What's new

This thread is for the birds! (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Golden Gate Park, Botanical Gardens on a VERY rainy day.

ducks.jpg

Alcatraz Island. Family of birds.

16763464645_618dd34cba_o.jpg

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
That's a cool pic of the two ospreys. We have quite a lot of them around here, they make places specifically for them to nest. Like they do for falcons, who probably make nests in even "weirder" (to us) places. I've noticed that over the years more and more types of birds are "coming back" to my area. Or moving here. Other animals too. It's like they've all adapted to the human incursion.

[No decent camera for bird shots, don't even take pics of my own...]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few shots from our visit to South Carolina last week:

Ibis

NC7A1561-X2.jpg

Wood Stork in flight:

NC7A1572-X2.jpg

Snowy egret

NC7A1682-X2.jpg

Roseate spoonbill -- was unlucky with this, as there were a couple right near the causeway when we drove into the park, but by the time we had parked and walked to the causeway they were roosting in the trees. This is the first time we've seen them, though.

NC7A1605-X2.jpg

Blue heron, keeping it's eye on me!

NC7A1569-X2.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Here are a few shots from Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina from last week:

NC7A2094-X2.jpg

Anyone for egrets over oysters?
NC7A2108-X2.jpg

This is by far the best look I've had at an osprey in all our visits to the park
NC7A2218-X2.jpg

NC7A2264-X2.jpg

This is not as good a shot of a painted bunting as I captured last year, but it is still such a cool bird to see
NC7A2307-X2.jpg

This was our first ever sighting of a green heron in the park
NC7A2276-X2.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
From Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina last week. The park sustained some damage from Hurricane Matthew, and there was some flooding from the salt water side of the causeway to the fresh water side, which seemed to affect what we saw. There were no alligators in the fresh water area.

NC7A3124-X2.jpg

NC7A3166-X2.jpg

NC7A3128-X2.jpg

NC7A3185-X2.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We made another visit to Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina last week. This is by far the worst visit we've had for viewing birds. I'm not sure if this is still a leftover issue from Hurricane Matthew, which hit the park pretty hard last autumn and caused some damage. There were a couple of alligators back in the fresh water portion of the area, though -- we saw none last fall after the hurricane.

NC7A3435-X2.jpg

NC7A3453-X2.jpg

NC7A3463-X2.jpg

NC7A3465-X2.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Oh, c'mon Scott. How excited were you when you snapped that first picture in that last post?

I'd have been jumping up & down! :D

What kind of bird is that?

Mike, I was really surprised when I looked through the viewfinder and saw the fish. BTW, that is a double-crested cormorant. Here is another shot of the same bird, plus a couple other shots of different cormorants from the same visit.

NC7A3673-X2.jpg

NC7A3703-X2.jpg

NC7A3670-X2.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Mike, I was really surprised when I looked through the viewfinder and saw the fish. BTW, that is a double-crested cormorant. Here is another shot of the same bird, plus a couple other shots of different cormorants from the same visit.

I love me some cormorants! They are more fun to watch some days at Conowingo than the elusive Bald Eagles. I'm hesitant to post this link cause I don't want ya to think I'm trying to show you up, but this is one of my fave pics ever. I posted it in the Conowingo thread but not the birds one.

Is that a hook in the heron's mouth or just feathers?

Love the wide eyed osprey and the crow/raven too. I have no idea how to tell the difference between the too, I should look that up =)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I love me some cormorants! They are more fun to watch some days at Conowingo than the elusive Bald Eagles. I'm hesitant to post this link cause I don't want ya to think I'm trying to show you up, but this is one of my fave pics ever. I posted it in the Conowingo thread but not the birds one.

Is that a hook in the heron's mouth or just feathers?

Love the wide eyed osprey and the crow/raven too. I have no idea how to tell the difference between the too, I should look that up =)

Sam,

No need for the spoiler -- that's a great shot of the cormorant with the fish that you captured! You do need to fix the link to the photo in your post, though -- you have an extra spoiler tag within the link. I had to copy the link and edit that portion out to get to your photo.

I am not sure which heron shot you are referring to with a hook or feathers.

If the crow/raven question was from my post from November 7, 2016, I am not sure if it was a crow, but it wasn't a raven. It was too small, and the head wasn't shaped right. It could have been a smaller crow, or some other type of black bird.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think that was some feathers catching the light just right, and not a hook. And, FYI, that's an egret, not a heron. ;)

I still do not think that's a raven. Here is a comparison with some ravens I shot in Yellowstone a few years ago. Notice the different shaped beak.

Yellowstone raven
NC7A1161-X2.jpg

Yellowstone raven
NC7A1162-X2.jpg

Unidentified black bird in South Carolina
NC7A3128-X2.jpg

Unidentified black bird in South Carolina
NC7A3138-X2.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Some bird photos from Everglades National Park, from which we just returned.

NC7A3745-X2.jpg

NC7A3768-X2.jpg

NC7A3826-X2.jpg

NC7A3793-X2.jpg

NC7A3830-X2.jpg

This is a frigatebird, taken at Dry Tortugas National Park. I didn't take my telephoto lens on that boat ride, so had to make due with a 24-105mm lens on a full frame body.

451A6424-X2.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Must've brought some of that FL warmth back with ya, Scott. Temps in upstate NY will hit 60 & 70 this week!

Photos are beautiful--as always! That pop of red in the first one really makes it stand out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks