What's new

Thread from the Axiom forums, "Hsu STF-2, Hsu VTF-3, and SVS PB1+" (1 Viewer)

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
I agree it sure impressed me right out of the box with a min of fuss in setting it up and dialing it in. I would really love to read your shootout review, do you have the exact URL you can post or PM me.

PC

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Paul - Everytime I try to post a link from Home Theater SPot, it tells the person access denied... but here is a try for a step by step...

www.Hometheaterspot.com ... when you log in, at the top you will see "forums" ... click on that... then scroll down ... the 2nd to last is "The SPot for you" ... click on that... then click on "The Review SPot" ... and click on "Why have a subwoofer shootout?" ...

The 9th post on the first page (posted by lowroller) is a summary of the entire "VTF-3 Mark II and PB2+" test...

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

What about Dave's and Spiff's opinions? Leave mine out of it if you find it so biased.

Dave and Spiff like the VTF-3 better but:

The subs did not have optimum placement, and the SVS's EQ was not used.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
qualen...OK...that too.

Just so everyone knows my "review", here is the one post I made about the subs:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Curtis, I have no problem at all with your opinion. And I can assure you that there were no heart attacks from the shock of your assessment...

As for the other two, Dave and Craig's ... It is also OK that they had their opinions.

It is also ok to point out that they did not do blind tests, and this goes beyond optimum placement and EQ ... There was nothing even attempted to make this test objective.

Perhaps this will help. Curtis is a great guy, and Robb Roy is a great guy. Robb even has me set up where I can host pictures on a section of his web site. He is also very much an SVS guy. If he ordered a pair of 1220's and hooked it up to a non-EQed amp, say the Crown K1, and did a comparison with the PB2-Ultra. And for calibrating it, he used the Radio Shack SPL meter. Then he decides to do "unblind" tests.

Then invites two guys over to his house, and tells them, here is my subwoofer, the PB2-Ultra, and here is the Hsu 1220 pair. Let's listen to them, and they say "Yep, the SVS did this better... and that better... " and "But we think people will be happy with either" ... What would the reaction be?

For one... I would point out the shortcomings in this "review", And if he then said it was just a casual listening session, and not a review, I would reply it was definitely posted as a review... with a winner.

I would also ask this:

1. How do you know both were level matched broadband ?

Why? Because the unit that is a couple dB's louder will sound "better"

2. What frequency response measurements did you take to ensure each unit was calibrated properly?

3. What was the blind testing methodology?

In fact.... even if he DID use the Hsu Amp, I would want to know this information...

Fairness goes both ways...

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Craig,

We never said it was objective...it was for fun. Most of the posts on the forums are not objective.

Spiff's post and thread on the Axiom board got a great reaction and appreciation.

Robb...please order those TN1220's. :D

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Curtis, You are quite correct, you were not being objective. Holding you to an objective standard is not reasonable, and for that I apologize.

I have attempted to provide you with information about subwoofer design in general, and what can be done with the technology at hand to improve performance, which is not of much import to you. I will quit pushing the issue.

You are more of a casual listener who is not all that interested in all of this "maximum performance" stuff that we bass afficionados are into, and that is cool...:emoji_thumbsup:

There's a difference between a fun listening session and a scientific review. I don't think what we did was ever being sold as anything but a fun listening session.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Craig - while I agree that it was not scientific, you still typed it as a review, and picked a winner. Once you publicly post an opinion, it is subject to response.

That being said, It is noted that you were not doing anything objective, and that you are casual listeners having fun... and, as I said to Curtis, that is cool...:emoji_thumbsup:

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Very true...I am by far a bass afficionado, but I would not classify myself as a casual listener. My room and lifestyle does not lend itself to "maximum performance" listening. I can assure you though, I appreciate what sounds good to me.

To me, bass is only part of the puzzle, and is no more important than any other piece.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Craig - There is something about a wood finish... My wife would love for me to trade the VTF-3 in on the Rosewood when they become available... but I am holding out for the new TN series...

Having The "new" 1220's (no idea what the name will be) and a B4+ here is TOO tempting to pass up.

Of Course, If Poh Ser does Rosewood cylinders in the new TN, (Rocket does the finish work... same as on the Rosewood UFW-10, and my bride loves it) we KNOW what will be here.

I dunno...giant wood cylinders would be a pretty bold statement in any room. I think the cylinder subs are best in a discrete color/finish. Hide 'em in the corner type subs. It's not like they can be used as end tables. The box type subs lend themselves very well to nice wood veneers - as they can actually be used as furniture.

I'd NEVER get away with two giant wooden cylinders in my home. A giant "end table" would probably pass the SAF though.

Most of us don't have the luxury of a dedicated room for this stuff like you. (You lucky dog!) Having a dedicated room changes all the rules.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

I would also like to hold out for the new TN series...just don't think I could do a cylinder either.

The Rosewood VTF-3MK2 is available now:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks