What's new

Those who waited to buy a projector, the wait has paid off!!! (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
The new sony line of home theater projectors seem to really be nice. I think I'm going to pick this up blind. And if I don't get it, it should bring down the price of the older model projectors. Check this out from sony..
The lower priced VPL-HS3 model was created for those with limited space (40- to 150-inch screen size) or the need for informal home entertainment for watching movies, playing video games or showing homemade video. It integrates many of the technical advancements of its sibling, VPL-HS20 such as the new Cinema Black Pro feature for enhanced contrast level and brightness.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
The stats on it doesn't sound any better than some stuff out as of now like the Panny 300 or Sanyo PLV-Z1.....

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
The HS3 (unless you have found a real killer deal) is way overpriced IMO. You are better off with the X1, Z1, or L200/300.

RG

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well it looks like onecall has it for $1499 but I still think I would take the Z1 or the Panny 300 over it...

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yeah, after I posted that I went to look at the Panny 300 again(really like the 100th time :) ) and I realized that the Panny from specs alone blows it away.

But that just makes my other statement stronger that with this projector coming out it will make previous pj's come down in price, because newer models of other pj's can't be far behind the release date of this one.

I wonder how much of a difference this cinema black pro feature makes in comparison to the more popular projectors out right now.

DanFe

Second Unit
Actually, the HS3, the Panasonic AE500 (replacement for the AE300), and the Sanyo Z2 (replacement for the Z1) are all about the same price. Both the Panasonic and Sanyo are much better in specs than the HS3. The HS3, however, has an HDMI/HDCP input whereas the AE500 and Sanyo Z2 have the DVI/HDCP input. All will go for about $1500-2000.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Jesus, it doesn't come out till next year, I don't think I can wait that long.:frowning: :angry:
Check this out.
We've located this news scoop for you from the US although we're sure it will apply here too:

The PT-L200u (aka PT-AE200) has been discontinued by Panasonic at this moment due to lack of sales and the fact that this category of projectors is at the US$1000.00 price point retail.

Panasonic home theater plans still include marketing a 852 x480, 960 x540, and a new 1280 x 720 projector - thus the PT-L400... however, we have learned that the new 1280 x 720 unit will be called a PT-L500u (aka PT-AE500) and the 300 replacement unit will be a PT-L400u (aka PT-AE400).

You won't find info on the net... we asked the Panasonic factory engineer that visited us a few weeks ago and confirmed it with Panasonic HQ in NJ (USA). We know because we pioneered the category unlike the other companies who copy us. What company gave info and the first reviews on the 200 & 300? RitzAV.... enough said.

We don't expect any new units in the USA (or New Zealand) until January 2004.. however as with the 200/300... they will show up in Japan in late November 2003.

I am told that the 1280 x 720 will most likely have a DVI/HDCP compliant or the HDMI connection which Panasonic plans on putting on every DVD/ DVR down the road due to its' smaller size and capacity to carry digital audio as well.

Dan Clawson
Director of Sales/Marketing
Ritz Audio Visual Associates (USA)

We'll keep you posted on this one. At this stage we do not know what the difference will be between the current AE300 and the rebranding under the AE400 model number.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
The Z2 and HS20 will be out at the end of this month/beginning of next month. The PT-AE500 will be available in Japan in a couple of weeks and can be imported if you choose to go that route. Keep in mind all of these dates can shift.

I wouldn't put the HS3 in the same class as the panny 500 or Z2.

RG

David Guido

Auditioning
Am I looking at the wrong specs? I'm still new to this and still researching the projector I want to buy. I've had my eye on the HS3 and found this thread confusing. Just wondering if I'm looking at the wrong info.

Here's what I found:

Sony VPL-HS3
Brightness: 1200 ANSI
Contrast Ratio: 800:1
Fan Noise: 28db
Display: 858x484
MSRP: $1799
Street Price: $1150

Panasonic PT-L300U
Brightness: 800 ANSI
Display: 960x540
MSRP: $2799
Street Price: $1490

To me, it looks like the HS3 is the same, if not better, with a much lower price.

David

David Guido

Auditioning
They won't let me post URLs, so I'll try to make it understandable.

I found the HS3 at datavisioncomputer.com (no www's). Search for "HS3". When you find the product page, click on "Get Latest Price" or something like that, enter your email address and $1149.99 shows up.

I found the L300 through epinions.com. The vendor is shopperwiz.com. Both the projector and the vendor got good ratings.

David

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Brightness: 1200 ANSI
Display: 858x484
MSRP: $1799
Street Price: $1150
an lcd with only 858 x 484?

i'm using a dlp that has 1024 x 768 and am still somewhat bothered by the 'digital' appearence due to screendoor- at 2X screenwidths away.
lcd has a much lower fill factor than dlps, so i can't imagine being satisfied with a resolution like this.

if you aren't bothered by rainbows or think you could learn to live with them, i think you would be better off looking at an X1 or buying an LT150(1024 x 768) used ( i sold mine over the summer for $950--a bargin. before that i got 2 wonderful and satisfying years of use out of it..two yrs from now, you would probably still be able to get $300 for it)

those contrast ratios also look very unsatisfying, based solely on spec.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My Panny 200u is 858x484 and I am extremely impressed with it's picture. I had the X1 and it is no better. I in store demoed the 300u with some of my own DVDs and it's PQ was not much better (for DVDs) to warrent the extra $500. Hi-Def I'm sure would out shine the 200u quite a bit.

Peace Out~:D

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
At $1150, the HS3 begins to become a consideration. Although at that price, unless I needed DVI, I would probably still go with the Z1 due to the slightly increased resolution and the setup flexibility that the lense-shift affords.

Personally though, I am waiting for the Z2 to hit $1800, then I'm all over that one :)

RG

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Ron you don't think the 300 will any better than the 200 on dvd pq? I don't think I'll be doing any HD in my theater any more, I'll be moving the 65" upstairs and watching HD on it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
LaMarcus, from what I saw, no. It would bet out the 200 with HD for sure, but with DVD being limited to 480p, you'll be hard pressed to see a difference. I sure was.

The 300 does have SD reduction, but between it and the 200, I could not see any difference with the DVDs I used for testing. A slight defocus was needed on both machines to hide the SDE. Of course at the time of testing I was more so concrened with blacks and only brought darker movies. The bright daylight scenes will show SD at its worse. My front row is 9' from my 80" screen (1.35x's the screens width) and I can only see SDE in bright daylight scenes and it's very minimal. A slight defocus will hide it without affecting PQ.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.