What's new

Thread from the Axiom forums, "Hsu STF-2, Hsu VTF-3, and SVS PB1+" (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Shoot Craig, I forgot you were involved in audio back then....it never dawned on me to ask you about my Dad's early to mid 70's vintage RTR speakers before he GAVE them away two weeks ago.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Wow... RTR made some good stuff back then... were they the audiophile series ... or the high output ( they all had dual 12 inch bass drivers ) ...??

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
All I could tell you is that it looked like it had two bass drivers, a mid, and electrostatic tweets. They needed to be plugged into a 110AC outlet to work properly.

They were about 30"high, 30"wide, and 24" deep (these are just guesses), and my Parents had a custom stereo cabinet made to match them.

My Mom wanted to get rid of all if it because it looked too "70's". I asked my Dad to find a place to store them, even told him I would keep them.

I blew the a fuse on the speakers twice....when my Parents weren't home. :D

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
There is limited RTR information available on the web now. I have found some info...and even less pictures, but nothing that looks like the speakers we had.

Oh well....sorry....way off topic.

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
Why do SVS fans have to come in and bulldoze everyone elses threads or say that other people must somehow be wrong to prefer something over SVS and that their findings are geared at hurting SVS? It sounds like someone preferred HSUs tight base in this thread. Why do accusations have to be brought into this?

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
I was not talking about Craig Chase. Just a general feeling that I get. I like SVS myself, they seem to be a great company. It seems that some of their fans go a little overboard.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
Wait a minute...RTR?The first speakers I ever bought were a pair of 240d's,from a cop who was making too much money,way back in the 70's.I was just a teenager,he sold them for $200.You know anything about those,Craig?I think I still have them stored somewheres.I'm prety sure thats the model #..

WayneO

Supporting Actor
As an owner, yeah it's pretty blatant and embarrassing sometimes. No other group of owners make as many worthless "OMFG this sub is da bomb" posts as SVSphiles. SVS seems to attract those types for whatever reason. That doesn't negate the fact that in the same group there are many intelligent, helpful owners that will make sure you get the most from your sub. Flame me if you must, but it's a fact and examples can be easily had.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Doug - The RTR model numbers are a bit tough to remember... I remember the high output stuff was in the 101 series....

The audiophile stuff started with the 180's ... and they had electrostat tweeters... and the 240 series had dome tweeters... I am pretty sure....

OK... now for the SVS VS. Hsu Fantatic... this is for the "fringe" of each company's fans

SVS fringe... They are like the guy who was not real cool in high school... then went to college, and joined a fraternity. "SVS ROCKS man ! I mean, if you have not heard these subwoofers, OMG !!! They will blow your walls down with sound !" and "Man, if you aren't into SVS, you are missing out on the WHOLE SUBWOOFER experience !!" .... Of course, with the Frat guy... just put "Delta Sigma Phi where SVS was, and parties where subwoofers were... and you pretty much have it.

Hsu Fringe .... They are like the guy who went to college, and ended up in a cult. " You see, Hsu is the best because he is a righteous man. " and " Once you know THE MAN, you will understand why his products are the best "...finally..."The 6th order overdamped design with the perfect Hemp mix in the driver material is proprietary to Hsu..." And you start to think joining Amway will be his next move...

Right now, If you are laughing, you are NOT in the fringe of either company... :)

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Curtis,

I Love HSU and SVS, I exchanged emails with Dr. Hsu as well as Ron and Tom before selecting my sub. I'm not at all concerned that SVS didn't get a fair shake. I'm simply pointing out the hard time you and other HSU owners gave Craig AND Edward over their reviews. I thought the review posted over there was quite polite and fair minded.

I think both products are great, what sold me on SVS was variable phase and PEQ.

I don't take this stuff that seriously. Its a hobby that I enjoy a great deal. My post was intended to help you see how you could have been a lot easier on the other reviewers.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
OK.....I am LMAO!

Now that is WAY too funny!! I was part of a group of non-fraternity belonging athletes in college, when it came to intramural activities, we were at war with the Delta Sigs. One thing for sure though...Delta Sigs through a GREAT party.

DanaA

Screenwriter
As far as Hsu Vs. SVS, we should all be happy that both companies exist. My Hsu VTF-2 serves me excellently for my little home theater room. If I was replacing my sub, though, I'd look very closely at both companies or perhaps go a different direction completely with a home grown maker near my house. Just happy to have the options available to me.

As far as the test methods employed by Curtis, he never represented that it was the end all of shootouts. In fact, my impression from the start was that it was relatively casual in testing methodology. It should be taken as that. How many times are their reviews posted where the poster says something as simple as,"It rocks!!!" or "Killer!!!"

I'm with Stephen when he says this is a hobby. It isn't the Capulets vs. the Montagues. For me personally, I'm just glad I became aware of audio forums which led to my particular sub purchase.

I do know that when I hear subs in chain stores, they often are sadly in need of proper callibration or sound like a tub of jelly to begin with. This, again, isn't the case always, but I've heard it enough to be happy with the way my set up sounds. Sometimes, I think they turn up the subs way too high in stores just to attract potential customers who think more is better.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Stephen...please point out the "hard time" I gave to Edward and Craig. Remember not to take the quotes out of context when you do. And if and when you find them, compare them to your post.

Edward and Craig are big boys, they can take and dish with the best of them.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
I have had quite a few subs, but I have settled on the Hsu VTF-3MK2. I have heard the Svs PB1-ISD and PB2-ISD and they are good subs, but in the end I preferred the Hsu VTF-3 for it has a very tight and together tonality. I think hearing them helped clear up all the information that I got off newsgroups,reviews and forums. I am sure other people will disagree and may well prefer the sound of the Svs, but thats their choice.

PC

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
I would love to do this... take 6 SVS and 6 Hsu afficionados... let me set up an STF-3 and a PB1 ISD and properly calibrate them with my Behringer 2496 and TrueRTA software. This means EACH subwoofer is being played at its best... Then we do blind tests...

Each guy brings $1000. Each guy that can identify the subwoofer from the company he owns 75 % or more times correctly gets a $1000 from me.

But... Every guy who cannot identify which is which leaves his $1000 ...

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Craig...an EQ is not a required piece of equipment to use a subwoofer.

Did you invest in the Behringer company? :D

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Curtis, I am going to archive this one, because in three years, when EVERY high end subwoofer has Auto Eq built in... I will mail you your post, with some ketchup... hope the words taste good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks