces of Eve (1957) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

79552_large.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Last edited by a moderator:

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I love the look of 'Scope in monochrome, and always wanted to see this picture with its native framing (shot by the great Stanley Cortez).

Somehow I missed this one on DVD, but am now glad that I did. Already pre-ordered!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
ROclockCK said:
I love the look of 'Scope in monochrome, and always wanted to see this picture with its native framing (shot by the great Stanley Cortez).

Somehow I missed this one on DVD, but am now glad that I did. Already pre-ordered!
I agree with you - for black and white my favorite ratio if 2.35:1. Oddly, I prefer 1.66:1 for color. Weird that way.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Although the actors are grouped tightly in the middle of the frame, thus requiring no panning or scanning (which is how I saw this scene on network TV back in the 60s), just look at what is gained emotionally by the inclusion of their shadows on the wall(s):

Three-Faces-of-Eve-1957-David-Wayne-Joanne-Woodward-pic-8.jpg

Coincidentally, I re-watched TT's Blu-ray of The Wayward Bus this week with the commentary on (highly recommended, at least once), and was similarly struck by how much of the heavy lifting a well composed monochrome 'Scope frame can do for story and character.

Many of these late-50s Adler developed Fox dramas seemed to be continually walking on egghells so as not to run afoul of the Breen Office. And yet with a keen eye for lighting and composition, directors of that era still managed to get their more 'adult' points across...in many respects, more elegantly than during the explicit Code-smashing 60s which followed.

So black & white at 2.35:1 seems unique to the mid-50s through mid-60s...in fact, I'm at a loss to think of any native monochrome studio 'A' pictures wider than 1.85:1 after that*.

* Maybe some Indie/Foreign films?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
ROclockCK said:
So black & white at 2.35:1 seems unique to the mid-50s through mid-60s...in fact, I'm at a loss to think of any native monochrome studio 'A' pictures wider than 1.85:1 after that*.

* Maybe some Indie/Foreign films?
As I'm a bit of a Black & White 'Scope enthusiast, I can name a few post-1960s titles:
Manhattan (1979)
The Elephant Man (1980)
Girl on the Bridge (1999)
and
Control (2007)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Three Faces of Eve
Joanne Woodward brought home a Best Actress Oscar® for her unforgettable portrayal of a woman with multiple personality disorder. Woodward plays Eve White, a troubled housewife who begins seeing a psychiatrist. Under hypnosis, Eve’s two additional personalities are revealed: a vamp and an independent sophisticate — but curing her will require a probe into her disturbing past.
Special Features ● Theatrical Feature Blu-ray ● Commentary by Aubrey Solomon ● Fox Movietone News: Academy Awards ● Theatrical Trailer
The Three Faces of Eve Blu-ray Street Date: November 5, 2013 Prebook Date: October 9, 2013 Screen Format: Widescreen: 2.35:1 Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 English Dolby Digital 2.0 Spanish Dolby Digital 1.0 Subtitles: English, French, Spanish Total Run Time: 92 minutes Closed Captioned: Yes

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Mark-P said:
As I'm a bit of a Black & White 'Scope enthusiast, I can name a few post-1960s titles:
Manhattan (1979)
The Elephant Man (1980)
Girl on the Bridge (1999)
and
Control (2007)
Thanks Mark. I forgot Elephant Man and Manhattan were that wide.

But still, not exactly a bounty of 'Scope in monochrome post '60s. Probably excluded by a clause in the contracts now.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ronald Epstein said:
The Three Faces of Eve Blu-ray Street Date: November 5, 2013 Prebook Date: October 9, 2013 Screen Format: Widescreen: 2.35:1 Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 English Dolby Digital 2.0 Spanish Dolby Digital 1.0 Subtitles: English, French, Spanish Total Run Time: 92 minutes Closed Captioned: Yes
I wonder if this was released in four-track sound as were most CinemaScope films of the 1950's. Is Joe Caps around?

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
RolandL said:
I wonder if this was released in four-track sound as were most CinemaScope films of the 1950's. Is Joe Caps around?
I was under the impression that Eve was a stereo film. Joe Caps has mentioned on a few occasions that it was stereo, but on one occasion mentioned it was mono. Desk Set for sure was always mono.
Ronald Epstein said:
What is the purpose of the DD 2.0? Commentary? Or just a needless lossy track like on A Letter to Three Wives? I'm pretty confused, can anyone weigh in on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks